Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Red fq300 Evo 8 bumper match

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2010, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red fq300 Evo 8 bumper match

I recently fitted a new Evo 9 bumper onto my Evo 8,I took the paint code off this site listed for the Evo 8/9 in red as they are the same but the bumpers been on a few weeks now,I gave it time to die down a bit but it's just alot brighter than the rest of the car,the fella that painted it is ggonna have another go at it but is there any other code of paint that matches better?my car has never been damaged,the paint is in excellent condition after a recent detailing,
any help would be much appreciated as I don't wanna have to blend the paint in by painting the quarter panels
Old Apr 11, 2010, 08:25 PM

color code can be the same but every color still has to be matched. When I look up a color there are alternate cards, meaning there can be slight variations in color depending on when it was painted. The color code gives you a base to start with, the rest is up to the professional. Red can be one of the worst colors to match because it is the most transparent. That means if you spray a primer that is a slightly different color then the original primer that the factory sprayed, you could have the exact same red paint the factory used and it would look different because of the color behind it. It's a trial and error and at times it means fading the hood and fenders so you don't have that hard line color change so it's not noticable.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

If they don't have one of those "Color Spectrometer" gauges then dude, go to someone who has one. My brother does work for BMW and they have this (he calls it) "Color Spectrometer" thing that they use and it matches colors perfectly. He puts it on the car, clicks go, it makes some noises, emits some lights and then spits out a perfect color code for your car, taking sun fade, oxidation and all that crap into account. Go to someone with one and get your code then go back to your guy and have him fix it up.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dyezak
If they don't have one of those "Color Spectrometer" gauges then dude, go to someone who has one. My brother does work for BMW and they have this (he calls it) "Color Spectrometer" thing that they use and it matches colors perfectly. He puts it on the car, clicks go, it makes some noises, emits some lights and then spits out a perfect color code for your car, taking sun fade, oxidation and all that crap into account. Go to someone with one and get your code then go back to your guy and have him fix it up.
my iPhone has the same app...

Old Apr 21, 2010, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by dyezak
The color spectrometer will work but I have never seen an exact match but it will get you really close. Oxidation affects the clear coat and that has nothing to do with the color, you can get rid of oxidation by sand and buff.

Red is the least durable color in all paint, home and auto. It fades the fastest because it is so transparent. Because it fades, you can match it at that present time and be a perfect match but two years down the line the newest paint will fade slower then the original. Auto body is an art and never just cut and dry simple.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 06:34 PM

In other words good luck, if he's willing to give it another go then he takes pride in his work. It's not him, he's doing what he can.