Notices
ECU Flash

Very strange WGDC behavior - 5th gear only?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2013, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Very strange WGDC behavior - 5th gear only?

very confused by this. i am in the process of tuning my car on ecu boost. 1-4th gear are working as they should and tuning is going just fine, as i have those 4 gears almost right where i have them...but boost error is still logging maxed out even though im almost dead on matching my psi table.

the main issue im having can be seen here (this basically doesnt let the car make anything more than waste gate pressure. the knock count is there because the low boost is sitting me in a bad part of the map...on mbc i had zero knock in 5th gear with the same maps):

here are my ecuflash tables:

my local atmospheric pressure is almost dead on 14.2, and my map sensor has been zero'd out to reflect that.

i have no idea why this is happening...any thoughts/input would be awesome!
Old Jun 30, 2013, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

derp...im 99% sure its the "high knock boost drop" table kicking in.

this is still confusing since my mbc curve was very similar and never knocked...i guess i need to retune 5th gear spool?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
As far as the boost error goes, check to be sure you have the correct map sensor selected in the BDPSI table, then set the psi you want. Also, set 6th and 5th up the same, and confirm you have the right gear/rpm settings.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

im gonna go out on a limb and say the map sensor is set up correctly since every other gear is working. i had the thought that it could somehow have something to do with the 6th gear columns being zero since i have a 5 speed...but i had no idea how they would be connected to each other.

ill take a look at some stuff tonight again. i map traced where i was hitting in the log and found some unsmooth areas from converting to big maps, so i pulled out a few degrees and lessened the cell to cell jump in the 80-100 load area.

im a little confused though with the rpm/gear settings...i assumed i never needed to touch those since it was never an issue before?

Last edited by killerpenguin21; Jul 1, 2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

You said that the boost error was reading wacky, even in 1-4..
Old Jul 1, 2013, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

woops yeah, now i see what your saying.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

well my original theory is wrong...under mod options the "drop boost on high knock" option is off.

everything looks ok to me with the map sensor. im also above the "min load for boost control" limits.

should i have setup my rpm/gear table before all of this? it never really came up until now, i just assumed it was set fine from the get go.

is there any reason the wgdc table would interpolate over a column? the 0.5% wgdc is super strange...

im not really sure what else to check...
Old Jul 3, 2013, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ExViTermini
set 6th and 5th up the same, and confirm you have the right gear/rpm settings.
^^x2

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
is there any reason the wgdc table would interpolate over a column? the 0.5% wgdc is super strange...
You switch to 6th gear, so
0% + what I'd guess being the remaining boost error correction from MAF IAT WGDC correction table or directly from the closed loop system.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by domyz
You switch to 6th gear, so
0% + what I'd guess being the remaining boost error correction from MAF IAT WGDC correction table or directly from the closed loop system.
i dont have a 6th gear, so it never occurred to me that that would be a possible issue. never even thought about having an issue with the rpm/gear table...but it would seem logical that i am jumping between columns here, not sure what else could creat such odd behavior.

heading out to test some stuff shortly.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
i dont have a 6th gear, so it never occurred to me that that would be a possible issue. never even thought about having an issue with the rpm/gear table...but it would seem logical that i am jumping between columns here, not sure what else could creat such odd behavior.

heading out to test some stuff shortly.
Good luck. If you change something like tire size or wheels...that need new numbers in the rpm/mph table. Edit: I'm wrong the ECU won't see it: Speed sensor will react the same vs RPM like before, only actual car speed would change.

Last edited by domyz; Jul 3, 2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

so it appears that putting the 5th gear wgdc into the 6th gear column worked, meaning my rpm/gear table is off just far enough.

still having issues with boost error though. but i actually have the boost right where i want it, so im not worried about figuring that out right at this moment since i can just leave correction off for now.

thanks for the ideas guys.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

I hate to reiterate this, but Ive run into it being the problem before.

Right click on BDEPSI, and be sure under the data value scaling that your map sensor is selected. If it isn't/wasn't, fix it, and then set your desired boost. Do the same for boost adder as well.

Also, ensure the boost error correct table has the correct map sensor selected too.

Last edited by ExViTermini; Jul 3, 2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

seriosuly, thanks man. when you mentioned it previously i didn't know to right click on it so i wasn't 100% sure what you were saying.

i just checked it and BDEPSI is set to scaling of "PSIa8 JDM3BarMap"...guessing the better option would be "PSIa16 OMNI4barMAP" since thats the sensor im using?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Stick with whatever the psia8 or 16 is for all 3 respectively, just be sure the sensor is right. Also note the program wont permanantly save your selection, close ot and reopen and it will revert back. You can go in the xml and change it there though to take care of it.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

so it needs to be selected on boost adder and bdepsi, whats the third map?

whats the change that needs to be made in the XML? it seemed to hold the change after one exit/restart

Quick Reply: Very strange WGDC behavior - 5th gear only?