Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil leak....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2005, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did you get it figured out?
Old Mar 16, 2005, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ i hate when someone posts problems and never tell us their solutions or anything else for that matter lol
Old Mar 16, 2005, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah...there is a seal where the drive shaft goes into the snout of the transfer case. It must have been damaged when they put the shaft back it. Looking at it, there looked to be nothing wrong with it, but when it was replaced the oil leak stopped.

Sorry....forgot all about this thread. No one asked for a update.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Corey
Yeah...there is a seal where the drive shaft goes into the snout of the transfer case. It must have been damaged when they put the shaft back it. Looking at it, there looked to be nothing wrong with it, but when it was replaced the oil leak stopped.

Sorry....forgot all about this thread. No one asked for a update.
sweet i was just curious...I did a clutch install this weekend, and the mini o-ring above the one you are talking about was broke on mine, we tried to repair it with "the right stuff" and stuck it back to the transmission side before we slide the transfer case back. Hopefully it stayed and is doing OK, otherwise i may have to buy a new little o-ring and take transfer case back off and slap a new o ring on. It wouldnt be tooo big of a deal , just pulling the axles, the output shaft, and the 6 t-case bolts, but i wouldnt want to do it if it is fine. Right now I have a peice of cardboard under my car under the whole engine bay to inspect for leaks. (yes i just got home from driving).
Old Mar 16, 2005, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Cool...I had some cardboard on my garage floor for about month just to make sure. Good luck.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 09:26 PM
Account Disabled

This may turn into a BIG dispute. I mean the guys will now deny all claims, especially if your tranny takes a crap.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Corey
The more I look at where the oil is on the floor and on my car I think it's coming from the transfer case wehre the drive shaft goes into it. The way it's slinging under the car is side to side. If it was a axle I would think it would sling from front to back if I'm not mistaken.
hey Corey, sorry to hear about the problem. it sounds like the transfer case is leaking at the yolk. this is a cuplike part that connects the tc to the drive shaft. this is a common place for the T.C. to leak on 3000gt vr-4/stealth tt and older dsms. it is very possible, and likely it was damaged when reinstalling. alot of "finnessing" is needed to get it back in place. my old stealth leaked here, and my T.C. locked up on the natcher parkway... MAKE SURE TO CHECK YOUR FLUID LEVEL IMMEDIATLY!.

-Andy
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by umiami80
This may turn into a BIG dispute. I mean the guys will now deny all claims, especially if your tranny takes a crap.

Why would it turn into a BIG dispute? My dealer knows I have a new clutch in it. I just took it in for some drivetrain noise and everything checked out okay and the manager documented EVERYTHING and told me I had nothing to worry about. I didn't realize our cars have a 5/60,000 mile powertrain warrenty. At least that is what the manager told me.

The bottom of the car was put on a lift and throughly cleaned of all the oil that was under it so there is no traces of it actually leaking.

Andy...this was done back in Jan. and the problem was resolved about week later. All the fluids were checked and my TC was a bit low the day I broght it back in cause of the leak. He refilled the TC (no metal shavings in the plug) and ordered the part while I didn't drive my car hardly at all til it came in. All is good now.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 05:55 AM
Account Disabled

Oh, I did not know you brought to the dealer and you replaced it with a stock clutch?

I was thinking you went to some guy and he did it, and then you said your tranny was making NOISE so I figured you blew it. But your situation seems ok, just make sure you keep an eye on that tranny, I would be worried....
Old Mar 17, 2005, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by umiami80
Oh, I did not know you brought to the dealer and you replaced it with a stock clutch?

I was thinking you went to some guy and he did it, and then you said your tranny was making NOISE so I figured you blew it. But your situation seems ok, just make sure you keep an eye on that tranny, I would be worried....

I did have a shop replace my clutch. I just had my car in the dealer Monday to have some drivetrain noises checked out before my car went out of warrenty. I have like 50 miles left now. The noise I"m having is coming from the rear so it rules anything out that was done to while the clutch was being installed. Everything checked out okay, documented, and the manager told me if something was to happen I'd be taken care of.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So the trasfer case looses all of its fluid if the o-ring between the thwo is gone, or the tranny looses its fluid? It sounds like the transfer case would dump, but would the tranmission loose some too since it sounds like the transmission fluid over-runs into the transfer case??

OK, after reading this again, if the o-ring were gone, the transmission would loose fluid. If the axle seals were damaged, the tranfer case fluid would leak. Right?

Last edited by USP45; Mar 17, 2005 at 11:33 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

As far as I know, the only thing that was leaking and showing signs of leaking was the TC. Its a little seal that goes in the snout of the TC. My TC still had oil in it after driving. It was never totally empty.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

Anybody still getting transmission oil leaks.I was at a shop today and noticed 3 evos that had oil leaks at the driver side axle.All the evos had quaife diffs installed.Could this be related to the oil circuit or orings.

Last edited by 3deep; Feb 25, 2006 at 07:22 PM.
Old May 3, 2006, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by 3deep
Anybody still getting transmission oil leaks.I was at a shop today and noticed 3 evos that had oil leaks at the driver side axle.All the evos had quaife diffs installed.Could this be related to the oil circuit or orings.

I've got the same problem with my quaife diff and driver side axle. Anybody have a fix for this?
Old Jul 25, 2011, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by USP45
OK, after reading this again, if the o-ring were gone, the transmission would loose fluid. If the axle seals were damaged, the tranfer case fluid would leak. Right?
My car is in the shop getting the clutch replaced and the shop says I have some tranny issues. Apparently my MR transmission has been rebuilt, it is leaking fluid The transfer case as well was low on fluid and had some sort of gasket maker on the seal. The car runs fine. Does this sound like an easy seal replacement?