Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Low voltage when turning on defroster

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Low voltage when turning on defroster

Hey everyone

So I'm having a weird issue where everytime I turn on my front defroster and sometimes my rear defroster, the voltage will drop to 12-12.4 volts.. I have a video if needed

Does this sound like an alternator going bad or something else?

I am also having an issue where I am running lean when coming to a stop and on startup.. there's a thread on here where someone had the same issue and fixed it by getting a new alternator.. not sure if these issues are related or not though..
Old May 6, 2019, 04:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G63_Crazy
Hey everyone

So I'm having a weird issue where everytime I turn on my front defroster and sometimes my rear defroster, the voltage will drop to 12-12.4 volts.. I have a video if needed

Does this sound like an alternator going bad or something else?

I am also having an issue where I am running lean when coming to a stop and on startup.. there's a thread on here where someone had the same issue and fixed it by getting a new alternator.. not sure if these issues are related or not though..
Some good posts on evom today!

You are not alone. My car does the same exact thing with the defrosters for front and rear. I am not sure why this happens for the front since it's just using the heater core inside the mix box, but the rear window heating element might draw a significant amount of current which causes a voltage drop that even affects the voltage at the fuel pump, REGARDLESS if you are hardwired to the battery. I have a voltage gauge directly wired to the fuel pump. Lower voltage at the fuel pump will cause a leaner condition.

Whenever I beat on the car, i turn off both defrosters. It's not even an initial current draw, it's constant. The moment I turn off the rear defroster, my fuel pump voltage (aka battery voltage) jumps back up to a steady 13.5v.
Old May 6, 2019, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
Some good posts on evom today!

You are not alone. My car does the same exact thing with the defrosters for front and rear. I am not sure why this happens for the front since it's just using the heater core inside the mix box, but the rear window heating element might draw a significant amount of current which causes a voltage drop that even affects the voltage at the fuel pump, REGARDLESS if you are hardwired to the battery. I have a voltage gauge directly wired to the fuel pump. Lower voltage at the fuel pump will cause a leaner condition.

Whenever I beat on the car, i turn off both defrosters. It's not even an initial current drop, it's constant. The moment I turn off the rear defroster, my fuel pump voltage (aka battery voltage) jumps back up to a steady 13.5v.

Yea even with the defrosters off, the car still stumbles when coming to a stop and on startup, which is making my tuner think it's a bad fuel pump.. too many problems 😂