Notices
ECU Flash

Flashing an Airtrek Turbo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2013, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey limaynard one other question or to anyone who knows.

What manifold will fit the stock one as a replacement.

I have my eye on this one but I'm not sure it will bolt straight up.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-...-585823277.htm

If someone could point me in the right direction I will be very grateful.

Cheers
Old Apr 24, 2013, 02:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't think it will fit, especially as it is designed for an external wastegate. It also looks too deep to fit in the limited space in the Airtrek.

I bought mine off ebay, stainless steel for around 150 AUD (180 Kiwi)

Seems good so far and fits the TD04 but it is a bit fiddly and I had to drill out the holes on the turbo (this is how it is designed) not sure why I did it really, although it looks cool especially when it colours up...

I will take a pc and post it up...
Old Apr 24, 2013, 02:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Not all TD04's are the same. I don't think it will fit either, plus external wastegates are a waste of time.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 02:32 AM
Evolving Member

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mitsubish...a1d6cae&_uhb=1

Here is the one I bought...
Old Apr 24, 2013, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by limaynard
I wouldn't think it will fit, especially as it is designed for an external wastegate. It also looks too deep to fit in the limited space in the Airtrek.

I bought mine off ebay, stainless steel for around 150 AUD (180 Kiwi)

Seems good so far and fits the TD04 but it is a bit fiddly and I had to drill out the holes on the turbo (this is how it is designed) not sure why I did it really, although it looks cool especially when it colours up...

I will take a pc and post it up...
What do you mean by drill out the holes? If I'm still using the stock turbo. Might get the Kunigawa one later on to replace it. Yeah pictures will be much appreciated
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:04 AM
Evolving Member

I have the Kinugawa 19t td04. The holes in the square flange from the manifold to the exhaust side of the turbo are tapped but to fit the manfifold that I bought you need to drill out the tapped hole and put a nit and bolt through the holes (actually i only drilled out one but it was a PITA to tighten the other bolts.

It was a full days work for me but I wasted so much time before I bit the bullet and just drilled out one on the holes...

I am still trying to tune the turbo. With the change of turbo, BOV and air intake, coupled wit the tactrix 3 port, it needs a serious tune.

I am almost there but I need the Evodroid to enable me to log boost alongside AFR, load, WGDC, blah blah...

I am getting there but the first time I fired it up it hit 21 psi before it blew off the intercooler joiners... That was easily fixed but this turbo flows 30% more so it needs some serious thinking about.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

A quick update.

Had a stainless resonator welded into the customer stainless exhaust. This has stopped the drone and the car sounds more refined.

I have adjusted the boost curves to keep the boost more consistent.

It was hitting the boost cut / fuel cut in 3/4th gear when close to WOT. I think this was due to me setting the Boost Limit too close to the Boost Desired Engine Load. I have reduced the WGDC at the higher rev ranges and lifted the Boost Limit slightly to compensate and I will be testing today.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

And I will post some pics of the engine bay showing the manifold, turbo etc. I will take them tomorrow.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

Here are pics of the engine bay.

You can see the Evo BOV/BPV, the Apexi Intake and the stainless exhaust manifold.
Attached Thumbnails Flashing an Airtrek Turbo-img-20130427-00186.jpg   Flashing an Airtrek Turbo-img-20130427-00187.jpg   Flashing an Airtrek Turbo-img-20130427-00188.jpg   Flashing an Airtrek Turbo-img-20130427-00189.jpg   Flashing an Airtrek Turbo-img-20130427-00190.jpg  

Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:17 PM
Evolving Member

Another one. The two bolts in the turbo flange closest to the cylinder head were almost impossible to fit. As I said, the back left hand side had to be drilled out so that the supplied SS bolt could be instered from below. It may have been easier to drill all four out but I thought that the least drilling the better.
Attached Thumbnails Flashing an Airtrek Turbo-img-20130427-00191.jpg  

Last edited by limaynard; Apr 26, 2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 03:25 AM

Nice set up bro. Super clean. Something i noticed was the intercooler pipe that goes from the turbo outlet to the intercooler seems longer than normal. Is that because the pipe from the turbo itself does not stick up as far as the stock one? Did you custom weld the whole set up or buy it somewhere? If so, how much did it cost you to do? I've seen sets on RHDJapan for $600+ NZD. But I quite like your set up, super clean.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 04:46 AM
Evolving Member

The IC pipes I had made up by the guy who made up the exhaust.

He did it for next to nothing je made a pipe to that came straight off the turbo outlet.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't see why you guys don't go down the TD05 route. I'm making 206kw at 20psi and its fun to drive. My conversion cost me less than NZ$1,000. That was a brand new Evo 7-9 HDI front mount intercooler kit that needed one pipe cut and a silicone joiner. I just happened to be in the right place and pick my turbo up real cheap, which is still going strong after 3 years. Plus, the front of the car looks great with the intercooler sitting where it should be!! lol
Old Apr 27, 2013, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

Geeg, the TD05 was an option I considered but really I just wanted a drop in that looked stock. Once this is properly tuned I would expect to be getting similar figures but time will tell I suppose.

I also don't really have the space and facilities in Sydney to be doing major work. If I had been back in Wellington then sure with my big double garage then I would have probbly gone that route.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

I am also managing to get the boost control settings sorted. Thanks to all of the articles, postings and advice but especially due to Greg's definition file. The latest one especially has a couple of other tables that help with boost control.

i will write and post a discussion article on managing boost, based on what I have learned, and hopefully people will contribute and we can get a definitive view of what works...

Quick Reply: Flashing an Airtrek Turbo