EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Dyno Tuning / Results (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-dyno-tuning-results-299/)
-   -   HTA86 + typical bolt ons and e85 (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-dyno-tuning-results/535856-hta86-typical-bolt-ons-e85.html)

tscompusa2 Jan 23, 2011 04:27 PM

HTA86 + typical bolt ons and e85

I wasn't going to post this until the before and after mod comparisons were done, but the car ran into an issue with the turbo. I will post a video of what the turbos doing so you guys can help figure out whats wrong with it.

Fuel & Boost: E85 @ 37psi by 4500-4600rpm tapper to 34ish by 8500.

2005 EVO 8 (Non ported head)
Built 2L by KevinD (Evolution Dynamics)
AMS Turbo Kit converted to FP HTA86 (with .63 a/r)
Magnus v5
Boomba TB
Trust Ti TBE
Buschur Racing Double Pumper
Buschur Racing intake
Buschur Racing deluxe FMIC 3.5" (to be swapped for ETS 4")
Forge BOV
Kelford 272 (to be swapped for the New STM 272)
Sparktech non CDI
FIC 2150cc
Exedy triple plate
eBay mbc (to be swapped for hallman mbc)

So the car was previously tuned by another etuner and the guy was not happy with it and felt he was left in the dark afterwards so i picked up where it was left off at.

Pretty much I found the previous tune over max timing everywhere on the map. Where it wasn't over max timing, it didn't have enough, and etc :lol: Decided to just start from scratch and increase timing myself to assure the vehicle was safe after seeing the maps previously on the car. So after around 15-20 pulls or so and doing misc rom adjustments like unlocking ecu load limit, rescaling RPM/Load etc, we finished with decent numbers (I think)

The car is being held back by the kelford 272 cams and the old style BR deluxe FMIC, and of course the ebay mbc. He already has a ETS 4" fmic, hallman pro, and STM cams to install on the car.

I wasn't going to post this up now, but it seems his turbo needs rebuilt so there is no point in holding off since its gonna take weeks to rebuild the turbo again.

so here is the before and after with maybe 2psi difference and same weather condition (pulls were back to back within an hour or so. temp was 10f difference)

http://oi56.tinypic.com/nodfu0.jpg

and here are misc other logs of the car with more smoothing.

http://oi53.tinypic.com/xkta9y.jpg

http://oi56.tinypic.com/v3g12f.jpg

And heres the video of what the turbos doing when being spun now;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11fgmVDmRAA

anyone that knows what that sound might be please let me know so i can tell the owner of the car. i personally have zero experience with ball bearing turbos.

we were working on a 41psi tune and then he felt something slipping in 1st and 2nd only.. he thought it was his clutch.. and we both felt that was odd, because clutches dont slip in 1,2 and not 3rd. The slipping was only occuring in 1st and 2nd and not 3rd and 4th..

The logs from the 41psi pulls were spooling pretty quick.

http://oi55.tinypic.com/2v2ccah.jpg

So once turbo is fixed we will try for over 700WHP and have direct comparisons same day with FMIC swap and Cam swap. Each swap will be tested seperately so the cams will be tested seperately and the fmic etc.. Im very interested to see what the STM cams do........ i suspect they will do the same as BF cams.

Sorry for the long write up, I hope people actually read it. {thumbup}

mxguy1286 Jan 23, 2011 05:41 PM

Sounds like there is trash in the ball bearings or a ball bearing going bad. Just my thoughts though

evoforlife Jan 23, 2011 05:55 PM

Def needs a rebuild that turbo should spin a lot longer and it just came to a sudden hault

Pizzamangtr Jan 23, 2011 07:03 PM

Nice power and congrats Tom and the oldhead who owns the car! I say old head cause once we have kids that is what we are now! Says my 8 year old niece! Lol!

Pizzamangtr Jan 23, 2011 07:04 PM

Send it back! How old is the turbo?

achilles3000 Jan 23, 2011 07:53 PM

Bearing failure.Also tell him to get the right hotside for the turbo.TOm can you post a longer log wanna see it.

R/TErnie Jan 23, 2011 09:35 PM

work on the AFR on spool up some more.... you have some weird dips in it.

Also log vehicle speed versus engine speed... you'll be able to spot clutch slip in a heart beat.

MiTech Jan 24, 2011 12:25 AM

Tscomp did it again good job bro

Mike {thumbup}

Creamo3 Jan 24, 2011 06:52 AM

That turbo is spooling really quick for a 2.0L; I'm attributing that to the .63 Ford 5-Bolt housing. I'm also betting that's killing some of the power up top too. Interested to see what sort of gains are had w/ cam & FMIC swap. Keep us posted {thumbup}

SmurfZilla Jan 24, 2011 08:02 AM

Thats a horrible sound.....sounds like the BB is shot. Rebuild time.

05blue8 Jan 24, 2011 08:32 AM

Thanks guys, it's my car. Yeah, it's the bearings. I'm sending it to FP this afternoon to have them examine it. They said heat or oil contamination caused it, will only know once they inspect the bearings. It's about 8 months old as far as the upgrade. The original GT35R only had 3k miles on it, all babied, before it was sold off as the initial tune was being done on it. I knew the original owner personally. FP will tell me what happened but as for now I'm pulling it apart.

There is an issue with the right hotside. The downpipe AMS sells to bolt to their o2 housing kit is a 3 bolt and unique to their kit so not only does it need a hotside, it needs a new o2 sensor housing and a new downpipe. I like the speed of the spool but I know it's killing the top end some. I also know what FP said...it's stupid to run something that small so...yes...I may be upgrading very soon when I put the STM650's in it depending on what this rebuild costs. Damn car, ugh.

tscompusa2 Jan 24, 2011 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by R/TErnie (Post 9014495)
work on the AFR on spool up some more.... you have some weird dips in it.

Also log vehicle speed versus engine speed... you'll be able to spot clutch slip in a heart beat.

The dips are showing up because this virtual dyno only scales to the max of what your logs show and way bigger / less area to drawl the line so its over exaggerating the dips. they wouldn't even be visible on a real dynojet style graphing.

They can be better tho, and will make them better once everythings finalized.

The only weird dip on the log i seen when tuning the car was inbetween 5-6k but i got rid of it.

http://oi53.tinypic.com/2d1p72v.jpg

its still slightly there but i will fully remove it once we can continue the tuning again.

have you ever had a clutch slip in 1st and 2nd and not 3rd and 4th? the only time i can remember having that issue was when i smelled clutch burn in a old dsm because the clutch master cylinder was not adjusted right and burning up the clutch.

tscompusa2 Jan 24, 2011 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by achilles3000 (Post 9014224)
Bearing failure.Also tell him to get the right hotside for the turbo.TOm can you post a longer log wanna see it.

Which one do you wanna see? the rest of the 40-41 spike one i posted a snippet of?

tscompusa2 Jan 24, 2011 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by MiTech (Post 9014702)
Tscomp did it again good job bro

Mike {thumbup}

Thanks mike {thumbup}

Originally Posted by pizzamanevo8 (Post 9014097)
Nice power and congrats Tom and the oldhead who owns the car! I say old head cause once we have kids that is what we are now! Says my 8 year old niece! Lol!

Thanks Wil {thumbup}

Originally Posted by Creamo3 (Post 9015045)
That turbo is spooling really quick for a 2.0L; I'm attributing that to the .63 Ford 5-Bolt housing. I'm also betting that's killing some of the power up top too. Interested to see what sort of gains are had w/ cam & FMIC swap. Keep us posted {thumbup}

Ya, I dont think it'll spool any quicker then it did in that log snippet but ill try anyways. :lol: Thats quicker then a FP black on a 2.0L. most guys cant build 40psi on a stroker even until 4200-4300rpm on a FP black. So what is this turbo? a hybrid fp black ball bearing wannabe with more airflow? :lol:

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla (Post 9015246)
Thats a horrible sound.....sounds like the BB is shot. Rebuild time.

I think he forgot to feed the hamster inside there and he died....

Originally Posted by 05blue8 (Post 9015347)
Thanks guys, it's my car. Yeah, it's the bearings. I'm sending it to FP this afternoon to have them examine it. They said heat or oil contamination caused it, will only know once they inspect the bearings. It's about 8 months old as far as the upgrade. The original GT35R only had 3k miles on it, all babied, before it was sold off as the initial tune was being done on it. I knew the original owner personally. FP will tell me what happened but as for now I'm pulling it apart.

There is an issue with the right hotside. The downpipe AMS sells to bolt to their o2 housing kit is a 3 bolt and unique to their kit so not only does it need a hotside, it needs a new o2 sensor housing and a new downpipe. I like the speed of the spool but I know it's killing the top end some. I also know what FP said...it's stupid to run something that small so...yes...I may be upgrading very soon when I put the STM650's in it depending on what this rebuild costs. Damn car, ugh.

Your cars been fun to tune so far. hope we can make well over 700. ;)

SmurfZilla Jan 24, 2011 02:51 PM

In for the cause. One of the turbo's I'm considering.