Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Anyone install a JDM Front LSD?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2004, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And don't you have to disable ABS in order to have a front LSD in an '03/'04? I thought I heard something like that, that's why the RSs don't have ABS.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eevoo
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all the 2005 Evo's coming with helical front LSD and ACD? Here's my question, will a 2005 and up LSD fit into a 2003-2004 car? ie be "backwards compatible"? We may not know yet. If so, I'll be waiting for the junkyards to start accumulating 2005s so i can get my hands on one
As soon as anyone tries this please post on here so us poor 2003-2004 non-LSD-havin buggers can find out!
The other difference is that the newer cars are ACD equipped (ie not compatible).

Originally Posted by oak2207
And don't you have to disable ABS in order to have a front LSD in an '03/'04? I thought I heard something like that, that's why the RSs don't have ABS.
This is precisely why you go for the Quaife unit. All of this has been engineered into it...
Old Nov 29, 2004, 01:30 AM
Evolving Member

the quaife unit has nothin to do with disabling the abs on the 03-04, in fact this has been covered and answered over and over.....either quaife or ralliart, they both act as an open diff when the throttle is off on turn ins so there is no problem there.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by tama_mog
the quaife unit has nothin to do with disabling the abs on the 03-04, in fact this has been covered and answered over and over.....either quaife or ralliart, they both act as an open diff when the throttle is off on turn ins so there is no problem there.
My point was that it is one less thing to worry about with the Quaife.

Chris
Old Nov 29, 2004, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by -130 R-
My point was that it is one less thing to worry about with the Quaife.

Chris
Chris,

the ralliart and quaife are both torson type diffs so they both operate the same way.

If you continue to have questions search. This subject has been beat to death before.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by chrisw
Chris,

the ralliart and quaife are both torson type diffs so they both operate the same way.

If you continue to have questions search. This subject has been beat to death before.
Again, my point is that the Quaife will be drop-in. To do the Ralliart, it would require some fabrication etc. I am merely mentioning the path of least resistance...
Old Nov 29, 2004, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Not exactly a lot of labor in the fabrication, TRE has done it since they started working on evo IV's, Jon @ TRE assures me it's always been the same process...takes 2 hours of their shop time and he'll wave the fee if you give him the stock open diff for research....check out their page for their tranny services, they got a full lineup for the evo now. Also I've heard nothin but good results from people usin the ralliart diff and when I bought it from z1auto, the quaife wasn't out (and still technically isn't) so I went with that route.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Is there any "official word" from Mitsu as far as lsd's being inserted in open diff carriers??

Ive heard everything from ABS malfunction to the confusion of center differential lol
Old Nov 29, 2004, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Of course not. Mitsu doesn't want anyone messing with the TC, it's not even considered a servicable item, you can only order the TC as a complete unit. As a car company, Mitsu can't comment on these issues regarding the interaction of a third party product with something like brakes, because they are not responsible for the design or manufacture of the third party LSD, if anything went wrong, it would be lawsuit city for Mitsubishi.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 01:30 PM
Account Disabled

Exactly. We have several customers running this diff in their car, the longest for nearly a year now. Track day cars, daily driven cars, drag cars - not a single issue with the ABS or the center diff.

And yes, the Quaife and the ralliart piece are both helical diffs (aka Torsen), so both work exactly the same way, and neither will have any effect on the ABS or center diff operation.

Adam

Last edited by Z1 Performance; Nov 29, 2004 at 01:39 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Z1 Auto Can You Write Down The Installation Or You Can Only Advertice Your Lsd??!
Old Nov 29, 2004, 03:33 PM
Account Disabled

Not sure what you mean - we do not perform the installation of this unit, but we can refer you to one of a few places we have dealt with that have done this installation before. Currently there are 3 places in the US we have dealt with that have the know how to properly install this unit - 2 in the central US (TRE and Sheppard Racing), one on the East Coast (CT)
Old Nov 29, 2004, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Quaife offers lifetime warrenty no matter if you race your car or not, Ralliart offer a warrenty ?
Old Nov 29, 2004, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

If homeland japan Evolutions inserts an lsd up front, then an explaination (not heresay) would be inorder to explain its deletion ( unless mitsu believes we are not performance oriented thus left it out to save cost......hell, we thought the japanese were inferior pilots in WWII...do to thier race...so that kind of reverse thinking wouldnt suprise me at all )

Sorry....Just trying to figure this question out...its the engineer in me coming out lol
Old Nov 29, 2004, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOla_VIRUS
If homeland japan Evolutions inserts an lsd up front, then an explaination (not heresay) would be inorder to explain its deletion ( unless mitsu believes we are not performance oriented thus left it out to save cost......hell, we thought the japanese were inferior pilots in WWII...do to thier race...so that kind of reverse thinking wouldnt suprise me at all )

Sorry....Just trying to figure this question out...its the engineer in me coming out lol
Not all Evos get the front torsen diff. GSRs as a rule do not. Although some do come that way. RSes and RS-IIs do come with torsens. RS did not come with ABS since these were used for rally cars.

Quick Reply: Anyone install a JDM Front LSD?