Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cheap transfer case fix

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2004, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap transfer case fix

For those of you who have broken your front diff (inside the transfer case) while having fun in your evo there is good news. I just had TRE rebuild mine with stronger spider gears. New gears and and install was only 500$. This is a much better and cheaper option that buying a whole (stock) transfer case. I was also very pleased with how fast they are. I shipped my TC to them on friday, they called me on wensday afternoon and told me they had it fixed and it was on its way back to me. It came in that friday and i was driving around that night. Transfer case is perfect, zero noise, as good as new.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

was shipping included with the 500??? very cool
Old Dec 12, 2004, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by soundfx007
For those of you who have broken your front diff (inside the transfer case) while having fun in your evo there is good news. I just had TRE rebuild mine with stronger spider gears. New gears and and install was only 500$. This is a much better and cheaper option that buying a whole (stock) transfer case. I was also very pleased with how fast they are. I shipped my TC to them on friday, they called me on wensday afternoon and told me they had it fixed and it was on its way back to me. It came in that friday and i was driving around that night. Transfer case is perfect, zero noise, as good as new.
That sounds great as I'm in the market for a new front diff. Do you know what they do to strengthen the spider gears? Or they strengthened stock gears or after market gears? Thanks.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

John is the man, he has been helping the DSM community for years. This is Good News for us Evo owners.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

cool
Old Dec 12, 2004, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah. I'm curious what they do/replace to strengthen in the spider gears? I'm also curious how do you manage to F____ up a front diff/transfer case?
Old Dec 12, 2004, 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

how much does the TC weigh? Just curious what shipping on that ***** would be.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Where is TRE located???
Old Dec 13, 2004, 09:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Monkey
Its about 60 pounds.. I have a spare in my garage.. upgraded spider gears are great, but what about bearings and shims? I have to assume they replaced those and setup the gear mesh too? Some TC's are too tight and whine, others are too loose and clunk..
Old Dec 13, 2004, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I just wish he had cores.. Having to have my car down for that amount of time is the only thing holding me back from sending out my Tranny/tc..
Old Dec 13, 2004, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

TRE is located in kalamazoo in MI. teamrip.com

Anyone know if TRE can remove the TC and then work on it. I like to drive the car there instead of shipping the TC.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaGuL
Yeah. I'm curious what they do/replace to strengthen in the spider gears? I'm also curious how do you manage to F____ up a front diff/transfer case?
They replace the spider gears with stronger gears, that's what makes them stronger, since they're new stronger gears. ("I just had TRE rebuild mine with stronger spider gears. New gears and and install was only 500$")

You break your TC by being too agressive with launches or by inducing wheel hop. Wheel hop rapidly loads and unloads the gears and this high stress cyclic loading is what causes the gears to break.

EDIT: Fixed Typos

Last edited by SuperHatch; Dec 13, 2004 at 10:14 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by SuperHatch
The replace the spider gears with stronger gears, that's whht makes them stronger, since they're new stronger gears. ("I just had TRE rebuild mine with stronger spider gears. New gears and and install was only 500$")

You break your TC by being too agressive with launches or by inducing wheel hop. Wheel hop rapidly loads and unloads the gears and this high stress cyclic loading is what causes the gears to break.
sorry to quote,
maybe you guys laugh on my question, but what is "wheel hop" is? is that change the wheels with larger diameter?
Sorry because i'm from another country that english are not the day to day language. Thanks a lot for every input.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Wheel hop is when your tires spin -> get traction -> spin -> get traction ->spin..... over and over. This happens very rapidly, and sometimes the tires even bounce off the ground. It usually happens when launching the car, but some high HP (very high HP) cars can do this when shifting into second gear.

- Steve
Old Dec 13, 2004, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Monkey
It weighed around 65#s and i think i paid about 25$ from my location shipping via DHL aka airborne express aka office max. The 500$ was plus shipping. It was bout 40$ to ship it back.

Quick Reply: Cheap transfer case fix