Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Lights flicker going over bumps, ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2008, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lights flicker going over bumps, ideas?

They go on fine, normal driving they are fine. But if I hit a bounce the driver side light flickers, and sometimes goes off all the way. I can turn the lights on off and on, and it will be lit again. Also, it seems to do it more so if I hit bumps while in a turn.

I'm thinking some wierd loose wire, which will suck to find, or could it be the bulb going bad? Is that possible?
This is for a set of HID lights, and it must take a pretty good bounce to do it, because if I just smack the crap out of the light with my hand while it's on, no flickering. Hopefully it's not the ballast, but it dosen't seem like that would do that.

Ideas, suggestions, or you think I pretty much have it? Anyone else have this happen?
Old Apr 12, 2008, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd guess loose wire.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 06:51 PM

loose wire, light switch itself, or faulty element in the light bulb. thats about all i can think of right now
Old Apr 12, 2008, 07:06 PM

You either have a poor contact at the bulb or at the harness where it connects to the light. I assume your refering to the headlight itself. If this is correct, you need to check to make sure all of your connections are good and your ballast is not loose. If it's loose, it will cause your light to do this.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 01:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like its more towards the ballast end if it doesn't flicker when you smack the crap out of the housing... although im sure a bump probably moves it more than a hand.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 04:58 AM
Evolving Member

Good point. Didn't even think of that. I can give the housing a pretty good shot with my hand and nothing so the bulb "should" be ok, but if it is the ballast or some wire farther in , that would take a bit more then what I can move it from the outside.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 03:23 PM

Loose ground wire or any wire pertaining to the lights that flicker.