Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

alarm wont sound. :(

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2007, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alarm wont sound. :(

when i lock my car the beep that i usually hear... well i dont hear it nomore.

it locks and the security light comes on and all but no beep.

i opened the door with my keys when it was armed but all i can hear is this weak *** sound coming from the alarm.
(can barely hear it if i have the hood up and put my ears to the alarm.)

do i have to get me another alarm system? or can i get by with another alarm(speaker)?

sometimes it would work but sometimes it wont.

its not the wires that are loose i think i checked all the wires and it loked fine.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 06:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
honestly, other than the honking when locking... That "alarm" is beyond useless.....
Old Jul 9, 2007, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Care to share the brand of alarm. How old is it? Did you check the siren ground wire? How about the alarm ground?
Old Jul 9, 2007, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

I think he's referring to the stock honk that it makes when you lock/unlock the door.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOLex
I think he's referring to the stock honk that it makes when you lock/unlock the door.
No, He's referring to an aftermarket alarm system. The car does not come with a factory alarm. He also mentions the security light (assuming LED). The car doesnt come with one of those either.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well...I had an after market alarm and if I pressed two of the 3 buttons on my remote entry...it would silent the alarm...it would still sound if hit or someone attempted to break in....but the horn didn't sound.....so check your manual and see if you have a silent feature or something similar that might be cutting off the horn chirp....
Old Jul 9, 2007, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SilverShadow03
Well...I had an after market alarm and if I pressed two of the 3 buttons on my remote entry...it would silent the alarm...it would still sound if hit or someone attempted to break in....but the horn didn't sound.....so check your manual and see if you have a silent feature or something similar that might be cutting off the horn chirp....
Chances are, you are correct about his alarm having that feature. And it is what I thought about first. But he says that when he sets off his alarm, the siren makes noise but it does so very very very silently. I have seen this before as being a bad system or siren ground or a burned out siren. If he does silent arm as you described, the alarm would sound at its normal volume when triggered. If it is placed in valet mode, the LED lights solid and the system wont sound at all because it wont trigger.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NoTec
No, He's referring to an aftermarket alarm system. The car does not come with a factory alarm. He also mentions the security light (assuming LED). The car doesnt come with one of those either.
Your right, I reread the thread .
Old Jul 9, 2007, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

change the siren.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

I would check the wiring...make sure you a good ground and no frayed wires that might be creating a short.

Other than that...I would take it to a stereo shop and ask them...they have probably encountered this before..and can give you a quick response....or even fix it if thats an option.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NoTec
Chances are, you are correct about his alarm having that feature. And it is what I thought about first. But he says that when he sets off his alarm, the siren makes noise but it does so very very very silently. I have seen this before as being a bad system or siren ground or a burned out siren. If he does silent arm as you described, the alarm would sound at its normal volume when triggered. If it is placed in valet mode, the LED lights solid and the system wont sound at all because it wont trigger.
Perfectly said, flawless post. Doesn't sound like it's in valet. Bad ground more than likely.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

^thats what I said.....
Old Jul 10, 2007, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Get yourself a multi-meter (or test light) and disconnect the 2 leads to the horn/siren. Connect the meter/light to those two leads, it really doesnt matter which lead to where (only dif is it will read negative voltage but its still an indication. (set the meter to vdc range like 0-100 volts). Shut the car and sound the alarm. If you get a quick voltage spike on the meter, change the horn.

If thats not it, follow to where those wires connect and put the leads there (you can connect the horn/siren back). Check that, if thats not the problem. Check the power and ground for the systems box, if thats good, change that box.

Give that a shot and let us know what you come up with.

-James
Old Jul 11, 2007, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Any updates OP???
Old Jul 12, 2007, 03:58 AM
Evolving Member

im gonna take it to the place i got them installed....

i got it like jan of 2006.

its a brand called "prestiege?" (w/o ?) lol

funny thing is sometimes it works fine and sometimes it wont.

im worried that when i take it to the shop to get it looked at it will work fine.