Notices
ECU Flash

New Evo owner....need some assitance with Speed Density

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2013, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Evo owner....need some assitance with Speed Density

So i finally got all the mechanical bugs worked out and now i would like to be able to drive/tune it. This ROM seems to have a speed density setup using the fuel temp sensor.

I have tried to attached a log I took yesterday but XLSX files dont seem to be allowed. I saved it as a xml spreadsheet but it looks to be too big. Here are the issues I am having:

1. Car goes way lean when decel/coming out of any gear. Almost feels like it gonna die and then it ctaches itself.
2. While cruising I dont seem to have steady AFRs. They seem to be all over the place at certain load points.

From what I know I want to get my Lo and Mid fuel trims as close to 0 as possible correct? I do this by making adjustments to the VE table? I dont see any VE table that i am used to seeing anywhere in the Rom(DSMLink User). I assume the column Load1B is the load column that i am in to determine this.

I could not find anything when i searched this forum for it. If i am looking in the wrong spot please let me know as well. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old May 12, 2013, 01:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What rom are you on?

What mods? Injectors? Did you scale the injectors and how?
Old May 12, 2013, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Rom: 9651706

Car is pretty much stock. Has I believe an Ebay FMIC, Exhaust and Exedy Stage 1 clutch. Injectors are stock.
Old May 12, 2013, 04:29 PM
Former Sponsor

1. When you say coming out of gear or decel, that sounds like 2 different things. Decel is in gear, out of gear means neutral. If it's in gear it should go lean (inj shut off). If it's in neutral, then it maybe ISCV tables and/or VE, AFR Map tables, etc.

2. Show screen shot of log or zip it and post on here. You can also email it to me puredriveperformance@gmail.com You may need to adjust VE in those areas. What else did you change on the tune?

Also, for LT Low and Mid with stock injectors on CL, you need to adjust your RPM and MAP VE.

This is a pretty good thread to start you off. I don't do it exactly this way, but every tuner has their style of doing it: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ched-roms.html

It seems like you're self tuning. I recommend handing the tuner duties over to someone like me. I can tune it on SD, then you can look and learn from what I did. And I answer all my customer's questions. Either way, I'm sure you'll get it. I'm just a shortcut.

Last edited by PureDrivePerformance; May 12, 2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Meant to answer questions
Old May 12, 2013, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

1. Sorry in Neutral...I never use the gear to slow the car down. I just read about the ISCV thing and i am going to look into that as well.

2. I uploaded a scaled version of the log. Let me know what you think is going on. I am not sure i am logging the correct values either so let me know if that is the case as well.

I will consider seeking a remote tuner. I wanted to give this a shot before doing that.

Last edited by Big Bald; Oct 11, 2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old May 13, 2013, 07:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Are you in OL or CL during cruise? If in CL, log O2 sensor feedback.

Also log KPA and AirFlow in addition to what you have. You can uncheck LTFT High.

Have you read that guide to SD Tuning?

By logging O2 sensor, you can see what/why the AFR's are swinging. You also maybe hitting different KPA loads.
Old May 13, 2013, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

I have started reading it. Which is how I got somewhat started here.

I will log this values and see what's happening.

I assume I am going into closed loop. If there a way in evoscan to verify this?
Old May 13, 2013, 11:37 AM
Former Sponsor

The O2 sensor will stop feedback once you go into OL.
Old May 13, 2013, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Best way to dial it in quick is in open loop, then turn closed loop back on.
Old May 16, 2013, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Airflow is pretty obvious.

1. By KPA you are referring too Barometer?
2. I did log o2 Sensor and o2 Feedback trim...are those the values you are referring too?

Not sure of those are pre-populated or if I need to manually add them.

These are my open loop tables......seems different from what i have been finding on this forum.

Last edited by Big Bald; Oct 11, 2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old May 16, 2013, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

I found the formula to log my omni 4 bar in kPa.

Still alittle confused about o2 Feedback.
Old May 16, 2013, 08:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Big Bald
Airflow is pretty obvious.

1. By KPA you are referring too Barometer?
2. I did log o2 Sensor and o2 Feedback trim...are those the values you are referring too?

Not sure of those are pre-populated or if I need to manually add them.

These are my open loop tables......seems different from what i have been finding on this forum.
Oxygen Feedback Trim (STFT) is the one.

Kpa formulas per Jamie/Dynotech:

OMNI 3 BAR MAP KPA
Code:
Code:
<DataListItem DataLog="N" Color="" Display="OMNI 3 bar kPA" LogReference="OMNI3barKPA_load" RequestID="38" Eval="x*1.23755087" Unit="kpa" MetricEval="" MetricUnit="" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="300" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="300" ScalingFactor="1" Notes="" Priority="1" Visible="False" LogHide="false" />
OMNI 4 BAR MAP KPA
Code:
Code:
<DataListItem DataLog="N" Color="" Display="OMNI 4 bar kPA" LogReference="OMNI4barKPA_load" RequestID="38" Eval="x*1.63345239" Unit="kpa" MetricEval="" MetricUnit="" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="400" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="400" ScalingFactor="1" Notes="" Priority="1" Visible="False" LogHide="false" />
OMNI 7 BAR MAP KPA
Code:
Code:
<DataListItem DataLog="N" Color="" Display="OMNI 7 bar kPA" LogReference="OMNI7barKPA_load" RequestID="38" Eval="(x/255-0.04)/0.0012858" Unit="kpa" MetricEval="" MetricUnit="" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="700" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="700" ScalingFactor="1" Notes="" Priority="1" Visible="False" LogHide="false" />
Old May 16, 2013, 09:01 PM
Former Sponsor

I found the formula to log my omni 4 bar in kPa.

Still alittle confused about o2 Feedback.
Do you have Oxygen Feedback Trim (STFT) on your EvoScan? Log that after resetting your LTFT by taking off the negative battery terminal for 5 seconds.

Let's say the O2 feedback says -12% at 2000 RPM's at 40 KPA, then you know you need to adjust VE in that/those areas. Now the question is do you change ve in the RPM VE or the Map VE or both. Ah...that's where trial and error come in and/or experience. That's where a pro tuner can get to it quicker.

I'd recommend having me tune it and you can learn from what I did. I remember 5 years ago IIRC that a tuner told me that. I didn't do it. It literally took years to figure a lot of it out. It can be done, but I'd be a shortcut.
Old May 18, 2013, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Is there a formula people are using to convert their 2D Speed Density tables over to 3D? I would prefer to start there and learn this as it is what I am used to on other ECU's. I am going to switch to the 96234706 ROM.

I am logging o2 Feedback, KPA now. In reference to your other post are you saying that o2 sensor feedback should essentially read 0 while I am in Open Loop?
Old May 18, 2013, 03:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Is there a formula people are using to convert their 2D Speed Density tables over to 3D? I would prefer to start there and learn this as it is what I am used to on other ECU's. I am going to switch to the 96234706 ROM.

I am logging o2 Feedback, KPA now. In reference to your other post are you saying that o2 sensor feedback should essentially read 0 while I am in Open Loop?
There's a great, very long thread, on Speed Density 2.0 (3D). Search for it.

O2 sensor will read 0 when in OL. When in closed loop you want it as close to 0 as reasonably possible (it never will be).

Quick Reply: New Evo owner....need some assitance with Speed Density