Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Best Mounting for A-Pillar Tweeters?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Mounting for A-Pillar Tweeters?

I'm still awaiting one part and finishing another project, but some time in the next couple of weeks I'll be installing my new Evo stereo, including tweeters in the A pillars. (Using DLS MS6As with 1" silk dome tweeters.)

This morning I popped off one A pillar cover (start at the top edge and pull out firmly but carefully), and found my stock SSL tweeter is screwed to a metal bracket screwed to the pillar. The stock tweeters are aimed more or less sideways, across the dash; they point almost at one another.

I intend to fabricate similar metal brackets for my aftermarket tweeters. Some questions:
  • For good imaging, should I aim them inwards like the factory brackets, or back toward the occupants?
  • Should I remove the factory plastic grilles and replace them with something more acoustically transparent for better sound? (It might be a messy job; the grilles are plastic melted in place.)
  • It's hard to tell, looking under them, but is there enough room under the A pillars if I point the tweeter backwards, or will they hit the underside of the pillar covers?
  • Is it easy to route the wires behind the dash, and up to the pillars?
  • The aftermarket tweeters came with the wires soldered on. I would prefer to use plastic detachable connectors like the stockers. Maybe get them at Radio Shack, or reuse the factory connectors?
  • Is it helpful to add sound damping to the underside of the pillar cover, or the covered portion of the pillar itself?
  • Any harm in just re-using the factory tweeter wires entirely? (I can't imagine there's enough current going to the tweeters to justify thicker wires.)
  • Any other recommendations?
Thanks!

Last edited by Rod Munch; Jan 23, 2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i rewired the dash area for tweeters.
the passenger side, just drop a wire and if you have the glovebox removed its easy to see.
the driver side has much more going on under the dash so its a bit tricky.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks; that's about what I thought. I may use a semi-rigid wire to poke through the wires on the driver's side.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rod Munch
Thanks; that's about what I thought. I may use a semi-rigid wire to poke through the wires on the driver's side.
i had to tape the wire to a coat hanger straightened out and pushed it down
Old Jan 23, 2008, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

I put 2 more tweeters in the back and mounted them on top of each seat belt rest ( the carpet part) . They added a much richer tweeter sound.

The fronts I left alone. Sounds good to me for pretty much the stock system.