Notices
ECU Flash

Speed Density 96534706 - What am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2018, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed Density 96534706 - What am I doing wrong?

I was able to get the car to idle in open loop at about 13.5 by adjusting VE in those areas. I then turned on Closed loop for idle and checked the fuel trims and they were good. Now when i try to drive the car in open loop, the car runs insanely lean...like 18.1. Where and what do i need to adjust to fix this? No matter how much VE i add in those areas the adjustments dont seem to be great enough. I have s2 Cams with FIC 900 High Z injectors (860 Scaling give me -2.8 LTFT Lo) . This leads me to believe i am either doing something wrong or need to make adjustments elsewhere. How do i fix this? I assume the KPA to load table but i am not sure what i should adjust there or how. I would really like to get this working once and for all.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
When you say it goes lean when you drive in open loop, do you mean that once you transition into open lopp it goes lean or did you totally disable closed loop again and then find it to be lean?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 05:37 AM
Evolving Member

I setup my open loop tables so the it goes into open loop after 20% throttle or 45kpa. Once it does that it goes lean. So in the kpa to load table i made the load% side higher from 40kpa on. It’s becoming much more driveable. My guess keep raising it and then use the VE table to tweak it.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Is that the correct scaling for your injectors? For example I'm running 880cc injectors with 760 scaling. If you lower your scaling values that is a quick way to richen up the entire map but then you'll have to retune everything. Just a thought for you.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

So i use the 96530706 and with 860 scaling in open loop is idles right around 14.5. I then set it up to idle in close close loop. And ltft hovers at around +\- 2. Then i i drive in open loop drives around the same.....just have to tweak some areas. I don’t really like driving it in closed loop.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

So i have adjusted the scaling to 835 as someone above suggested. Here is where i am at so far

here is the evoscan log:

Should i keep down this path? I want to understand what exactly adjusting the kpa to load does vs the VE. The table seems to make more sweeping changes....but what exactly do the numbers mean?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

does anyone know if this is the right approach?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 07:57 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
have you tried adjusting the fuel map? To tune the injectors you need LTFT Mid and Low so you need to do some closed loop cruising. The nature of closed loop should lead you to stoich in those low load/rpm areas. So I wouldn't expect doing so to be risky at all. If you see LTFT Mid or low start going crazy in one direction then you know you need to adjust your scalings.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

I only idle in closed loop. I drive in open loop and haven't touched the fuel map yet. My fuel trims at idle are fine even with the scaling adjustment. Adjusting the scaling made the car more drive-able in open loop.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Big Bald
I only idle in closed loop. I drive in open loop and haven't touched the fuel map yet. My fuel trims at idle are fine even with the scaling adjustment. Adjusting the scaling made the car more drive-able in open loop.
They can be fine at idle but totally messed up when cruising. Because its one set of calibrations that control both it has to be dialed in so that both LTFT Low and Mid are within a certain tolerance. Just to clarify also when I mention scaling im also bundling in latency compensations with that too. The scaling and latency comp settings will have an effect on the entire tune, so you want to get that dialed in first. Otherwise you end up chasing your tail going back and forth between them, having to readjust all your other maps after making an adjustment to scalings.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

So I dialed those in on the maf version of the map (lo and Mid). I am trying to convert to the SD version. Open loop cruise does not use LTFT Mid at all so in theory it doesn't matter. I'm not starting from scratch...just trying to make the switch.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 08:29 AM

So I dialed those in on the maf version of the map (lo and Mid). I am trying to convert to the SD version. Open loop cruise does not use LTFT Mid at all so in theory it doesn't matter. I'm not starting from scratch...just trying to make the switch.
OK thats good to know. If you already had that dialed in then the settings should just carry over. Your right that if LTFT always stays at 0 then it shouldn't have any effect i.e. you have disabled closed loop cruising. If your in the ballpark with fuel, I would try adjusting the fuel map a little and see if it gets you to were you want to be. Just a disclaimer though, I have never tuned SD for this platform so take that into consideration.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Im honestly not sure which tables i should touch to achieve this. I was told to plug in target values into the fuel table and use the kpa to load and VE tables to adjust to those targets. Im trying to get an idea if that's how most people really do it.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 09:37 AM

Im honestly not sure which tables i should touch to achieve this. I was told to plug in target values into the fuel table and use the kpa to load and VE tables to adjust to those targets. Im trying to get an idea if that's how most people really do it.
Yah that makes sense, You would use the Kpa table to calibrate the load the ecu calculates based on the map sensor. You could cross reference your maf tune logs to dial that in. Then as you said set your targets in the fuel map and use the 3d VE table to dial in the logged afr so that it matches your fuel map. So if you have 14.7 in the fuel map but your hitting 18 you want more fuel so you would I think raise VE in those cells. It's been a while since i read through the SD tuning guides.

I'm sure you have already read through this guy https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...s-baro-61.html but might be worth another read. Im gonna skim through it again.

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Apr 6, 2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

how do i cross referenced the maf tune. To me that how i should come up with the numbers but i have't found any post that states how to do that.

Quick Reply: Speed Density 96534706 - What am I doing wrong?