Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Tweeter Blowout

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2012, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tweeter Blowout

Hey guys,

So I switched out my crappy stock speakers in my evo for alpine units all around, including an alpine headunit. Everything was good for a while, all of a sudden the passenger side tweeter blew out, now im 27 years old, I dont listen to my music like a 18 year old kid, I merely switched the speakers cause the last idiot blew out most of the stock. So I thought wow that sucks, order another set of alpine type R tweeters, not cheap but eh, installed, works great. A couple more weeks go by and duth my ears deceive me??? This one blows out too, wtf??? All the other speakers work great, just this one side, two different vendors. Is this possibly a wiring issue? its seeming less like a component issue and more like something power/wire related.....
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

I have two sets on my Evo and never had any issues. My front tweeters are Polk and my rear are some local made here in Cali.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

http://
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

I really think its something to do with the wiring, if the wire was grounding out would that cause the speaker to blow out?
Old Jun 24, 2012, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

did you remove or did anything with the wiring to potentially cross wire or ground?
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Nothing, all I did was replace, I don't know enough about audio to troubleshoot, I dunno....
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:28 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Frew
Nothing, all I did was replace, I don't know enough about audio to troubleshoot, I dunno....
Sorry for the basic question, are the tweeters connected to a crossover?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Not at all, i apprecoate you trying to help. No crossover, just in the stock IX location, I tried adding a crossover on the original installation but I guess it was filter too much, you could barely hear the sound coming out of it and it was super high pitched
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Check your polarity. If some for some reason they were hooked up backwards that will blow a speaker real quick.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:42 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Not at all, i apprecoate you trying to help. No crossover, just in the stock IX location, I tried adding a crossover on the original installation but I guess it was filter too much, you could barely hear the sound coming out of it and it was super high pitched
The stock tweeters are already limited in their extension, so adding another crossover would result in the response you're descending, if I'm understanding this correctly.

You're blowing the Alpine tweeters, because they're running full-range. Meaning, they're trying to reproduce frequencies they can't handle, producing excess heat, in turn resulting in catastrophic failure. Did the Type-Rs come with a crossover, or did you buy the drivers secondhand? Am I understanding that all the drivers (tweeters and mids) are now running without a crossover?

Originally Posted by MechTech
Check your polarity. If some for some reason they were hooked up backwards that will blow a speaker real quick.
No. Just no. This is pretty much impossible, save for a setup where the drivers are (essentially) perfectly matched, facing each other with little distance between them, and a demand for high amplitude. FWIW, tweeters in mobile installations are typically wired out of phase with each other, as they are in the stock setup.

Last edited by FJF; Jun 25, 2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
The stock tweeters are already limited in their extension, so adding another crossover would result in the response you're descending, if I'm understanding this correctly.

You're blowing the Alpine tweeters, because they're running full-range. Meaning, they're trying to reproduce frequencies they can't handle, producing excess heat, in turn resulting in catastrophic failure. Did the Type-Rs come with a crossover, or did you buy the drivers secondhand? Am I understanding that all the drivers (tweeters and mids) are now running without a crossover?

No. Just no. This is pretty much impossible, save for a setup where the drivers are (essentially) perfectly matched, facing each other with little distance between them, and a demand for high amplitude. FWIW, tweeters in mobile installations are typically wired out of phase with each other, as they are in the stock setup.
I have the crossovers, all drivers are running without a crossover, like I said when I put a crossover in the sound for the tweeter got very very high and you could barely hear it, I would agree with you about the tweeter trying to display the full spectrum of sound but why hasn't the other one blown out? Just this one twice....Also neither tweeter is showing any sign of strain, feedback, clipping, phasing, etc they sound great. I just don't get it...
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:51 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

...but why hasn't the other one blown out? Just this one twice....
Couldn't even begin to guess in a vacuum.

Looking at the speaker manual, the x-over allows for as much as a 6dB reduction in relative volume for the tweeter. Perhaps you had it set there, or at the -4dB point?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Couldn't even begin to guess in a vacuum.

Looking at the speaker manual, the x-over allows for as much as a 6dB reduction in relative volume for the tweeter. Perhaps you had it set there, or at the -4dB point?
Sadly these don't look like very high tech crossovers, just look like two bundles of copper wire with wires coming out of them. I dunno....I need to consult someone really good with audio, all I know is go fast guys
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the crossovers, all drivers are running without a crossover, like I said when I put a crossover in the sound for the tweeter got very very high and you could barely hear it, I would agree with you about the tweeter trying to display the full spectrum of sound but why hasn't the other one blown out? Just this one twice....Also neither tweeter is showing any sign of strain, feedback, clipping, phasing, etc they sound great. I just don't get it...
missing crossover is the answer.
trying to play bass on a tweeter will blow it.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Um, that's the frequencies that are supposed to come out of a tweeter.. and they should not be loud at all..

The Type R components come with a cross over. You are supposed to run a full range signal (the radio signal to the lower door speaker) to the cross over, and then split it to the mid-bass speaker and the tweeter..

you also might have an impedance issue going on there, but I don't know the specs of the factory tweeter/type R tweeter in front of me.

Quick Reply: Tweeter Blowout