Notices
ECU Flash

Rich idle/cruise AFRs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2013, 05:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rich idle/cruise AFRs

I just starting digging in to ECUFlash and EvoScan with my Open Port 2.0 cable a few days ago. I've had experience with DSMLink back in the day, but this is my first time tuning an evo. I loaded Tephra V7 and started scaling the MAF at low end (closed loop).

I have an odd issue where idle and cruise afrs read a little rich. This has been the case since before I started tuning. The wideband reads between 13.8 and 14.5, and the ecu reads 14.0 to 14.8 roughly. My evo has an open K&N filter on stock intake tube, evo ix bov, and 3" TBE with no cat. I assumed scaling the maf should adjust these values, but they have not changed. My fuel trims are pretty close to 0 (< 5%), so I think that is ok. I looked at the fuel tables and they are stock at the moment. I'm not sure what else to check. Any ideas?

Also, on cold starts, afrs seem a bit leaner. Wideband reads in the low 15's and ecu reads similar. Once it is warmed up, idle gets back down to ~800 rpm and idle is same as above.

List of mods are K&N open filter, 3" TBE with no cat, and mbc set at around 21psi. Otherwise the car is a stock 03 evo 8.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 05:53 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone? I'm going to do boost leak and exhaust leak checks.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

I ran some seafoam in the car today to see for exhaust leaks. Absolutely no smoke except for out the end of the exhaust. However, after burning off all the seafoam and changing the oil, it appeared that idle afr's went lean about .2 points on average. I didn't log yet, but I'll log tomorrow on the way to work. Next up is checking for boost leaks.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 05:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
subscribed. My car tends to run a bit on the rich side at cruise as well (14-14.5 afr according to the wideband). It's got stock injectors so I've always wondered if it needed to have the MAF scaled.
The following users liked this post:
Jonno99 (Nov 1, 2020)
Old Oct 15, 2013, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you accounting for the fact that evos stock maps are rich from factory? I'm by no means a genius in tuning so off the top of my head I'm not sure what the stock numbers are but I do know I've done a lot of reading in the ecuflash tuning area and the stock maps are rich.

If you search you may be able to find a stock evo 8 map to compare to yours. I actually may have one on my laptop.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 05:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you are correct, at WOT, the evo is rich from the factory. At cruise it should run off the front O2 sensor, which should target ~14.7 to my knowledge. My fuel map is the same as the stock one in the cruise cells.

The wideband ocilates like it should (rich-lean-rich-lean), it's just centered about the wrong number (14.2 instead of 14.7). Also, every now and then it swings rich (12ish) when i'm just cruising along, no change in TPS or load etc.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 04:58 AM
Evolving Member

It appears that the narrowband swings closer to the 14.7 mark, so I'm wondering if the wideband is reading slightly richer.

The gauge is different than what is logged by the laptop too. Usually the laptop reads 1 points leaner. I spoke to a tech at Innovate and he said it may be due to a weak ground and power source so I have to re-wire it and see if it helps.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Supergoslow
Are you accounting for the fact that evos stock maps are rich from factory? I'm by no means a genius in tuning so off the top of my head I'm not sure what the stock numbers are but I do know I've done a lot of reading in the ecuflash tuning area and the stock maps are rich.

If you search you may be able to find a stock evo 8 map to compare to yours. I actually may have one on my laptop.
Maps have nothing to do with closed loop fueling. It's more part of the Narrowband o2 routine.

Originally Posted by turbotaloon95
It appears that the narrowband swings closer to the 14.7 mark, so I'm wondering if the wideband is reading slightly richer.

The gauge is different than what is logged by the laptop too. Usually the laptop reads 1 points leaner. I spoke to a tech at Innovate and he said it may be due to a weak ground and power source so I have to re-wire it and see if it helps.
Also maybe your narrowband sensor is going bad.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by domyz
Also maybe your narrowband sensor is going bad.
This is very possible, even though it's only a couple years old. The voltage oscillates, but looks a tad sluggish. I forgot what brand I got too, so I may have been some Autozone off brand stuff.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Your wideband likely needs calibrated.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/r...ycalibrate.php
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

I've actually calibrated the sensor at least 6 times since I've installed it about a month ago.

I spoke to a tech at Innovate. The LC-1 is getting power from the radio wiring harness and grounded on some metal bracket inside the car. He explained to me that this may not be a sufficient source. I will have to re-wire it to get a dedicated power source from the fuse box and a better ground. I don't know how much difference that will make, but I may as well try.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turbotaloon95
I've actually calibrated the sensor at least 6 times since I've installed it about a month ago.

I spoke to a tech at Innovate. The LC-1 is getting power from the radio wiring harness and grounded on some metal bracket inside the car. He explained to me that this may not be a sufficient source. I will have to re-wire it to get a dedicated power source from the fuse box and a better ground. I don't know how much difference that will make, but I may as well try.
Gauges are notoriously slow but the fact that it doesn't ever get to stoich or above puzzles me. I ground / power wiedband's off a cigarette lighter and don't get this kind of behavior.

Wheres the placement of your sensor?
How many miles are on it?
Any leaded gas used?
Did you buy it new?
Have you replaced it?
Old Oct 20, 2013, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

The sensor is placed in the downpipe right after the bend. Its just slightly higher angle than horizontal. Not quite that 45 degree angle though.

The kit is brand new and has acted like this since it was installed. I've calibrated it several times as per the instructions with the same results.

The lc-1 seems to read about .2 to .3 points leaner when I log in evoscan.

I'm wondering if they can just send me a replacement unit.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

Oh, and no leaded gas.