Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Head unit opinions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2006, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head unit opinions

I'm thinking about upgrading my head unit. I'm debating between a few. Just curious as to what other people've done. I want something with a 6.5-7 inch monitor and Nav. capable. I was looking at Alpine IVA-D100, Alpine IVA-W200, Alpine IVA-D310.
Main requirements are:
6.5-7 inch monitor
iPod compatible
Nav ccompatible
DVD compatible would be nice
Satalite ready (Pref. Sirius)
MP3/WMA ready

Any input would be great. If you have pics that would be helpful as well.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

I have the apline IVA-D900 I love it and I also have an alpine navigation (NVE-N852A) it has everything you want 6.5 screen Ipod outlet, dvd, XM

Last edited by kreionic; Jul 1, 2006 at 11:47 AM.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

here is a pic sorry not that great. The brains of the head unit is under the drivers seat and the brains for the nav is under the passengers seat
Attached Thumbnails Head unit opinions-p4130075-medium-.jpg  
Old Jul 2, 2006, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they have that new double din radio bezel on here (evom) somewhere that also relocates the hvac controls to the pocket below the radio. so if you did that, you could go with the pioneer d1 or the kenwood excelon double din. those would meet all your requirements without the need for a flip out screen
Old Jul 2, 2006, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvilBlueEvo8
they have that new double din radio bezel on here (evom) somewhere that also relocates the hvac controls to the pocket below the radio. so if you did that, you could go with the pioneer d1 or the kenwood excelon double din. those would meet all your requirements without the need for a flip out screen
Yes but take it from me, he does not want the pioneer d1 or d2 if ipod control is a priority because those two units suck donkey b@lls whne it comes to controlling the ipod. I installed a few and ended up getting a refund for mine before I received it. I would suggest one of the kenwood, eclipse, or alpine units. Alpines thru my experience seem to have the most advanced ipod controls and with a nav add on thats about $1500 , I'm assuming they have the most advanced navigation out there. Me personally, I'm going with one of the Kenwood units with nav add on and ipod controller. Just remember that the new 7" double din unit will not sound as good as the other units they sell.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 06:14 PM

buy my apline 9833 :-p it has ipod capability ..plays mp3..
Old Jul 2, 2006, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wickedpapercut
buy my apline 9833 :-p it has ipod capability ..plays mp3..
That's like a 2 year old deck, without nav or a screen. Please stick to the topic.

As far as what i have seen, i agree with alpine on having the best ipod control. However, i am somewhat dissappointed with their new units, excluding a few. Eclipse has my vote for this springs models, but not the fanciest Ipod control, but does the job well and sounds great.

About the DD kit for our cars, the Z1 is incredible from pioneer. Blue tooth and voice commands are the biggest things to list. The D1 beware does not have a DVD player, but the z1 does.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 02:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Traitor
I'm thinking about upgrading my head unit. I'm debating between a few. Just curious as to what other people've done. I want something with a 6.5-7 inch monitor and Nav. capable. I was looking at Alpine IVA-D100, Alpine IVA-W200, Alpine IVA-D310.
Main requirements are:
6.5-7 inch monitor
iPod compatible
Nav ccompatible
DVD compatible would be nice
Satalite ready (Pref. Sirius)
MP3/WMA ready

Any input would be great. If you have pics that would be helpful as well.
I just installed the IVA-D310 today with sirius and navigation and I love it so far. I am having some weird issues with the nav calibration but I'm sure i'll hammer that out once I have a chance to look at all of the manuals etc. The install was a bear along with the nav unit but it' an awesome setup once it's done. Bypassing the video safety thing was a breeze and everything head unit-wise works awesome. I highly recommend it.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

I have the Jensen 9510. now I know what you're thinking. But for $500 you get CD/MP3/DVD playback all in 1 single din unit with a electronic flip out screen that 1.15 megapixel! I have had my unit hooked up to my SSL setup and it sounds awesome. I don't want to spend too much in car audio and the stock speakers aren't that bad, so now I can play MP3's at least and watch DVD's (not while driving) and it cost me a fraction of the higher end units with a good resolution monitor.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

I have the new Clarion 7" fold out with the ipod hook up. It is very nice. I ipod feature is touch screen. I went with this and the Dolby 5.1 interface....awesome.

Chris
Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

u might want to check this H/U out also:
Carrozzeria AVH-P90DVA

pioneer.jp/carrozzeria/product/avh_p90dva/index.html
Old Jul 6, 2006, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jdm radio
Old Jul 7, 2006, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by stingerbtry
I just installed the IVA-D310 today with sirius and navigation and I love it so far. I am having some weird issues with the nav calibration but I'm sure i'll hammer that out once I have a chance to look at all of the manuals etc. The install was a bear along with the nav unit but it' an awesome setup once it's done. Bypassing the video safety thing was a breeze and everything head unit-wise works awesome. I highly recommend it.
What made you chose D310 as opposed to D100? They're very similar but D100 is a little cheaper and more recent? Just curious. I would be doing install with my dad to bypass the video safety thing. I'll be installing everything myself (Unless friend wants to do it at Best buy where he works) and speakers.

Speakers are going to be a challenge I think though. Anyone know how to get the tweeters out of the A pillars? Do you just 'pop' off the A pillar and can get access to it that way?
Old Jul 7, 2006, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

yes, they pop off and then you unscrew the tweeter housing. Start from the top and work your way down, the bottom of the pillar slips into a housing at the dash.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Traitor
What made you chose D310 as opposed to D100? They're very similar but D100 is a little cheaper and more recent? Just curious. I would be doing install with my dad to bypass the video safety thing. I'll be installing everything myself (Unless friend wants to do it at Best buy where he works) and speakers.

Speakers are going to be a challenge I think though. Anyone know how to get the tweeters out of the A pillars? Do you just 'pop' off the A pillar and can get access to it that way?
The main reason I picked the 310 was that they don't list the d100 as compatible with their new nav unit (NVE-N872A) which I also installed. Here is what their site says:

"Combine this unit with any of the following Alpine products, allowing you to build your own, perfect system: IVA-D310, IVA-D901, CVA-1014, TME-M770, TME-M710, VPA-B211A."

Quick Reply: Head unit opinions