Notices
ECU Flash

Broken 1.3U Cable

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2012, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Broken 1.3U Cable

All right so I've done some searching and haven't seen much and at least in my group of friends this is an issue.

My cable is practically brand new.. used it maybe 5 times? Went to go read my ECU in Ecuflash and then it died mid-read. Cable stopped responding (tried it on 3 laptops so far no indication that any laptop detects it nor evoscan and ecuflash)

I have a friend with a dead cable and another friend who has had his cable repaired 4 times.

What goes in these cables and is there a fix or a better fix?
Are the Openport 2.0's that slow where it makes the 1.3U worth it? (never seen a 2.0 on a evo 8/9 in action)

Thanks for any input
Old May 28, 2012, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

subscribed.
Old May 28, 2012, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
wires might be loose or pins not getting good contact. theres nothing in the cables except for wires. all it does is pin out the obd2 port to a usb port so you can hook it up to a laptop.

i have a 1.3 in front of me and it looks simple as is.
Old May 29, 2012, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

My only guess is wires inside are loose? If that's the case with the ones I've seen then there has to be a reason? Pins look/feel mint, like I said mine is practically brand new and worked perfect until mid-read

How do you crack these open without breaking anything? Guess that's my next step..
Old May 29, 2012, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by XSilverJ
My only guess is wires inside are loose? If that's the case with the ones I've seen then there has to be a reason? Pins look/feel mint, like I said mine is practically brand new and worked perfect until mid-read

How do you crack these open without breaking anything? Guess that's my next step..
I had to replace the cable on my 1.3 because of where the OBD2 port on the DSMs sit one of the wires broke inside... Re-soldered wires and worked fine. As for getting it apart just be very careful.
Old May 30, 2012, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Hah, I had a client attacking the clutch so violently he broke the mini-USB connector right off the PCB on my first OpenPort2 cable.

Its still sitting on my work-bench awaiting a repair attempt.
Old May 31, 2012, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

the 1.3 cable might be a pos but the 2.0 cables are even bigger pos. Where did you get the cable? and did you use your friends confirmed good cable to make sure it was nothing up with your car?

I had my 1.3u cable die and it was the 12v from that little white connector that ended up being bad, I bought another cable but I've been told you can just rig it and it will work fine.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Only issue I ever ran into with the 1.3u was the pin in the white connector pulling out
Old Jun 1, 2012, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

My 1.3u started acting up last night. As soon as I grabbed it to take everything inside, I noticed the white conn still sitting on the seat...

But I was also noticing that I was having intermittant connection issues with evoscan DTC clearing/checking. Would this indicate an issue with the connections in the black connector, or are the DTC functions just acting screwy in Evoscan? I seem to remember having issues with those functions in the past...
Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sujinX
theres nothing in the cables except for wires. all it does is pin out the obd2 port to a usb port so you can hook it up to a laptop.

i have a 1.3 in front of me and it looks simple as is.
Im 90% sure this is incorrect. There is a line driver/receiver inside cable. This handles the USB basically. The OBDII port does not have USB connectivity but it does have serial connectivity I think anyway. So the line driver/receiver takes car of the USB transmission.

So basically its not just wires. There is a small IC (integrated circuit or "chip") inside with a few supporting components. Like a resistor and some filtering capacitors etc. I found a schematic a few years ago on it but im not sure where it is now..

I have had my 1.3U cable since 2006 I think? After 6 years it still works perfect.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

I bought mine from Evoscan. I think on mine if anything it's an internal problem the pins and wires feel nice and solid and everything is there.

I still haven't taken it apart yet, I've been to busy, and I'm nervous about breaking the obdII connector lol I guess it doesn't really matter if the cable is already useless though..
Old Jun 4, 2012, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

i am willing to bet this is your problem, if you look at the red and white wire in the kinda top left, there are supposed to be 2 more wires under them. You have to be REAL gentle disconnecting these things from the ODB2 port and do NOT pull on the cable

i popped mine open, unsoldered the old cable and resoldered an old black berry usb cable inplace of the old one and superglued the cable to the housing with a little extra slack inside

Last edited by Sirnixalot; Jun 4, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

I just cracked mine open. All the wires were connected and all have continuity. Nothing looks visually askew. Won't connect.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:16 PM

they way these cables just go, they should have a replacement plan
Old Jun 5, 2012, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Even though they charge an arm and leg for a simple cable, why is it their problem that customers don't take care of them? I've used the same cable for almost 5 years with no problems before..

Quick Reply: Broken 1.3U Cable