Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Replacing OEM HID Ballasts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Replacing OEM HID Ballasts

Since I can't find this anywhere after a few hours of searching the internet:

I'm looking to replace the OEM HID's (bulbs and ballasts) with a 50w or 55w kit...Output isn't quite what I'd like from HID's and after driving friends cars (s2000, lexus suv, bmw's) the increased output would be nice

i know that the bulbs are d2s, that's not biggie, but what I can't figure out is what type of plug goes into the ballast from the harness. I do not want to hack up my harness at all

also, since i'm going from 35w (which i believe stock is) to 50/55w, should i be running a relay from the battery so that the harness doesn't get overloaded or anything? the last thing i want to do with this is hack up anything in my car or ruin the harness

so, if anyone knows what type of connector plugs into the ballast (not the bulb) and also if i should be running a relay for a 50w kit I would greatly appreciate the help!

Oh, also, i've been reading places that the fog lights are wired in weird on those that have them, if i replace the ballast and bulb will I still have fog lights? I read somewhere that the fog's were attached through the ballasts somehow
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i was looking at putting a 55w ballast in as well with d2s bulbs. and ddm says that the connector for the ballast has to be 9006, which i know for non hid heads thats the plug, but those with hid's its a different connector.

so i havent done it, waiting for someone that has put a 55w ballast on their evo that came with OEM HID
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Well I just talked to TheRetrofitSource and they said I'd need to snip the ballast connector and solder on a 9006 connector to work properly with aftermarket ballasts...

does anyone know what type of connector the OEM HID ballast has? I'd much rather make a gender changer adapter than snip my harness
Old Mar 1, 2012, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rather than running brighter bulbs why not just retrofit some better projectors?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Retroing better projectors is a lot more work, and beyond a lot of people's skill or comfort level. Plus its generally more expensive.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alex_s817
Rather than running brighter bulbs why not just retrofit some better projectors?
bulbs/ ballast can be had for 1/4 of the cost to put projectors in. dont have 700 bucks to throw around just to put projectors in.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Not only that, the HID's aren't bad by any means compared to FX-R's, TSX, etc.

Essentially the work that I'd have to do is nowhere near the gains I'd get from new projectors

Still trying to figure out what type of plug is on the ballast...the ballast I'm looking at buying are 9006 (normal halogen plugs) but I can't figure out what plugs are on the ballasts since not many people do HID -> HID swaps. Only looking for this because I don't want to hack up my harness and solder the new plugs on.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Well, I finally found the plug-in that goes to the ballast, does anyone know what type of plug this is? This is the end that would plug into the ballast

Name:  DSC09465.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  152.6 KB
Old Mar 26, 2013, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do threads like this just die ?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Because of one-off parts.

I was never able to find the connectors I needed so that I could make a plug-in adapter from the OE harness -> adapter -> 9006 ballast and I didn't want to cut up my harness, so I'm still running OE ballast

By far the easiest way is to chop off the stock connectors and solder in new 9006 connectors that will plug directly into aftermarket 9060 ballasts

If you have halogens from the factory, this is a non-issue as you already will have 9006 connectors
Old Mar 26, 2013, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Why not cut the connector off the stock ballast and splice it into the aftermarket ballast? Then you wouldn't have to touch the harness.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

because that involves chopping up two ballasts, and the connector on the stock ballast is "molded" to the ballast as opposed to being "wired" (where the connector is on ~4" of wire) like aftermarket ones. If it were wired it'd be easy beacuse I could buy a non-working ballast and snip that!

see here for what I mean:
Replacing OEM HID Ballasts-fld1i0w.jpg

I haven't tried unscrewing it or anything because I don't want to get down-and-dirty with my perfectly working ballasts and mess something up; these puppies are expensive to replace
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

I see what your saying. Maybe you can get someone with a broken one to take it apart and see what you'd have to work with.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 04:20 AM

Id be willing to take my broke one appart... Do you guy any info on wiring up new connectors ? Thought i read somthing about reverse polarity ??
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Im still not understanding why you cant make an adaptor with connectors from two wrecked cars (one with HID (find 2 burnt out ballasts) and One without(standard 9006 socket)) with the 2 wires (black and red) running between each end then use your 55wballast conversion from a 9006.

Quick Reply: Replacing OEM HID Ballasts