Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Questions on JVC KD-NX5000 and other things

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2008, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions on JVC KD-NX5000 and other things

I'm considering getting this head unit, but have a few questions for those of you that have it installed.

1) I've read that the GPS on it isn't that great, that you can't get updates for outdated maps, and that it takes a while to input your destination because it's not a touch screen. Any thoughts on that?

2) How hard is it to take mp3s from my computer at home and put them on the hard drive on the head unit?

3) Can you change the colors of the buttons/knobs from blue to red or orange or anything to sort of match the factory gauge color?

Also I'm looking for any other suggestions on a new head unit in case this one doesn't work out. I'm only really looking for 2 things: GPS and a form of mp3 storage... either built in storage or an SD card slot or something along those lines (no i don't have an ipod). Touch screen would be nice but isn't needed.

Thanks
Old Oct 13, 2008, 04:36 PM

never been a fan of jvc, try going with either alpine or pioneer
Old Oct 24, 2008, 07:04 PM

It is hard to add the address to where you would like to go because of the bottoms are limited, the point of interest is pretty fast though. I'm not to sure if you can get updates on the maps but the unit is pretty dope though but you can't change the colors of the dash. I would say just go with a flip out that is touch with navi, its is easier to use.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

This year's JVC DVD's are junk. I haven't installed that exact one, but the ones that I carry I have had to send 2 back b/c of skipping issues. I will never recommend one again.

+1 as to either a pioneer, alpine or even a kenwood unit.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jackyll
I'm considering getting this head unit, but have a few questions for those of you that have it installed.

1) I've read that the GPS on it isn't that great, that you can't get updates for outdated maps, and that it takes a while to input your destination because it's not a touch screen. Any thoughts on that?

2) How hard is it to take mp3s from my computer at home and put them on the hard drive on the head unit?

3) Can you change the colors of the buttons/knobs from blue to red or orange or anything to sort of match the factory gauge color?

Also I'm looking for any other suggestions on a new head unit in case this one doesn't work out. I'm only really looking for 2 things: GPS and a form of mp3 storage... either built in storage or an SD card slot or something along those lines (no i don't have an ipod). Touch screen would be nice but isn't needed.

Thanks

ok i have one so ill answer all three questions. . .

1. you are right. the navi part isnt that easy to input things. . . but really it isnt as bad as you think. and there is an update out for the unit but it doesnt involve the navi

2. really easy. . . just make a data cd or dvd (for more space) but it has to be a -R i believe. load it in to the slot and goto the options (menu) and there should be an option to rip it on the the HDD

3. sadly u cant change the colors, but I was ok with that cuz i changed the dash with the trustz overlays(awesome btw) and actually the gauages work very well to so not to bad. . . .

if your looking for anything with a HDD i believe this is one of the only single dins out there. . . i personally think flip out screens are hideousand would never go with one.

you could look for a used Double din kit if you wanna go that route