Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Evo RS Audio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2009, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo RS Audio upgrade

I can't seem to find any thread on this subject but here goes. I'm purchasing an evo rs and I need some basic upgrades such as headunit and speakers. I don't want anything fancy or anything that would require custom work. I'm basically looking for something that will fit in without a problem. I'm looking on purchasing an Alpine CDA 9886 again (had this on my last car) and just wanted something that would work for it. I'm only looking to spend roughly $100 for every pair of speakers. I'm assuming I'll need 1 pair for the front, 1 pair for the rear and a set of tweeter. Please advise as I am completely lost.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I remember correctly, the RS is wired for audio, just nothing installed. Hopefully someone with an RS can confirm one way or the other.

What I would do is take your $200 (2 pairs) or $300 (if you were counting tweeters as a pair) and buy a good set of components, put them up front, and nothing in the rear.

I don't really understand what you're lost on. You seem to have a pretty good idea of what you want.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 04:59 PM

I got my RS used but I am pretty sure it was wired from the factory. just pop open the din cover and you should see a radio harness.

You will need a cable for the radio harness. ebay has them cheap 8.00
Old Jul 31, 2009, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys. What would you recommend Biggie?
Old Jul 31, 2009, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

i have infinity reference components in mine... it sounds nice...
but with alpine component id stick with all alpine components...

you dont really need the rears unless you just want it. you cant really hear it if you blast up the front ones.

alpine HU, alpine 4channel amp and alpine components will make it a killer sound system.
(killer meaning for a basic set up)

on my other evo i had 2 8" free air subs on it and it sounded bad *** and didnt take up any trunk space.

Old Jul 31, 2009, 08:34 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonn
I can't seem to find any thread on this subject but here goes. I'm purchasing an evo rs and I need some basic upgrades such as headunit and speakers. I don't want anything fancy or anything that would require custom work. I'm basically looking for something that will fit in without a problem. I'm looking on purchasing an Alpine CDA 9886 again (had this on my last car) and just wanted something that would work for it. I'm only looking to spend roughly $100 for every pair of speakers. I'm assuming I'll need 1 pair for the front, 1 pair for the rear and a set of tweeter. Please advise as I am completely lost.
The RS is wired for audio; I had one.

A 9886 doesn't offer much over 9884 besides 4V outs. You may want to consider a 9887 that'll essentially give you all the features of 9886+Imprint - PEQ, T/A, etc.

You really don't need rear speakers. Will you run the system off the HU? If you want something simple and reasonably good sounding without the need for a lot of tuning, I'd suggest BA coaxials like these:

http://www.woofersetc.com/p867/SL65-...l-Speakers.htm

You'll need adapters to fit the stock cutouts, regardless. They can be had an ebay for a few bucks.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

Ah nice. Thanks alot guys!
Old Aug 1, 2009, 10:41 PM

Not trying to hijack the thread but I also have an RS- If I just want the front speakers do I need a 4 ch amp or would a 2 ch be ok? I am looking at the JL Audio ZR650-CSi so what amp would you recommend?
Old Aug 2, 2009, 06:13 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dcshoeco16
Not trying to hijack the thread but I also have an RS- If I just want the front speakers do I need a 4 ch amp or would a 2 ch be ok? I am looking at the JL Audio ZR650-CSi so what amp would you recommend?
What's your budget, which HU are you using, and where will the amp be installed? Above is an example of an ARC Audio Mini installed in an Evo glovebox.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
the rs does come with the wiring so all you have to do is buy the rado and speakers you prefer. i bought a pioneer premier head unit with rockford fosgate speakers. it sounds great and does its job.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 07:28 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vmrevo9
the rs does come with the wiring so all you have to do is buy the rado and speakers you prefer. i bought a pioneer premier head unit with rockford fosgate speakers. it sounds great and does its job.
That sounds like a nice system. When I had a RS, I installed a Nak300 deck and a pair of Diamond D-series coaxials.

Knowing what I know now some 3 years later, after playing with mounds of car audio gear in an Evo, I would have taken a different route. Believe it or not, I would have used stock speakers; their sensitivity and sins of omission compliment the environment. Their lows are satisfying without a sub, and their tonal balance is unoffensive. Deck-wise, I'd choose an Alpine 9887, because its styling isn't awful and the display colors match the car. It's a quiet deck, meaning that it's easy to install without encountering noise, and its tuning features can be used to optimize the setup.

I really think that with an Evo, it's all or nothing when it comes to audio. Either, a small, simple system like I described above, or a much more complex, high-powered, tuned system like the one in my SE.

Last edited by FJF; Aug 2, 2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 08:16 AM

Im not sure about budget- I have an Alpine iDA-X305 and I was thinking of putting the amp under the passenger seat. Thanks in advance
Old Aug 2, 2009, 09:05 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Im not sure about budget- I have an Alpine iDA-X305 and I was thinking of putting the amp under the passenger seat. Thanks in advance
http://www.woofersetc.com/p126/GT22-...-Amplifier.htm

http://www.woofersetc.com/p596/REF20...-Amplifier.htm

http://www.woofersetc.com/p4287/LRX-...-Amplifier.htm

These are all very good amplifiers in varying price ranges. You may be able to get them for less on ebay. It it were me, I'd get the BA amp. I've seen them in black, which would make for a potentially nicer install. You an use heavy duty hook and loop material (ie. Velcro) to mount the amp under the seat. The carpet in our cars sticks to it very well.

The pic above shows a Zapco Ref200.2 under the passenger seat of my Evo. It's invisible with the seat installed.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 09:59 AM

Would a JL Audio 300/2 work? Thanks for your help
Old Aug 2, 2009, 01:47 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Would a JL Audio 300/2 work? Thanks for your help
If you look under the seat, there's an indentation in the floor. Physically, that's the limiting factor. The JL should just fit. Ideally, you'd want the side with all the wiring to face the front of the car with the heatsink facing the back. That will limit the chances of the rear passengers' feet being exposed to the wiring and make for a cleaner install. If you use interconnects with short barrels, you may be able to install it like I described. I've never done it, myself, but as you can see I've thought about it. The JL was available in black, though I don't know about V2. The black amp would further minimize the chances of it being seen, unless you don't mind. The JL is a very good amp.