Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

amp with speakers??? HELP!! SOS...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amp with speakers??? HELP!! SOS...

i was hoping you could help me out, i dont know **** bout car audio and i was wondering if i should get an amp for my speakers. i only have 4 speakers, and they r alpine. they sound fuzzy and not as clear as they should be. sho i was wondering if an anp would cure that problem. i was lokin at rockford fostage amps. i really am not sure what an amp exactly does, and was wondering if it would make the speakers sound better. i thot an amp was just for like subs, but im not sure at all. thanks, please help me out.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Were these alpine's professionally installed? Wires could be crossed + and - . If you cut the wires were they covered well(butt connector, electrical tape)? could be touching bare metal and getting distortion. Is your bass turned to damn high for the little guys? You could have blown them. What headunit do you have? They could be underpowered. Man i could go for days! Have someone that knows look at it. Amps will make mids and highs speakers come to life but are not needed if you have a good headunit. If you do go with an amp just get a small 4 channel.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

Basically what he said above. Try to give us a little more detail , and have someone who actually knows car stereo take a look at it. With what you gave us, it could be any number of problems. If you're running them on the stock deck with the bass cranked up, then yes they will sound distorted. Also, which model alpine speakers are they?
Old Dec 22, 2006, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

I'm guessing since you said you know nothing about car stereo that you didn't install them. If you paid for them to be installed and they sound like crap, take it back to be fixed (if you can that is). If not, it couldn't hurt to install an amp...
Old Dec 22, 2006, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

the short answer is yes. your headunit is not putting out very much power to the speakers regardless of how good it is... even a crapy amp will put out 10x the power of the best headunit. when you turn your speakers up loud without a lot of power they will distort and sound like crap....

this is a very dumbed down version, but it gets the point across.