Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Chris's Evo 8 /w Built 2.0L 71HTA S2 93 & E70

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 09:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Chris's Evo 8 /w Built 2.0L 71HTA S2 93 & E70

Chris brought his car to us from Ohio for some maintenance and tune. After the car sitting for 5 years I had the honor to fire it up for the first time after a fresh rebuild.

We performed the following before tuning:

Broke the engine in for the customer since it was 0 miles and towed to the shop. 3x oil changes, cutting the filter open each change to verify engine health, etc.

We also fixed a waterpump leak and changed the timing belt out for an evo ix kevlar belt.

Finally tuned the car on both 93 and E70~. There may be more power in the car yet (im almost positive there is on e70+, but we wont extract it until he gets the car sorted out once he has it back to his location.

The turbine housing was missing a bolt, which I want replaced before we push the car further.

Mods are:

Built 2.0L 9:1
FP 71HTA /w 18psi wga?
GSC S2 cams
Tial Q Bov
FIC 1120cc inj
Walbro 450
Tephra v7 speed density /w ecuboost

Will update once we tune it for more power on e85. My goal is 500whp on E85 for this car after customer addresses a few things.

Graph & car below:

Old May 29, 2017, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
I wanna see a 30psi pull My stock block/cam IX did 450/400 on E85 with the 71hta at 30psi. I can only imagine what a built block and S2's will do. Nice work Looking forward to more results
Old May 29, 2017, 10:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by e_kobz
I wanna see a 30psi pull My stock block/cam IX did 450/400 on E85 with the 71hta at 30psi. I can only imagine what a built block and S2's will do. Nice work Looking forward to more results
I had it around 30-32psi a few times with more timing in it and it felt wicked, but after seeing things I didn't like I backed it off just to be safe.

There is a ton more power in it for sure! I had it to 494whp (ish). If you want me to dig some of the higher power graphs I can. I just felt like they were not relevant since its not what the car left with as-is.

I'll let the customer address the list I gave him then we can go for more power and ill just update this thread.

Thank you!
Old May 29, 2017, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
I had it around 30-32psi a few times with more timing in it and it felt wicked, but after seeing things I didn't like I backed it off just to be safe.

There is a ton more power in it for sure! I had it to 494whp (ish). If you want me to dig some of the higher power graphs I can. I just felt like they were not relevant since its not what the car left with as-is.

I'll let the customer address the list I gave him then we can go for more power and ill just update this thread.

Thank you!
Wow that's awesome. I love seeing 71hta setups. Amazing what a compressor wheel can do.
Old May 30, 2017, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
but after seeing things I didn't like I backed it off just to be safe.
What do you mean? Did you see erratic airflow readings from the missing bolt? Was the boost dropping off too quickly? Were you making sure you dont over spin the turbo? Trying to have a better understanding about how a missing bolt in that area would not be safe from a hardware standpoint.

Great turbo tho!
Old May 31, 2017, 03:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lancerrally45
What do you mean? Did you see erratic airflow readings from the missing bolt? Was the boost dropping off too quickly? Were you making sure you dont over spin the turbo? Trying to have a better understanding about how a missing bolt in that area would not be safe from a hardware standpoint.

Great turbo tho!
knocked with higher boost and replacing the knock sensor and properly torquing it did nothing in return.

Instead of taking the front bumper off, removing the strut bar, and addressing other ends and odds first, I let the customer know and for secure measures we are sending the injectors to get flow tested / cleaned and i will retune it and finish it remote for him free of charge.

I'm pretty confident the injectors are ok, its just the front mount vibrating the bumper meshing support, but i wanted the customer to fix the bolt before the gasket blows out from uneven preload on the gasket and then he can remove his bumper / strut bar, and we can fill with his local E85 station and finish it safely.

We fixed things the customer wasn't comfortable fixing, in attempt to save him $ I recommended he take car back and i gave him a list of things to fix and then we will finalize the e85 portion of the tune with complete confidence remotely.

Something I've learned from tuning a lot of cars. If you have any doubt on something or think something could be an issue to stop and get it looked at. Any little thing can cause a major failure and it never hurts to be extra safe.

Customer was extremely happy and agreed he will address these things and we will finalize the e85 tune later on.

Every situation is different, some customers would of had us do everything before he got the car back, but this guy likes to wrench on his own cars.

Customer:

I can't thank you enough for the time you put In my car and the hard work you done you have earned my business and I'll recommend you to all of my friends I didn't feel rushed when I brought my car to you unlike some other shop I took my car to previously
Old May 31, 2017, 05:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had my eye on the 71HTA, dope results.
Old May 31, 2017, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Great! Cant wait to see what you can do with this turbo at higher boost.

I ran into something similar, my dp was hitting my tcase. I chased the knock around for a good 3 months.
Old May 31, 2017, 12:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
man i love seeing threads about the 71hta. I plan keep mine for a long time
Old May 31, 2017, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by lancerrally45
Great! Cant wait to see what you can do with this turbo at higher boost.

I ran into something similar, my dp was hitting my tcase. I chased the knock around for a good 3 months.
Sorry about going off topic but would you be able to pm me ? I would like to hear about the knock you were getting as I'm having the same problems , my dp is literally up against my tcase and I'm sure that's my issue too. I was getting random knock on some pulls and now it's a lot more frequent.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 07:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII
Sorry about going off topic but would you be able to pm me ? I would like to hear about the knock you were getting as I'm having the same problems , my dp is literally up against my tcase and I'm sure that's my issue too. I was getting random knock on some pulls and now it's a lot more frequent.
many cars have bad downpipe fitment. Mainly on the IX though. Definitely get it resolved because when it touches the tcase it sends vibrations to the engine block which register as knock.

same goes for ic piping and anything else that can send vibration to the block.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

many cars have bad downpipe fitment. Mainly on the IX though. Definitely get it resolved because when it touches the tcase it sends vibrations to the engine block which register as knock.

same goes for ic piping and anything else that can send vibration to the block.
Yeah I saw he had an 8. I never ran into any problems when I owned my 8. Ive sent him a PM so we dont clog up your thread to dig into what kind of setup he is running, etc.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Was there any more in it on 93? Looks like there could be
Old Jul 8, 2017, 10:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by cerevo
Was there any more in it on 93? Looks like there could be
We will find out soon but id say yes.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 11:51 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Am i reading right that it reached 20psi around 3500ishRPM?

Last edited by kaj; Jul 9, 2017 at 08:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Chris's Evo 8 /w Built 2.0L 71HTA S2 93 & E70