Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tranny Problems Help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2005, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny Problems Help!!!!!

I had my tranny fluid changed last week and then this past Monday on the way to Miami from Naples my car started whining. I thought it was the transfer case, but the Mitsu rep that came down said it was the tranny.

People with tranny problems please give me your experience with what was wrong with your car.

I just don;t want to get the car back and still have the problem because it was the transfer case.

Thanks

Marc
Old May 25, 2005, 06:38 PM
Account Disabled

Dont want to scare you but here is what happened to me,just pulling out of a parking space at a rest area,and no,there was no clutch dump,nothing,just backed out of parking space,rolled about 10' forward and BANG,shifter wouldn't move and neither would the car
Old May 25, 2005, 06:39 PM
Account Disabled

Another picture
Old May 25, 2005, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Its probably the Throw out bearing.. got a lil moisture in there it should go away .. mine did.
Old May 25, 2005, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

DAAAAMN!!! what happened? did you have to buy a new tranny or was what rebuildable?
Old May 25, 2005, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ouch, that's gonna leave a mark.
Old May 25, 2005, 06:55 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Compjoc
DAAAAMN!!! what happened? did you have to buy a new tranny or was what rebuildable?
Yea,it was rebuildable,with a heli-arc welder,J/K.
Dont really know why it happened,for no apparent reason,WTF? Never got tranny back from dealer as to disassemble to find out why it happened.Always had problems with that trans,from day 1.Maybe a poor case casting,not sure,but always had problems with it,noise,ect....Now with the new trans,no problem,not 1,no noises,no missed gears,no grinding 2nd or 5th,nothing,perfect.

Last edited by turboDan; Mar 22, 2006 at 07:35 AM.
Old May 25, 2005, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know what happened.
2 gears at once. You probably broke a shift fork or the shift controls screwed up.
Apply 2 gears in a manual and nothing spins but the torque applied to the input shaft, something has to give so it pushes the shafts right out the case as it tries to climb the helical gear.
I have seen FWD automatics do this same thing when the clutches don't disengage for 1 gear but another is applied.
Old May 25, 2005, 07:10 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by timzcat
I know what happened.
2 gears at once. You probably broke a shift fork or the shift controls screwed up.
Apply 2 gears in a manual and nothing spins but the torque applied to the input shaft, something has to give so it pushes the shafts right out the case as it tries to climb the helical gear.
I have seen FWD automatics do this same thing when the clutches don't disengage for 1 gear but another is applied.
You have a good point about the broken shift fork theory,I just wish that the dealer gets the ok to scrap it as I have a good friend in parts(aka,The parts manager)and says I can have it once he gets the ok to scrap it as it has been a few months and they haven't called for it.I just want to see what happened inside so I can access what happened.Shift linkage was fine all the way up to the trans,including everything bolted outside of trans,but very possibly a fork broke inside as the shifter would not move.BTW,diff was fine as were the spiders,all intact,every one,nothing broke inside it as you have a nice window to view it from.
Old May 26, 2005, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
looks like someone threw a grenade in your trans!