EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Dyno Tuning / Results (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-dyno-tuning-results-299/)
-   -   GTX3576r - 30psi - 93oct - me tuned - stock block - 460hp/375tq (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-dyno-tuning-results/622181-gtx3576r-30psi-93oct-me-tuned-stock-block-460hp-375tq.html)

240Z TwinTurbo Jul 28, 2012 12:37 PM

GTX3576r - 30psi - 93oct - me tuned - stock block - 460hp/375tq

I converted to SD with the Haltech Platinum Pro and decided to get a baseline tune. Car is running ~30psi on 93 octane with timing at 0deg(4250rpm) ramped to 8deg(8000rpm). AFR was 11:1 across the board and the outside temperature was ~92deg. Dyno runs are done in 3rd gear with 30psi at ~4200rpm.

SETUP
2006 EVO IX
Stock 2.0L Block (72K miles)
Curt Brown Head
Haltech Platinum Pro PnP (me tuned with Curt maps)
MAP H11 head studs
GSC S2 cams with GSC springs
Curt Brown Extreme Port intake
Full Blown 70mm TB
Custom short runner twin scroll header
Dual Tial 38mm MVS wastegates
GTX3576R with T4 1.06a/r TS
custom 3" exhaust with no CAT
24"x12"x3.5" Garrett Core with custom tanks by MPFAB
COP
ACT 6 puck

Details of my build can be found here:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...xperiment.html

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...f8e80495e7.jpg

mxguy1286 Jul 28, 2012 02:44 PM

that thing needs timing bad, turn the boost down some and put some timing in and I bet you will still make more power and torque

240Z TwinTurbo Jul 28, 2012 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by mxguy1286 (Post 10308059)
that thing needs timing bad, turn the boost down some and put some timing in and I bet you will still make more power and torque

Thank you for the feedback and that is definitely something I need to explore. I am still trying to understand the knock controls/filters on Haltech so I was using the same conservative timing used with the stock ECU. Because the Profec holds boost constant to redline it won't take more timing on the topend with 93 octane. I will likely have to purchase a 3-port and have the Haltech taper boost.

BTW, if I was able to taper to 25psi what kind of timing should I expect to run?

BillSpec Jul 28, 2012 04:59 PM

Why would you want boost to taper. Most people try to fight that. If you are holding boost consistantly, then leave the boost settings alone. Its spooling very well.

8* on 91 seems right if you are on stock intake manifold. The porting might allow for a bit more, but not too much. As long as the timing is synched with a light and its really 8 degrees.

What I would do is turn it down and establish a pressure a bit above WG spring and advance until you stop picking up fair amounts of power, then work on your map smoothness and calibrate your knock table. Once that is achieved, run a more "consistant & reliable fuel" with a higher boost pressure.

Bill

94AWDcoupe Jul 28, 2012 11:23 PM

Haltech Platinum Pro
why did you decide to go standalone? do you like it?

240Z TwinTurbo Jul 29, 2012 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe (Post 10308656)
Haltech Platinum Pro
why did you decide to go standalone? do you like it?

SD will ultimately allow for more power due to restrictions created by the MAF. I had an Electromotive Tech II on my 240z back in 1997 when I got into turbocharging and tuned for many years so I also had an itch to start tuning again. I also think the Haltech will ultimately give me more freedom over the motor vs the stock ECU.

With any system you have to get used to the features and how they are presented. The Haltech is more advanced than the Tech II, but the principles are the same. I like the Haltech unit and was able to create a decent tune in about 1 week spending only a few hours per day. I still have a few quirks to reconcile, but it is coming along and Haltech has provided good support.

juniormarabelx Jul 29, 2012 02:02 AM

niceee!!

VTEC Killer Jul 29, 2012 05:08 AM

Nice work. Good ole' Tech 2, I ran one of those on my EVO motor swapped Galant back in 04' it seems so obsolete now with all the new technology, I switched over to AEM EMS in 06'. Those are respectable numbers for pump gas, throw some C16 in there with the same boost and a little more timing and you'll be in the 540ish range. I totally support leaving the timing lower than most on pump and race fuel to reduce cylinder pressure. It makes the head gasket happy.

HsamehH Jul 29, 2012 11:06 AM

Never thought the GTX35 would peak that fast on 2.0L,maybe your manifold design,i guess it will gain more power @ 30 psi with your setup from the other tubular manifolds design but this this spool pretty fast.

HIS Motorsports Jul 29, 2012 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by VTEC Killer (Post 10308810)
Nice work. Good ole' Tech 2, I ran one of those on my EVO motor swapped Galant back in 04' it seems so obsolete now with all the new technology, I switched over to AEM EMS in 06'. Those are respectable numbers for pump gas, throw some C16 in there with the same boost and a little more timing and you'll be in the 540ish range. I totally support leaving the timing lower than most on pump and race fuel to reduce cylinder pressure. It makes the head gasket happy.

I def. agree! If you run more timing that means there is more of a chance for detonation and we all know that is no good for the stock bottom end! I usually let the boost make the power with little timing that way the motor will hold on longer!

Congrats James!

Kasey

Turbotalon1g Jul 29, 2012 11:30 AM

That things spools up insane, never thought I'd see a 35r come on that quick on a 2.0L.

You gonna do a E85/race gas tune?

Drifto Jul 29, 2012 12:00 PM

Not taking anything away from this thread, but the turbo he's using is not a full on GTX35R. It's a GTX3076 compressor wheel with a GT35R turbine wheel. It spools very fast for sure, but you guys need to consider how much the head porting does for spool. My CNC'd head gained roughly 500rpm in spool up. The fact that Kurt Brown did the headwork for Jim would lead me to believe he's experiencing similar gains in spool as well.

240Z TwinTurbo Jul 29, 2012 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Drifto (Post 10309333)
It spools very fast for sure, but you guys need to consider how much the head porting does for spool. My CNC'd head gained roughly 500rpm in spool up. The fact that Kurt Brown did the headwork for Jim would lead me to believe he's experiencing similar gains in spool as well.

Indeed....
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/9875310-post138.html

03whitegsr Jul 31, 2012 08:10 AM

Man, that is some impressive response from a GT35 based turbo.

However, torque is WAY down for that boost level. I was making that kind of torque on an IX turbo at 23 psi and on 91 octane. I'd start with boost a lot lower and get the motor running at MBT. The car will feel a lot better overall during normal driving. I was able to reach MBT on 91 octane up to about 20 PSI peak, you should have no trouble doing the same with your setup.

Above the point where the fuel will no longer support MBT, if you go a couple PSI at a time, you can see where the break even point is where adding boost does nothing but make life harder on the motor.

BillSpec Jul 31, 2012 08:44 AM

Smoothing on 5 and it wavy like that might mean u need to take a second look at something..