Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Which Transfer Case are you on??
2003 EVO on 1st replacement T-case
75.34%
2003 EVO on 2nd replacement T-case
19.18%
2004 EVO on 1st replacement T-case
5.48%
2004 EVO on 2nd replacement T-case
0%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Blown Transfer case Poll

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2004, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown Transfer case Poll

How many transfer cases have you been through and what year is your car?

Are some transfer cases crappier than others? I have a friend who is on his 2nd replacement. He only has 300+whp. How are these mega horsepower EVOs not killing their transfer cases...especially on the dragstrip???
Old Nov 5, 2004, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

where is the choice for no problems?
Old Nov 5, 2004, 11:12 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
how about adding whether it is stock or heavily modified. It seems it is your friend's evo, that amounts to a hearsay thread.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 11:34 AM

I heard a funny humming/whining noise on Sunday. The pitch changed with the SPEED of the car. It got louder and added a grinding noise on Monday. Took it in Tuesday. The oil from the transfer case revealed tons of metal - ouch. Mitsu is replacing it under warranty - $2600 part!! All I have is an ACT clutch (street disc, spring hub, 500ft-lbs clamping) and Dynoflash's reflash. The noise came suddenly, which was weird, but I didn't hear anything give way. The dealer said they have replaced a few of them already....suck.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by batmoEVO
I heard a funny humming/whining noise on Sunday. The pitch changed with the SPEED of the car. It got louder and added a grinding noise on Monday. Took it in Tuesday. The oil from the transfer case revealed tons of metal - ouch. Mitsu is replacing it under warranty - $2600 part!! All I have is an ACT clutch (street disc, spring hub, 500ft-lbs clamping) and Dynoflash's reflash. The noise came suddenly, which was weird, but I didn't hear anything give way. The dealer said they have replaced a few of them already....suck.
How the hell did you get it cover by warranty with those mods. Good luck but hope won't come back and said otherwise. I'm paranoid with this TC problem.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 11:45 AM

Yeah, I just called the dealerships in my area and got one that was pretty cool. I asked him straight up how the aftermarket clutch (didn't tell him I removed the restrictor ) would affect my warranty. He said, as long as it didn't cause any obvious problems, it was cool. The dealership where I bought my car said that if I put in an aftermarket clutch, they would void the warranty on the whole drive train!!! Sometimes you just get lucky - plus they don't know about the reflash. But they did say they had to fight with to get them to do it.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 11:53 AM

lol....thats funny to hear ...mitsu still hasnt built a strong xfer case.
i own a TT stealth and weve been having the problems since inception.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GottaGoFaster
How are these mega horsepower EVOs not killing their transfer cases...especially on the dragstrip???
Different launching techniques and driving styles. You need to learn to let off the gas if your car starts wheel hopping.

Also, make sure you use the right oil in the t-case! The FSM calls out for SAE90 oil only!
Old Nov 5, 2004, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chrisw
where is the choice for no problems?
Well, then it wouldn't be a poll about blown transfer cases now would it
Old Nov 5, 2004, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marksae
Different launching techniques and driving styles. You need to learn to let off the gas if your car starts wheel hopping.

Also, make sure you use the right oil in the t-case! The FSM calls out for SAE90 oil only!
The first blown T-case was in Redline oils

2nd was in OEM oils
Old Nov 5, 2004, 02:34 PM

Blew mine right after the Exedy Twin install. Sucks. 2 grand in the crapper for ZERO improvement. Obviously the weak link.

SOMEONE BUILD A BETTER ONE, PLEASE!
Old Nov 6, 2004, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

ttt
Old Nov 6, 2004, 06:27 AM

Blew mine right after installing Cusco twin. Sucks to have to buy complete transfer case assembly just because your break a gear.
Old Nov 6, 2004, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marksae

Your statement is BS..... Some of the TC are not shimmed right that is why they go... I had my first one go at 2000K miles on my car with NO mods.... and again at 9000K miles it is leaking..... and they are replacing it again.... It has to do weather the thing was shimmed properly.... I know a guy that is on his 4th..... and some poeple that have almost 400whp and they have no problems......
It all has to due with the way it is assembled...
Old Nov 6, 2004, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

when i blew my tc...it was really odd...I revved it up trying to do a 4 wheel smoke show...and BANG...then when i drove it no noise nothing...but it would sometimes take thw steering wheel and force it left or right....scary as ****

Quick Reply: Blown Transfer case Poll