Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Top Speed tuned Evo 8 716hp on a 2.4L

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2010, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks nice! Is this a stock crank 2.4? also what fuel are you using? Have you looked into getting larger cams?

Mikey
Old Jul 28, 2010, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EmeryatSTM
Looking Good Marcus!

-Em

Thanks Em.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

e85 and te crank is 100% stock. Im about to change the cams Gsc 3 cams te tuner said the car should make 50 more hp and this was on 39 psi.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
Looks nice! Is this a stock crank 2.4? also what fuel are you using? Have you looked into getting larger cams?

Mikey
Do you have any lol.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

No, However the S3s should give you about what your tuner said. We just tested a new Cam that Greg came out with on my car. Went from HKS 272/280 to his custom 2.2-2.4L cam and I picked up 90hp Greg makes some great cams. The cams I have are currently only for IXs and only English Racing is allowed to sell them. I would give Aaron a call at ER and see when Greg will be making the EVO VIII cam like mine. I know Greg was talking about making one, I just can't remember when. I know you will have to wait a month or longer for the billets. Just tell Aaron you want an VIII cam like Mikey is running.

We are going to do a back to back test with S3s, however we are beating that these cams make the same power and don't lose any spool because of the ramp rate and the design. Plus S3s move your powerband to far to the right and on a 2.4 you can't rev to 9k.

Just giving you some ideas and things to think about.

Mikey
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debatable

MAP revs to 9k daily on their 2.4's and a 2.4LR is even safer.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DRCperformance
Debatable

MAP revs to 9k daily on their 2.4's and a 2.4LR is even safer.
Nothing is Debatable! Maybe I should have said "safely" at the end of my post...

As a famous tuner once said, "I can stick my dick in a pencil sharpener too, but who the **** would want to?"

I can rev my car to 9k too. Hell Kevin revs his 2.3 to 9300. (just a few passes and it needs a engine overhaul)

The first problem is making power at that rpm level. The 2.4 flow 20% more air than a 2.0 would at 9000. That is requiring a large cam! Kevin is running a cam with a duration that I'm not going to say because someone will call bs and a lift of 14.2mm. He is still having problems making the power up that high. Can't make our heads flow better than they are capable of.

The Second problem is oil starvation? NO ONE SHOULD BE REVVING A STOCK CRANK TO 9K! It won't last... I would be willing to put my car on the line to bet that MAPs 2.4 is already having major bearing starvation problems and if they take the motor apart they will notice that That is what we care about right? Making a motor last? Not how far we can push it? If you want good data go read through the entire stroke or not to stroke thread.

A std rod 2.4 cross the 150 ft/sec piston speeds at 8250rpm. That is the load cat 3 putting the worst amout of stress on the rotating assembely. Also if you are not aware 150 ft/sec is F1 piston speeds... Anything over 8250 really starts to put a lot more stress on the engine. Sure it can go to 9k, but the question is how many times... If you want your car to last for 20,000 miles the street rev limit should be 7800.

This is the way I treat my car. I guess we will see how long it lasts. However at the track it was seeing over 8500 becuase I was going through the traps. I need a longer 4th gear. If you ask MAP they should tell you that they don't rev to 9k on a regular basis. Just to trap because they don't have the 4.11 gears

Mikey
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

No, However the S3s should give you about what your tuner said. We just tested a new Cam that Greg came out with on my car. Went from HKS 272/280 to his custom 2.2-2.4L cam and I picked up 90hp Greg makes some great cams. The cams I have are currently only for IXs and only English Racing is allowed to sell them. I would give Aaron a call at ER and see when Greg will be making the EVO VIII cam like mine. I know Greg was talking about making one, I just can't remember when. I know you will have to wait a month or longer for the billets. Just tell Aaron you want an VIII cam like Mikey is running.

We are going to do a back to back test with S3s, however we are beating that these cams make the same power and don't lose any spool because of the ramp rate and the design. Plus S3s move your powerband to far to the right and on a 2.4 you can't rev to 9k.

Just giving you some ideas and things to think about.

Mikey
Can you get me some of those cams lol.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

I was told by MAP they take their 2.4's to 9k regularly and never have they seen bearing issues.

Food for thought
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

They also rev their 2.4l 4g64 RX7 to 9k. Its been fine for 2 years?? I believe an they drive it to and from the track everytime. Its also mking over 1000whp. The ceramic coating on the bearings is to help pervent oil starvation at 9k which is what both of their 2.4l have. I got the coating as I believe it is helping alot over 8k, now Im no going to rev to 9k, but 8.5k at the track every gear.

Nothing is Debatable! Maybe I should have said "safely" at the end of my post...

As a famous tuner once said, "I can stick my dick in a pencil sharpener too, but who the **** would want to?"

I can rev my car to 9k too. Hell Kevin revs his 2.3 to 9300. (just a few passes and it needs a engine overhaul)

The first problem is making power at that rpm level. The 2.4 flow 20% more air than a 2.0 would at 9000. That is requiring a large cam! Kevin is running a cam with a duration that I'm not going to say because someone will call bs and a lift of 14.2mm. He is still having problems making the power up that high. Can't make our heads flow better than they are capable of.

The Second problem is oil starvation? NO ONE SHOULD BE REVVING A STOCK CRANK TO 9K! It won't last... I would be willing to put my car on the line to bet that MAPs 2.4 is already having major bearing starvation problems and if they take the motor apart they will notice that That is what we care about right? Making a motor last? Not how far we can push it? If you want good data go read through the entire stroke or not to stroke thread.

A std rod 2.4 cross the 150 ft/sec piston speeds at 8250rpm. That is the load cat 3 putting the worst amout of stress on the rotating assembely. Also if you are not aware 150 ft/sec is F1 piston speeds... Anything over 8250 really starts to put a lot more stress on the engine. Sure it can go to 9k, but the question is how many times... If you want your car to last for 20,000 miles the street rev limit should be 7800.

This is the way I treat my car. I guess we will see how long it lasts. However at the track it was seeing over 8500 becuase I was going through the traps. I need a longer 4th gear. If you ask MAP they should tell you that they don't rev to 9k on a regular basis. Just to trap because they don't have the 4.11 gears

Mikey
Old Aug 4, 2010, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Great numbers! Looks like some of the fastest and most powerful evo's in GA are in Doughtery County
Old Aug 4, 2010, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Mrtalon I need a ride. I'm thinking of going with this combo....willing to help a fellow Evo owner out?
Old Aug 5, 2010, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Green Meanie
Mrtalon I need a ride. I'm thinking of going with this combo....willing to help a fellow Evo owner out?
Take a ride in a 700whp EVO and your gonna be in the same boat as me !
Old Aug 5, 2010, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

On difference is I'm going for the same power now so I don't mind feeling it. I just want to know if lag is as bad as they say it is. I watch a video of a 6262 non BB on a 2.0 (or 2.3) and the acceleration was stupid.

I think if I rode in a car with that kind of power with a turbo that I was looking at then I can make my decision easier.

I know I'm going big turbo....just not sure how big. I'm selling my tubular manifold (for stock frame turbo)......wanna buy it?
Old Aug 5, 2010, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DRCperformance
I was told by MAP they take their 2.4's to 9k regularly and never have they seen bearing issues.

Food for thought
I have personally seen logs of the MAP car going to 9400 on a stock 2.4 crank. I do not doubt for one min that they will be fine unless you do it continuously. I think the 2.4 crank will be fine when pulling forth gear out at the drag strip.

Quick Reply: Top Speed tuned Evo 8 716hp on a 2.4L