Notices
ECU Flash

Self tuning help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2013, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Self tuning help

So im following the recomplie, tune your evo videos on youtube. My car has a number of mods from s2 cams to TBE catless and muffler delete/ aem tru boost, oil pressure and wideband, ets intake and intercooler. Im having issues with idle and going lean under WOT. How can i steady my idle close to stoich and have a more consistent afr under load? Also how do i detent knock and prevent...super nood here, any help is much appreciated
Old Jun 28, 2013, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Also.....im running ngkbpre7's wondering if I should be running NgKbpre8's
Old Jun 28, 2013, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Fuel pump? Injector size?

BPR7ES plugs are fine.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Stock pump/stock injectors(dont flame me) im ordering a wally.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

You need AT LEAST a fuel pump upgrade. And then further into tuning you will discover because of your S2's you'll need injectors as well. I suggest just stop tuning where your at.. load the stock tune, order your fuel pump and injectors and take it to someone who knows what they're doing. Your on a collision course with a hole in your block.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 01:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by awdwannabe
You need AT LEAST a fuel pump upgrade. And then further into tuning you will discover because of your S2's you'll need injectors as well. I suggest just stop tuning where your at.. load the stock tune, order your fuel pump and injectors and take it to someone who knows what they're doing. Your on a collision course with a hole in your block.
I thought learning how to tune is what people recommend. What's so wrong about it?
Old Jul 7, 2013, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
I thought learning how to tune is what people recommend. What's so wrong about it?
going about it the way you are, putting carts before horses. because if you get it too wrong you'll be buying a motor soon and you are getting it wrong.

this discussion should have been had BEFORE the cams were installed, you haven't mentioned who installed them, when, why or who tuned with what specific ignition, so we don't know if this is a screw up you made or one you bought/inherited.

To remedy the situation and provide the necessary information to help you, you should start with reporting the complete history of the car's modifications, to include individual part choice motivation and ultimate goals.

until you do that, no one here will be much motivated to try to help you, since it's an indication that you can't be bothered to help yourself.

Last edited by wjamyers; Jul 7, 2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wjamyers
going about it the way you are, putting carts before horses. because if you get it too wrong you'll be buying a motor soon and you are getting it wrong.

this discussion should have been had BEFORE the cams were installed, you haven't mentioned who installed them, when, why or who tuned with what specific ignition, so we don't know if this is a screw up you made or one you bought/inherited.

To remedy the situation and provide the necessary information to help you, you should start with reporting the complete history of the car's modifications, to include individual part choice motivation and ultimate goals.

until you do that, no one here will be much motivated to try to help you, since it's an indication that you can't be bothered to help yourself.
Your right. Car was bought as is. I got it for a good price and from what I see runs good. It has buschur TBE with no cat or muffler. Ets intake, ets intercooler and piping. S2 cams with springs and retainers. Megan manifold and o2 which I'm gonna replace with ets manifold and muse dump. I'm just looking to learn more about the tuning side of things without pushing it
Old Jul 7, 2013, 07:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
You need to check your injector scaling (fuel trims ). Make sure lean spool is disabled. Select knock in Evo scan and watch that. Get your afr mid elevens at wot. You can run wastegate boost to help you learn with out as much risk. Target a leaner afr at lower boost.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
You need to check your injector scaling (fuel trims ). Make sure lean spool is disabled. Select knock in Evo scan and watch that. Get your afr mid elevens at wot. You can run wastegate boost to help you learn with out as much risk. Target a leaner afr at lower boost.
Is this relatively simple to do? My only main concern right now as far as tuning is to be safe that is all. I want a good idle, good spool, no stalling with ac.