Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Dimmer will not dim

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Dimmer will not dim

My lights on the inside do not dim. They turn on with the headlights but dont dim.
ive bought 3 used dimmers and nothing. anyway to check what is wrong? or what the problem is?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
what lights? do you have LEDs or the stock lights in the dash and gauge cluster?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

All stock except for the three VDO gauges which are LED but nothing is dimming. Cluster HVAC, or radio
Old Sep 5, 2018, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
get a multimeter and start poking through the wiring. first thing to check would be if the dimmers are functioning properly and then just follow wires from there
Old Sep 6, 2018, 09:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What radio are you using? How is it wired?

While wiring up mine, I saw a black wire in the audio harness ( it was illum -) and I connected that to ground. Ever since my interior lights were stuck at full brightness and dimmer wouldnt work. The moment I disconnected that and gave a separate ground, everything was back to normal.

This probably is a wiring issue, do give all the illum related wires a thorough going over.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Kenwood
Thanks for the info. your right, might be a grounding issue. Ill have to go through it again

its just odd that a false ground in the radio or gauges would affect the dimmer on all dash/HVAC lights

i had the exact set up installed in my previous evo exactly the same and no prob. I just transfered it all to this new to me evo which per the previous owner was working.