EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Electrical / Audio / Security (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-electrical-audio-security-180/)
-   -   are these aftermarket interior parts street legal? (racing seats, harnesses, rollbar) (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-electrical-audio-security/300408-these-aftermarket-interior-parts-street-legal-racing-seats-harnesses-rollbar.html)

sinajoon5 Oct 9, 2007 12:05 AM

are these aftermarket interior parts street legal? (racing seats, harnesses, rollbar)

hey guys,

I recently decided to make my evo IX geared more towards a track car and only some street use. i was wondering if these 3 parts were still street legal though if and when i decide to stroll around town in the evo.

Bride Zeta III seats
Takata 4 or 5 point harnesses
Autopower 4 point roll bar

i know cops will have more of a reason to pull me over once they see my interior. was hoping some of these parts were atleast street legal.
any info would be great.

thanks,
Sina H.

Speed Element Oct 9, 2007 02:03 AM

BRIDE Zeta III - The only FIA approved seat in BRIDE seat line up - so yes

Takata Racing Harness - As long as they are FIA approved, yes they are legal to have. but you wouldn't want to use it for daily basis.. it just looks funny ..

Autopower 4 point roll-bar - they are legal as long as you don't take any passengers in the back.

frijolee Oct 17, 2007 08:54 PM

I have racing seats, a six point roll bar, and harnesses in an rx7. It passed the DMV inspection in CA no problem when I brought it in from out of state. The gal didn't look for FIA approvals but that doesn't mean you aren't supposed to have them.

cpoevo Oct 19, 2007 08:21 AM

FIA does not mean it is street legal. They must be NHTSA legal and the only company that has that is Schroth.

frijolee Oct 19, 2007 11:32 AM

Hmmm, mine are Pyrotech's so it looks like when I replace the harnesses eventually I know who to go to.

brandonl Oct 22, 2007 01:19 PM

Any seat belts in a street driven vehicle have to be DOT approved, no race harnesses I have ever seen or heard of have DOT numbers. The seats are legal and the cage is legal as long as it doesnt hinder you getting out of the car (has door bars intact while driving). Some states may only allowed a "back half" cage so there arent skull cracking tubes next to your mellon, and obviously no one can ride in the back seat.

90GSX-03EVO Oct 29, 2007 03:54 PM

As long as you don't take out the factory seat belts and use nothing but the harnesses, you shouldn't get harassed on that one.

Analogy: If you've got a set of non-DOT approved tires sitting in the back seat of your car, they aren't going to give you a ticket for driving on illegal tires.

Klei14 Oct 31, 2007 08:23 PM

I love racing seats, but I am sure its just one more thing for a cop to be a dick about

brandonl Nov 1, 2007 05:05 AM

Very true, but a lot of people (most likely including cops) dont think the stock Evo seats are factory installed. I had someone in a parking lot window peeping and then ask me where I got the cool reclining race seats : )

JayJay Nov 4, 2007 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by 90GSX-03EVO (Post 4901957)
As long as you don't take out the factory seat belts and use nothing but the harnesses, you shouldn't get harassed on that one.

I agree, dont remove the stock belts and you should be ok. Not to mention it is good to have the option to use them escpeially if you have differnet size passangers.

DeusExMaxima Nov 4, 2007 09:20 PM

I have leather Evo 8 seats in my Maxima and Sparco harnesses and I was wondering thing.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97...a/DSCN2280.jpg

evo_tiago Nov 8, 2007 10:59 AM

WOW!!! love ure seats with hareness DeusExMaxima.. nice!!

garryfieldevo Nov 11, 2007 08:11 PM

in some jurisdictions, harnesses are not allowed to be used for street, but then again, why would you want to anyway? :)

MD@ Nov 12, 2007 12:22 AM

In SoCal you will for sure get attention from the police for having a rollbar and hopefully your seats aren't red, but those 2 aren't going to get you any tickets. But don't use a harness on the street, a friend of mine got a ticket for using a 5-point while driving around. Keep your stock belt in place and use that while daily driving the car.

garryfieldevo Nov 13, 2007 06:59 PM

i dont see the need for the harness on street anyway? would be the biggest hassle