Notices
ECU Flash

BISS Screw Vacuum leak...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
BISS Screw Vacuum leak...

Hi all, Has anyone ever come across a vacuum leak within your BISS screw. Verified it with a tester. Sure enough it is sucking air in. ANy thoughts of how to fix?

Thanks in advance.

Update: 6/7/16 2:00 A.M.
Ok, new issue. Prior to what I am about to say, My BISS screw is leaking, was almost all the way out of the TB frame, but Idle was stable and when you threw the actuator, it was stable. Logs showed struggle with ISCV Steps to drop low enough to register around 15 steps. So I assumed the IAC was defective or extremely dirty.

Pulled the IAC and cleaned it today, to check and see if I need one. I cleaned it with the MAF Spray. I also put an ohm meter on it. there are six pins, I systematically went through all six pins, and tested pin to pin across them. I found 3 pins did nothing, no matter what other pins you touched, they registered no ohm. 3 pins left to right registered ohms. Outside left pin to center pin, 30 ohms, Outside left pin to outside right pin, 60 ohms, Visa versa as well, Center pin to outside left pin, registered 30 ohms, center pin to outside right pin, registered 30 ohms. I am pretty sure it is good. From what I have read online, the ohms registered seem correct. For half of the plug any ways. Plugged it in and did the ignition test on it. IAC buzzed like a vibrater and clicked a couple of times. I cleaned the seal for the IAC as well and it seemed good, so reinstalled unit to TB. Cleaned the MAF while I was at it too.

In the logs, I did not really see a change per say as to speed and stability of change for ISCV Steps. I did however drive it around, and it seemed to be working correctly. I noticed in the logs at idle after about a 20 minute drive, that it was dropping the ISCV Steps all the way down to 7. So I adjusted the Biss screw a hair to try and bring it up to 10. I then had the inclination to throw the actuator, and the car stumbled and dropped idle to 600 rpms. Left it there for a bit, and then all of a sudden it jumped back to approx 900 where it was set. Then I gave it a hair turn on the Biss, and it stumbled again down to 600 RPM. Clueless what is going on. So, I decided to count the turns out to see if it would raise, did three full turns(Biss screw completely out) no change. Turned it 3 turns the other way back to where it was. No change. 3 Turns in this time, no change. Slowly started to turn it out again to put it back to where it was set, and it slowly after a few seconds of waiting on 1 turn, kicked in again, and picked up. Turned it one more turn out, and it dropped down again. So I just turned it out 1 more time to put it back to where it was set. Finally car started to idle right again. Deactivated actuator, and Normal Idle returned. Drove for 15 minutes, then idled, and the ISCV Steps dropped down to 11 again.

What is the issue when the actuator is activated? It is random and still does the drop down in RPM. Is this an IAC issue on top of the vacuum issue?

Drove home, and all of sudden I have knock in every gear at low load. Checked logs, and it's false knock. Knock sensor is registering .197 with knock count of 10. Did I push a hose off?

Any thoughts would be great.

Update: 6/7/16 2:00 P.M.
Went out this morning and did a thorough check of all hoses on the Intake Plenum as well as TB. Everything checked out. Hesitantly I drove her around, easily. No Knock. In my town there are some decent hills I have to drive to get where I am going. These hills were the same hills that were causing knock in my previous post. Car had no issues driving today, idling today either. Everything appeared to be cleared up. Clueless as to what went on overnight while driving home. Still baffled at the BISS issue and the actuator issue. Any help would be good. Have to drive this car to Colorado in the coming weeks. Need to know if my IAC is shot or not, so I can get one ordered, with all the parts for the TB.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Raceghost; Jun 7, 2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're sure it isn't the shaft seals? Like sure - sure.

Mine leaked like a sieve.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Yah, It's the BISS screw. Put tester every where else around the TB with no sound. Over the BISS screw, it hisses.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Count your turns running it in.

Remove the BISS, and replace your O-ring.

Reinstall BISS all the way. Count your turns coming out.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Is that something I can order anywhere, or do I got to go through Mitsubishi direct?
Old Jun 5, 2016, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Got me a new one from extremepsi.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks everyone. Found a source. Looking at the full rebuild option of Biss Screw, Shaft Seals, TB Seal, and IAC Motor. TPS is still good and verified, Shafts seals have been replaced once before, but all the other bolt-on stuff for the TB are stock, and have never been changed in the 12 years. I think it's time.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Raceghost
Thanks everyone. Found a source. Looking at the full rebuild option of Biss Screw, Shaft Seals, TB Seal, and IAC Motor. TPS is still good and verified, Shafts seals have been replaced once before, but all the other bolt-on stuff for the TB are stock, and have never been changed in the 12 years. I think it's time.
Screenshot a logged reading of the TPSv and estimated position if you are going to touch it. And I'm serious about counting turns, and write it down.

Make this easy on yourself.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
What Asmodeus said ^
Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:49 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, new issue. Prior to what I am about to say, My BISS screw is leaking, was almost all the way out of the TB frame, but Idle was stable and when you threw the actuator, it was stable. Logs showed struggle with ISCV Steps to drop low enough to register around 15 steps. So I assumed the IAC was defective or extremely dirty.

Pulled the IAC and cleaned it today, to check and see if I need one. I cleaned it with the MAF Spray. I also put an ohm meter on it. there are six pins, I systematically went through all six pins, and tested pin to pin across them. I found 3 pins did nothing, no matter what other pins you touched, they registered no ohm. 3 pins left to right registered ohms. Outside left pin to center pin, 30 ohms, Outside left pin to outside right pin, 60 ohms, Visa versa as well, Center pin to outside left pin, registered 30 ohms, center pin to outside right pin, registered 30 ohms. I am pretty sure it is good. From what I have read online, the ohms registered seem correct. For half of the plug any ways. I cleaned the seal for the IAC as well and it seemed good, so reinstalled unit to TB.

In the logs, I did not really see a change per say as to speed and stability of change for ISCV Steps. I did however drive it around, and it seemed to be working correctly. I noticed in the logs at idle after about a 20 minute drive, that it was dropping the ISCV Steps all the way down to 7. So I adjusted the Biss screw a hair to try and bring it up to 10. I then had the inclination to throw the actuator, and the car stumbled and dropped idle to 600 rpms. Left it there for a bit, and then all of a sudden it jumped back to approx 900 where it was set. Then I gave it a hair turn on the Biss, and it stumbled again down to 600 RPM. Clueless what is going on. So, I decided to count the turns out to see if it would raise, did three full turns(Biss screw completely out) no change. Turned it 3 turns the other way back to where it was. No change. 3 Turns in this time, no change. Slowly started to turn it out again to put it back to where it was set, and it slowly after a few seconds of waiting on 1 turn, kicked in again, and picked up. Turned it one more turn out, and it dropped down again. So I just turned it out 1 more time to put it back to where it was set. Finally car started to idle right again. Deactivated actuator, and Normal Idle returned. Drove for 15 minutes, then idled, and the ISCV Steps dropped down to 11 again.

What is the issue when the actuator is activated? It is random and still does the drop down in RPM. Is this an IAC issue on top of the vacuum issue?

Drove home, and all of sudden I have knock in every gear at low load. Checked logs, and it's false knock. Knock sensor is registering .197 with knock count of 10. Did I push a hose off?

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Bump for your thoughts.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Updated post in first post. Please help. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Highly doubt your ISCV is bad. If you have an Omni 4 bar MAP sensor, those are known to go bad after a while. Might be worth a look.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Logs show MAP sensor is working fine. Why would that give me the erratic Idle issue with the actuator activated?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Because when it fails or starts to fail your car will do some strange things. My MAP sensor had me chasing my tail for months. Symptoms included erratic idle, knocking, car dying, not starting. No CEL at all. When the MAP sensor fails, it would put you in an incorrect area on your fuel and ignition map. Anyway It's just a suggestion.

Quick Reply: BISS Screw Vacuum leak...