Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

should i get a mini battery ??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2007, 12:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
should i get a mini battery ??

i have a avic n1 radio navagation and am running 1 12 inche solo baric sub. i would love the engine bay space and weight saved with a mini battery

i just want to know how long you can sit in your car and listen to the radio.
how much less reserve power does a mini battery have?? i have a flip up 6.5 inche screen navagation system. can i sit in the car with the engine off and watch a whole movie without the car not starting later? with the stock battery i can sit in the car for hours and listen to the radio with no problem. i dont bump it loud when the car is off though. i can also watch a whole movie with no problem with the car off with the stock battery.

can i do this with a mini battery?

Last edited by riceball777; Dec 6, 2007 at 12:29 AM.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 01:56 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only way to make a mini battery work in a car with an aftermarket stereo with amps is to upgrade the alternator.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 02:13 AM
Evolved Member

i do not need an up graded alternator. i do not play my radio that loud. i just want to know the reserve power of a mini battery.
can i sit with the car off and watch a movie on my 7 inch screen headunit @ normal volume. and still being able to start the car after the movie.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 09:42 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey man, I'm just trying to help you. The only safe way to make it work is an upgraded alternator. Without one, your mini battery will eventually go flat. That could be hours, days, weeks, could be months, could be longer. But it will happen at some point.

And to answer your question about watching a movie, most likely your car would not start.

Decide which mini battery you want and then do some research or call the manufacturer to find out what they say about reserve power, CCAs, etc.

Last edited by atombomb33; Dec 6, 2007 at 10:04 AM.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

I have the Buschur mini battery kit and when I blew an intercooler pipe off on the highway we had the blinkers on for about 30 minutes and the car would not turn over once we got it running again. Take it for what its worth!!!

I would suggest either running a second battery or get a optima battery and move it to the rear.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 10:08 PM
BBS
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a mini battery is FOR MOTORCYCLES AND RV's. Only ic pipe kit that has a decent battery is XS-Engineering (not XS Power.) I believe they use a 51group battery or possible one from a miata. Stay away from a minibattery if its a daily driver.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

Just relocate your battery to the trunk. BTW why do you want to watch a whole movie in your car for anyways...lol..Go home or get a ****ing room or something.LMAO
Old Dec 7, 2007, 02:31 AM
Evolved Member

ok thanks for the info guy. i wont get a mini battery and i'm going to stay stock
judgeing by you responses a mini battery has no reserve power at all. i mean have the emergecy blinkers on for 30mins and killing the battery is horriable. i can leafe the emergency blinkers on with the stock battery all night and it will still start the car.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 04:36 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by BBS
a mini battery is FOR MOTORCYCLES AND RV's. Only ic pipe kit that has a decent battery is XS-Engineering (not XS Power.) I believe they use a 51group battery or possible one from a miata. Stay away from a minibattery if its a daily driver.
I hate absolutes like that.

First of all, while some cheaper mini-battery kits are based on a motorcycle, all are not. Get a good mini battery such as a braile unit and you will be good.

mini batteries are fine for a daily driver. If you have one with enough cold cranking amps. The key is to modify your car for what you're using it for. If you want to sit in a parking lot for ages watching your TV without the car running, then get a large optima with alot of reserve. if you want a battery which will start your car only, you're fine with a mini battery.

I have multiple amps, multiple drivers, an in dash TV, Ipod, satalite, radar detector, blah be de blah blah, and I run a braile carbon fiber mini battery with zero, nill, zilch problems. Of course, I do not sit with any drain on my system with my car not running.

The electrical system is no different than any other system in the car. If you design your electrical system for one thing, and use it for another, then you will not get good results. Design it to match what you are using it for, and you will get positive results.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

do not do it i have the a mini battery to save weight and obviouly you dont care about weight,i had to jump my car twice,but i could not belief the diffrence in handling,i took out my ac the same day and i could not belief how diffrent the car felt
Old Dec 7, 2007, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by riceball777
i do not need an up graded alternator. i do not play my radio that loud. i just want to know the reserve power of a mini battery.
can i sit with the car off and watch a movie on my 7 inch screen headunit @ normal volume. and still being able to start the car after the movie.
no,actually he is wright you will have to upgrade your alternator.

Last edited by bluebyu36; Dec 7, 2007 at 04:51 PM.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 06:57 PM
CGK
Evolving Member

I have the Nisei lw batt kit & I love it. It took ~20lbs off the front end. It starts up right away, but I only use the car on the weekends and don't watch movies in my car, lol.

BBY36...I am going to remove my ac this spring. Glad to read you can feel the diff w/o it. I hope my porker will feel more nimble w/o it.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CGK
I have the Nisei lw batt kit & I love it. It took ~20lbs off the front end. It starts up right away, but I only use the car on the weekends and don't watch movies in my car, lol.

BBY36...I am going to remove my ac this spring. Glad to read you can feel the diff w/o it. I hope my porker will feel more nimble w/o it.
Do you keep the batt disconnected during the week?
Old Dec 8, 2007, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

so if you wanted to run a mini battery and have things like a stereo, radar detector and so on... you would need a better alternator? does anyone know which battery has the most cca's?
Old Dec 8, 2007, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
My friend has a Buschur mini battery kit, hard-wired radar dectector, aftermarket Sony deck, and the SSL amp/sub and never once in our cold MN winters has he has a problem, even letting the car sit for a week.

Quick Reply: should i get a mini battery ??