Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Tim's Evo 8 Spec-Ops 2.4LR, DBB FP Black, 93oct results.....

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:26 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tim's Evo 8 Spec-Ops 2.4LR, DBB FP Black, 93oct results.....

Tim came to us awhile ago and talked to us about doing his build. He asked if we could build him a 2.4LR and get him to his goals and we welcomed the challenge. Tim's car was our first 2.4LR we had done as we have been building our own 2.0, 2.0LR and 2.3 strokers for the past year and a half, while still offering other companies blocks/products as well. I'll be making a seperate thread in the Evo 8/9-engine/drivetrain section on our blocks and our success's as to not steer away too much on Tim's thread.

This car is fully built and Tim is the kind of guy that likes to see different combinations of parts to see how the car performs. Since we have built the car, we have swapped out the Kelford 272's for the GSC s3 cams. While it was on the Kelford 272's, it seemed to be low on power and making 470hp/414tq on the same boost levels. Now, at the time of install, we hadn't heard about the Fidanza cam gears being a tooth off. On Tim's build we are using the Evo 9 timing belt and as you know, with the cam gears you set them 3.5-4.5 degrees of retard. His were set to 3.5 which was actually 2.5 degrees. The car spooled quick as hell but the power up top never seemed to be there.

Freddie was up this weekend from FL so he could do some things to his Evo 8 (head and ER water pump install) and he brought it to our attention while installing the new cams that the Fidanza cam gears were a tooth off. So, we set his cam gears to the right settings (we went actual 4 degrees retard this time) and had great results on the new cams and the car scoots better now than before. Here is his results and mod list:

-Spec-Ops 2.4LR (acl race bearings, manley turbo tuffs, wiseco 1400hd's)
-Buschur Racing s3 head (modified for 87mm)
-Gsc s3 cams
-ETS stock location manifold (1.25" runners)
-DBB FP Black ported
-CBRD o2/downpipe vband combo
-Spec-Ops 3"-3.5" vband cat delete
-3.5" ETS vband Catback
-Magnus Intake Mani
-Ported 65mm t/b
-DW 300 w/STM rewire kit
-FIC 1100 High Z injectors (74% IDC in this VD graph)
-ETS 4"FMIC w/IC piping and Tial QR
-ETS 3" intake w/maf
-Hallman MBC@31psi
-Shep 4.11 trans and s3 tcase
-93oct and tuned by Matt

VD graph on 93oct (1*peak and 11* up top):

-

Pic of engine bay:

In closing, I recommended that we swap the Tial QR for the Synapse DV w/tial flange adaptor to hold boost better. That'll be our next test on the car and see what the difference is, if any. Thanks again Tim for choosing us for your build and we appreciate working with you!

-Matt

Last edited by Spec-OpsMotorsports; Jun 24, 2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like a killer build.

Is he ever going to switch over to speed density or stay with maf?
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:40 AM
Account Disabled

Tim and I discussed his build and we recommended he stick with the Maf (we removed the honeycomb) as he likes to Rally and AutoX. We will be taking it to the 1/4 mile as well very soon

-Matt
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spec-OpsMotorsports
Tim and I discussed his build and we recommended he stick with the Maf (we removed the honeycomb) as he likes to Rally and AutoX. We will be taking it to the 1/4 mile as well very soon

-Matt
Do the rules state that the MAF has to be there? I would think with the mods the car already has, it would put him in a class where it doesn't matter if the MAF is there or not.

Great build though, I really like seeing pump gas numbers and realistic builds.

Also, do you really think the Synapse DV will hold boost better than a TiAL?
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:03 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mayberry
Do the rules state that the MAF has to be there? I would think with the mods the car already has, it would put him in a class where it doesn't matter if the MAF is there or not.

Great build though, I really like seeing pump gas numbers and realistic builds.

Also, do you really think the Synapse DV will hold boost better than a TiAL?
Its not about the rules persay, its more my preferance/recommendation as the tuner that he use the MAF for his particular use of the car.

As far as the Tial QR, I don't like them as well as the Tial Q's on a SD car. For the recirc/maf setups, we have had better success/results on the Synapse DV's. I do believe the synapse would work better.

Thanks for the props! Tim will be satisfied with the new found power/tq with the new s3 cams. It really woke up that 2.4l for sure.

-Matt
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
is that Negative 11 degrees up top?
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ZanarkO
No, that just wouldn't make any sense at all

Looks like a fun car to drive. Great job guys
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:25 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ZanarkO
I edited the wording just for you.

Originally Posted by evo8426
No, that just wouldn't make any sense at all

Looks like a fun car to drive. Great job guys

Thanks brother!

-Matt
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Its not about the rules persay, its more my preferance/recommendation as the tuner that he use the MAF for his particular use of the car.

As far as the Tial QR, I don't like them as well as the Tial Q's on a SD car. For the recirc/maf setups, we have had better success/results on the Synapse DV's. I do believe the synapse would work better.

Thanks for the props! Tim will be satisfied with the new found power/tq with the new s3 cams. It really woke up that 2.4l for sure.

-Matt
No problem. Thanks for the quick response. I like to see what works for street cars. People get caught up too much on what works for 700+whp cars that see more track miles than street miles. That they don't realize there's other parts that make a high(er) HP car more street friendly.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just curious, what class does he autox in?
Old Jun 24, 2012, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Big thanks to Matt and the crew at Spec Ops Motorsports. Been a windy road getting the car where it is now, and I appreciate everything along the way.

I think when the dyno gets in, I just may have to get a tune from you on E85, just to see what it actually does.

-Tim
Old Jun 24, 2012, 02:07 PM
Account Disabled

Car is a beast guys! Also I look forward to seeing Tim's new track wheel set up... He hot some 295 hoosiers on RPF-1s and we hooked him up with a set of R/TErnie's custom rear trailing links as well!

**Tim we need to wait to get the trailing links in so we can install them and fit the wheels and drop the car to see if you are going to have to invest in coilovers... those wide tires may or may not hit the rear spring/perch**
Old Jun 24, 2012, 02:13 PM
Account Disabled

Now, at the time of install, we hadn't heard about the Fidanza cam gears being ONE HALF off PER GEAR. On Tim's build we are using the Evo 9 timing belt and as you know, with the cam gears you set them 3.5-4.5 degrees of retard. His were set to 3.5 which was actually 2.5 degrees. The car spooled quick as hell but the power up top never seemed to be there.

Freddie was up this weekend from FL so he could do some things to his Evo 8 (head and ER water pump install) and he brought it to our attention while installing the new cams that the Fidanza cam gears were a ONE HALF TOOTH off PER GEAR. So, we set his cam gears to the right settings (we went actual 4 degrees retard this time) and had great results on the new cams and the car scoots better now than before.
Matt, changed wording in RED slightly to be more clear as to what was done to the gears...

Last edited by Spec-Ops1; Jul 31, 2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Freddie@Spec-Ops

**Tim we need to wait to get the trailing links in so we can install them and fit the wheels and drop the car to see if you are going to have to invest in coilovers... those wide tires may or may not hit the rear spring/perch**
I'll bring my sledge hammer when I stop by on Tues
Old Jun 24, 2012, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by AreSTG
Big thanks to Matt and the crew at Spec Ops Motorsports. Been a windy road getting the car where it is now, and I appreciate everything along the way.

I think when the dyno gets in, I just may have to get a tune from you on E85, just to see what it actually does.

-Tim
Hey bub...saw your car a few times up there when mine was getting built. Let us know when you tune to E85....I'll get mine down there too as I want to tune to E85 also.

Matt...what's yalls status on the dyno?

Bern

Quick Reply: Tim's Evo 8 Spec-Ops 2.4LR, DBB FP Black, 93oct results.....