Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Tail light issue

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2010, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tail light issue

Ok, a while ago, my dad put DEPO JDM MR replica tail lights on his VIII MR. The drivers side harness that came with the left tail light was wired wrong. I replcaed it with the facorty harness. After installing everything, everything seemed to work fine for months.

Today I was driving his car and noticed when I shift into reverse the right turn signal indicator illuminates very dimmly. I turned the car off and kept the key on with the car in reverse to take a look. The right rear turn signal was illuminated dimmly. Also the reverse light is dim on the right side and normal on the driver side.

I went home and put a stock tail light harness on the right tail light and I still had issues with the lights not working correctly, but they were different problems now. Now, if you use the right turn signal while in reverse you can see the left reverse light dimmly blink.

**** is all ****ed up. We never noticed an issue with the stock tail lights before we installed the DEPO's, But ever since we installed the DEPO tail lights, even with stock harness's there have been odd issues.

His car is pretty much stock and still under warrenty so I'm going to suggest he installs the stock tail ligths and takes it to the dealer. Maybe there is a ground problem somewhere? I'm terrible with electrical diag.

Any ideas?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 04:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If its under warranty, best bet is to bring it in. Tinkering with it, you run the risk of voiding that warranty.