Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

5th gear grind is back 1 month after the dealer fixed it!!!

Old Dec 29, 2004, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5th gear grind is back 1 month after the dealer fixed it!!!

I may be in a lot of trouble here. 2,000 miles ago and one month back I had the 5th gear syncro problem fixed on my car... it was running after and I thought my car was finished and in good shape. Then about a week ago it returned... The dreaded 5th gear grind is now back and getting really bad. I went to my dealer and spent an hour talking with the owner about what we could do. The problem is that to have anything done under warenty we would need to have the regional rep come in and look at my car and determine if mitsubishi would cover this. I think we all know what will happen if he looks at my car. The owner of my local dealer swears that he knows the rep and the rep is very fair and would make fair decision. For now we switched the car to synthetic fluid which made all other gears smooth as butter, but 5th grinds just the same...

So I'm really scared that I'm going to be spending $2,000 out of pocket to fix something that will just come back again in one month another time.

any help / advice would be great!

thanks.

A good reply from evo-ny:

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
When they did the repair the first time, they probably used the revision parts, but didn't repair the gear selector after replacing the synchro, shaft, and collar..

I have a problem with my tranny that the 5th gear synchro problem was repaired very eary on, but they never replaced the selectors, and one was damage (the fork was bent slightly) which made it difficult to get from 5th to 3rd on a downshift.. My guess is that selector fork should have been replaced on yours, and because they didn't replace it, it damaged the synchro again.. Either that or you horribly missed a shift into 5th gear (Since it only takes one missed shift into 5th gear to get that grind.. I saw two cars have that happen)

Also, low fluid level could also be your problem..

IF you've only put a small amount of mileage on the car since it was repaired, it should still be covered under the same warranty claim and they should be able to do it for you.. But don't worry about the mods.. just bite the bullet and bring it in.. If you have a good relationship with the dealer, and they know a modified car isn't abused, they will gladly honor it..

ASK THEM IF THEY REPLACED THE SELECTOR FORKS WHEN THE TRANNY WAS REPAIRED.. If they did not, that should put the ball in their court and they should feel its necessary for them to fix it right.
So as of now my dealer is waiting to talk with the regional rep when he gets back to work next week.

If you've had the syncros replaced more than one please reply..
Old Dec 29, 2004, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by theblue
I may be in a lot of trouble here. 2,000 miles ago and one month back I had the 5th gear syncro problem fixed on my car... it was running after and I thought my car was finished and in good shape. Then about a week ago it returned... The dreaded 5th gear grind is now back and getting really bad. I went to my dealer and spent an hour talking with the owner about what we could do. The problem is that to have anything done under warenty we would need to have the regional rep come in and look at my car and determine if mitsubishi would cover this. I think we all know what will happen if he looks at my car. The owner of my local dealer swears that he knows the rep and the rep is very fair and would make fair decision. For now we switched the car to synthetic fluid which made all other gears smooth as butter, but 5th grinds just the same...

So I'm really scared that I'm going to be spending $2,000 out of pocket to fix something that will just come back again in one month another time.

any help / advice would be great!

thanks.

A good reply from evo-ny:

So as of now my dealer is waiting to talk with the regional rep when he gets back to work next week.

If you've had the syncros replaced more than one please reply..
You're in luck!
In fact...my persistency combined with the excellent cooperation from my local dealer (Fresno ) is the reason that the TSB has been revised.

I had to jump through the same hoops as you did. The tech line's initial response was to put a friction modifier in the tranny...in hopes that would 'fix' it.

When exactly did you have this done? The TSB just got revised about 2 weeks ago. You should be eligible to have this re-covered under warranty. My exact grind wasn't in 5th, but reverse. From what I understand, the 5th and reverse sychro is shared.

After multiple 'band aids' from the Mitsu Tech line, they finally ended up dropping the tranny again and re-doing the TSB, but also replacing another spring or something that was causing the problem. I'm at work right now, but the service record printout is at home. I'll dig it up and scan it in tomorrow for you. That way you can take it down as hard evidence that the initial TSB was flawed and they need to redo it without any other approvals necessary.

Actually, you could probably even go down there and tell them to look up the TSB again. The revised one should be in the system now... or I imagine that the initial one would have some type of note referencing the new one. Let me know what you find out.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

excelent! I await your scan.... since evoM is blocked at my office please also email the scan to me at aaron.bluestone@usa.xerox.com

thanks!

the work they did on my car was to replace 4th gear, 5th gear, and both syncros with the "newly designed" ones - this was a month ago.

Last edited by theblue; Dec 29, 2004 at 05:52 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 06:32 PM

My 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd are kinda sticky. When the clutch is partially engaged during downshifts it makes a chattering whiney noise. Also when reversing, there is a metallic clunk as if u joints are loose. The problem is that its coming from the front. Anyway, can someone give me some helpful info. I'm also going to look into that TSB. Any info would be greatfully appreciated.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by awdevoVIII
My 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd are kinda sticky. When the clutch is partially engaged during downshifts it makes a chattering whiney noise. Also when reversing, there is a metallic clunk as if u joints are loose. The problem is that its coming from the front. Anyway, can someone give me some helpful info. I'm also going to look into that TSB. Any info would be greatfully appreciated.
transfer case + low gear syncros? not to be rude, but the combination sounds like what would happen on a car that has been launched a bunch of times / abused. Again, sorry if this is not the case, but this would have nothing to do with the 5th gear TSB.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by theblue
excelent! I await your scan.... since evoM is blocked at my office please also email the scan to me at aaron.bluestone@usa.xerox.com

thanks!

the work they did on my car was to replace 4th gear, 5th gear, and both syncros with the "newly designed" ones - this was a month ago.
The new TSB number is 04-22-003REV. Email w/ scan has been sent!
Old Jan 3, 2005, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

i had the 5th grind at 6k drove the car to 10k and the dealer rebuilt my tranny almost the whole tranny then 2months later 4 and 5th started grinding again i went back to dealership and had it out with them and requested a new tranny well mitsu approved it and they put in a new tranny and a new stock clutch and told me it should be fine but it has been sticky for a while everthing seems to be going good for now but remember their is a lemon law in all states mine in nc said the three or four times they have to buy the car back or get me a new car so guys watch out for these *******s they will try to scew you if you have a after market clutch installed if you have any questions feel free to email at kavenger97@aol.com
Old Jan 3, 2005, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blowoffsilver
i had the 5th grind at 6k drove the car to 10k and the dealer rebuilt my tranny almost the whole tranny then 2months later 4 and 5th started grinding again i went back to dealership and had it out with them and requested a new tranny well mitsu approved it and they put in a new tranny and a new stock clutch and told me it should be fine but it has been sticky for a while everthing seems to be going good for now but remember their is a lemon law in all states mine in nc said the three or four times they have to buy the car back or get me a new car so guys watch out for these *******s they will try to scew you if you have a after market clutch installed if you have any questions feel free to email at kavenger97@aol.com
this is what I like to hear...
is there any rep. or contact I can talk to about this... I need whatever help you can give me to get my dealer to do the same for me... please help
Old Jan 3, 2005, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

i would go into the dealer and tell them u want the customer service line explain in great detail what is going on with your car and tell them this will be your third time in for the same thing and tell them you want a new trans and tell them you know somebody else with the same problem and he got a new trans but you dont need to be real rude or hostile but be forceing the issue that this is your third time for the same problem and they should react with a positive attiude because their is a lemon law u know but i had alot of mods done when my car went to the dealer lik intake,dynoflash,fmic,full exhaust with stock cat, turbo timer, boost gauge, walbro 255, a custom grounding kit and they didnt say a word about my mods so i think if you give them enough greive they will install a new tranny because their is laws protecting u
Old Jan 3, 2005, 03:21 PM

Hey man,
Be careful, and if you have any mods that the dealership doesn't know about, take them off before bringing it back. I had the same 5th gear grind on my Evo, I had the original clutch and 24k on the car. The Service Manager told me the Rep had to OK the repair via warranty. The dealership knew I had a boost controller, and blow off valve on my car, and said this would limit my warranty on my motor, I understood that and accepted it.

To shorten the story, the end result was, I had to pay about $3000 out of pocket, because of hot spots on my flywheel. My car was a demo and I never raced it.

I went through arbitration and that was a total joke. I paid $1000 for an attorney, and the findings were that the Service Manager told me that my Warranty was limited so I accepted it, and I should have paid for it. Nothing about the Magnusen/Moss Act. It was a total waste of time. If you go through this, get a attorney afterwords, when you really have to go to court!

Cover all bases first prior ro them tearing your car down. Shepard does great jobs on our tranny, try him!
Old Jan 3, 2005, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

ive seen a dealership service manual getting rewrited because it had the wrong syncro going' into to 5th gear i saw this on alldata
Old Jan 4, 2005, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

its really 4th and 5th syncros that are bad they just rewrite it because of people coming back in for the same problem so now their fixing both of them i have two more friends that are having theirs fix at the same dealer this month
Old Jan 7, 2005, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

UPDATE:

I've been fighting with them and today they gave me the final word on what will happen. They refuse to fix my 5th gear grind again without Bob Desimone, the regional guy looking at the car on Jan 17th.

I asked them what they expected him to look at... maybe the transimssion has a window so you can see inside and figure out what is wrong????

so I guess he is going to look for mods and will just tell me that it must be something I changed that caused the 5th gear syncro to die.

then I get to eat the $2000+ bill to fix it a second time... IF THAT EVEN FIXES IT???? so I could find myself doing this a whole bunch of times.

I've spoken to mitsu customer relations and they refuse to do anything other than just have their guy inspect my car for mods...
Old Jan 9, 2005, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

blue just email me at kavenger97@aol.com i want to talk to you about this over the phone i think i can help
Old Jan 9, 2005, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blowoffsilver
blue just email me at kavenger97@aol.com i want to talk to you about this over the phone i think i can help
email sent.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5th gear grind is back 1 month after the dealer fixed it!!!