Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Need help with installing a remote starter???

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2009, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with installing a remote starter???

Can anyone give me instructions (or link) on how to install a remote car starter for EVO 8 (5speed)????
Old Oct 22, 2009, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by dvd_mi
Can anyone give me instructions (or link) on how to install a remote car starter for EVO 8 (5speed)????
i wanna do the same thing on my evo, but my mechanic tells me its not possible due to the evo factory immobilizer. He said its cahnges its code every time, so its not possible to do a remote start set up. I question this though, i believe there must be a way to override the system.

cheers
Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:35 AM

I cannot offer help installing a remote start system, but you can have an immobilizer bypass installed in the car (a glorified box with a spare key in it). I have one in my car with my Viper remote start/alarm system. Works fine when i use it, although i almost never do.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:22 AM

i have personaly done remote start in an evo before. your mechanic doesn't know what he is talking about. go to the 12volt.com for your wiring diagram the evo and the regular lancer are the same as far as wiring. you will need a part called a 556uw made by directed electronics and a spare key that you are willing to lose. the only thing that is different about manual and auto is you have to by pass the clutch wires. there is two clutch switches. one switch has to be pressed in while the other has to be depressed. i can't remember which one needs what though. thats something you will have to figure out at the time of install. MAKE SURE YOU GET AN ALARM/START THAT HAS A MANUAL MODE. use a multi meter. and call the tech support of the alarm maker if your run into problems. sorry for posting twice my kid turned of the computer so i didn't know if it posted untill it was to late

Last edited by WRECKLESS96; Oct 23, 2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:33 AM

go to THE12VOLT.COM for your wiring diagram for your car.

you need a alarm/start with manual mode so you don't start your car into someone.
you need a part called a 556uw from directed electronics and a spare key that you are willing to lose in your dash
you need to by pass the 2 clutch switches
call techsupport of the alarm maker if you run into issues.

by the way there is know car out there where the keycode changes. i've been installing car audio and alarms for 7 years so if you have questions let me know
Old Oct 23, 2009, 05:04 AM

thanks wreckless, i appreciate it, the alarm i wanna install is DEI.

I'll let u know how i go. I live in Thailand and finding someone with sufficient knowledge of state of the art alarm technology is not an easy task.

cheers
Old Oct 23, 2009, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bkk_evo_guy
i wanna do the same thing on my evo, but my mechanic tells me its not possible due to the evo factory immobilizer. He said its cahnges its code every time, so its not possible to do a remote start set up. I question this though, i believe there must be a way to override the system.

cheers
your mechanic is wrong on this, if the immoblizer and the key changed there codes to sync every time our keys would be way more expensive when they were misplaced. i think your mechanic is just lazy
Old Oct 24, 2009, 02:38 PM

Does anybody know if you can get a spare key with a chip from a locksmith or do you have to go straight through the dealer? I'm assuming its going to cost more through the dealer.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 02:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 346 Likes on 262 Posts
I don't know if parking the car in neutral all the time is such a safe idea.... wouldn't you have to do that if you remote start it ? Otherwise it'll creep forward in first every time you remote start lol.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 06:53 PM

you can go to the dealer they range anywhere from 50 to 150 bucks
Old Oct 26, 2009, 07:04 PM

do not leave the car in gear at all. i know first hand. back when i owned my civic i had remote start on it and i started it. i started it after a ufc fight i started my car come to find out i had started it into my managers car. when i went out side to leave my car was underneath his. his bumper was almost touching my windshield. it only takes once to f up your car. i had gone five years with out leaving it in gear. sence i got the evo i didn't want to put remote start on it
Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by WRECKLESS96
do not leave the car in gear at all. i know first hand. back when i owned my civic i had remote start on it and i started it. i started it after a ufc fight i started my car come to find out i had started it into my managers car. when i went out side to leave my car was underneath his. his bumper was almost touching my windshield. it only takes once to f up your car. i had gone five years with out leaving it in gear. sence i got the evo i didn't want to put remote start on it
Fail....I saw something similar happen before also. lol
Old Aug 9, 2010, 08:03 AM

The Compustar remote start I had installed in my car requires you to put it in "reservation mode". Basically you have to stop the car, put it in neutral, remove your foot from clutch, set the parking brake, remove your foot from the brake, remove the key from the ignition, then get out of the car. The car continues to run until you shut your door, then it turns off and the doors lock. Only then is remote start available.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of DEI's Python, Clifford, and Viper line have a manual mode where you have to do a sequence of pulls of the ebrake, pressing the brake, and turning the ignition each time before you exit the car in order for it to remote start. Example

-Turn the car off, get out, lock doors. Car will not remote start if you tried.
-Turn the car off, step on the foot brake, pull the ebrake, turn ign on then off, release foot brake, get out and lock the door. Car will then remote start.

This is the 556U that is needed. We have had to get a few keys made for customer cars and as stated, have found that going to the stealerships it can run $50-$150.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 05:44 PM

i had a remote start installed in my evo until i sold it ;[

Quick Reply: Need help with installing a remote starter???