Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is this a typical gain for gears on stock cams? (dyno plot inside)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2004, 06:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Is this a typical gain for gears on stock cams? (dyno plot inside)

I've heard mixed things on here about how much cam gears are worth on the stock cams, so I spent sometime doing a search this morning and came across this DD dyno plot posted by Vishnu a while back showing a Stage I Vishnu car with and without cam gears:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...chmentid=18344

That shows a BIG gain! If it's really that substantial, then I'm very interested in going this way. Does anyone else have any dyno experience with how much gears are worth on stock cams?
Old Nov 20, 2004, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cam Gears allow you to screw with the timing of the cams.... those show the before and after but there are 26 dyno pulls between the two. They could have done alot of screwing around in 26 pulls. It is possible to get alot of power out of a stock car... just make it more unsafe Im sure that is possible though yes.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have full stage one from Vishnu and had it tuned by Shiv. Another evo had the same exhaust without the gears and there is a significant difference at the top-end.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
Cam Gears allow you to screw with the timing of the cams.... those show the before and after but there are 26 dyno pulls between the two. They could have done alot of screwing around in 26 pulls. It is possible to get alot of power out of a stock car... just make it more unsafe Im sure that is possible though yes.
756-736=19 where did you get 26? unsafe? where do you get this information?
Old Nov 20, 2004, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

idk, i had the stage 0+ vishnu for 1 day before i did my cam gears as well. honestly, i couldn't really tell much of a difference. probably will make a huge difference with aftermarket cams though, if you plan to go that route.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsujeff55
idk, i had the stage 0+ vishnu for 1 day before i did my cam gears as well. honestly, i couldn't really tell much of a difference. probably will make a huge difference with aftermarket cams though, if you plan to go that route.
Im not downplaying Vishnu, just seems odd no one else reccomends cam gears really expect them as a beggining, intermeidate mod. People go 10s on stock ones so I cant really see a reason to change them IMO
Old Nov 21, 2004, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

I'm pretty sure Vishnu uses the gears to address drivability issues. If you go 10s on stock gears, congratulations and all, but I doubt the car's a joy in traffic. The Vishnu cars are undeniably fast, but their tuning philosophy seems to be heavy on refinement. So there you go.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 09:36 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
Sorry, but you're way off base.
Retarding the cam gears to -5/-5 on stock cams not only makes a ton of power up top where it matters, but it also makes the car more safe. Knock resistance is increased up top significantly. There is a slight cost of midrange punch, but I'll take top end power over midrange power anyday.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hatorade
I'm pretty sure Vishnu uses the gears to address drivability issues. If you go 10s on stock gears, congratulations and all, but I doubt the car's a joy in traffic. The Vishnu cars are undeniably fast, but their tuning philosophy seems to be heavy on refinement. So there you go.
Um I dont think so. There are plenty of 1G and 2G DSMs that are street cars that have the stock cam gears, drivability is definitely not a big issue with cam gears, where are you getting this from? Ive never heard that one.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

I don't think you read what I said as it was intended. I'm not saying the stock cam gears are bad. I'm saying adjustable cam gears allow you to refine the way the car runs. Good enough does not mean as good as it gets.

Notably, a 10 second evo is more than likely running cams. Adjustable gears would likely be helpful in getting the low-rev range to run more like a streetcar.

Vishnu seems to be interested in that aspect of tuning, is all I'm saying.

Last edited by Hatorade; Nov 21, 2004 at 03:43 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 05:36 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
Um I dont think so. There are plenty of 1G and 2G DSMs that are street cars that have the stock cam gears, drivability is definitely not a big issue with cam gears, where are you getting this from? Ive never heard that one.
The motor in the 1G and 2G DSMs are fairly different from each other, and quite a bit different from the Evo. Sure they're all the 4G63, but many changes/updates have occured.

Also, you can't compare a 10 second car on race gas to a stockish mid 12 second cam geared Evo on pump fuel. The cam gears make the car more knock resistant, which pays large dividends on pump gas and daily drivability.

Don't knock it until you have proof otherwise. And unless every dyno we (several others in addition to myself) have tuned them on is lying, you'll never find that proof.