Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is it redundant to use race gas AND Alky?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2005, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Is it redundant to use race gas AND Alky?

I will be getting my car Dynoed at Dyno4mance July 2nd, and have the AMS ALKY kit installed, and would like your help again. Would dynoing the car with race gas and the alky kit be redundant, is there any HP gain in using BOTH? Or does the Alky kit eliminate the need to use the race-gas? any input would be benificial. Thanks in Advance,
Kevin
Old Jun 26, 2005, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you will only need one. have it tuned for one or the other but not both. whenb will you be at Andrews shop. my car is their now.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Toddevo 8
you will only need one. have it tuned for one or the other but not both. whenb will you be at Andrews shop. my car is their now.
Thanks Toddevo8, that helps out me and my wallet, I will be there and "strapped-down" next Saturday July 2nd! Are you in for a tune or mods? stop by if you live near-by!
Old Jun 26, 2005, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

i think there is some extra power to be had, but its not significant.....ESPECIALLY on the stock turbo.

upgrade the turbo and there is DEF more power to be had
Old Jun 26, 2005, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

is the TME a stock turbo? I know it is NOT an upgraded one but a lateral move, slightly better than stock. same thing applies?
Old Jun 26, 2005, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

I am having Andrew put in the 280 cams and them put the new turbo on. so I will be their next week end.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Toddevo 8
I am having Andrew put in the 280 cams and them put the new turbo on. so I will be their next week end.
Great! I will see you there, it appears as if we will have the same set-up. are you going with the TME, or are you upgrading from a TME turbo?
Old Jun 26, 2005, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

It can help to run meth on top of race gas. It hads a very useful cooling effect that race gas does not. Usually worth several HPs from what i've seen.

shiv
Old Jun 26, 2005, 09:27 AM

I Would Definately Tune With Whatever Pump Gas You Will Primarily Run With The Alcohol.

As A Safe Guard, Especially When Racing You Can Run Some Race Gas In Addition To The Alcohol. Safety Is Alway Best. Like Everything Else Electronic Or Mechanical, You Never Know When, There Is The Slight Chance Of Something Malfunctioning. Plus You Have To Keep An Eye On The Fluid Level Light.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by vividevoVIII
I Would Definately Tune With Whatever Pump Gas You Will Primarily Run With The Alcohol.

As A Safe Guard, Especially When Racing You Can Run Some Race Gas In Addition To The Alcohol. Safety Is Alway Best. Like Everything Else Electronic Or Mechanical, You Never Know When, There Is The Slight Chance Of Something Malfunctioning. Plus You Have To Keep An Eye On The Fluid Level Light.
Couldn't of said it better.. Well I could of with less caps but you know
Old Jun 26, 2005, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
It can help to run meth on top of race gas. It hads a very useful cooling effect that race gas does not. Usually worth several HPs from what i've seen.

shiv
Hey Shiv, YOU answered one of my posts?!!!!!!!!! GREAT! I sure am glad I got new batteries for my pacemaker yesterday, or I would be it full cardiac arrest!

Here is a question for you or anyone else who may know.
In July of last year (chicago) you dynoed a race map for me on 110 Leaded. so when I ran the race map, it had to have that gas in the car. should I dyno the car now with the Meth and the 109 Unleaded (from VP race fuels)? or just dyno it on Methanol alone and ADD the 109 after the dyno? what is your take on this? Shiv, I will be in the GA area on July 2nd, so will get the car tuned at Dyno4mance with Andrew, so I will post, or he will, what gains are to be had! Thanks for answering!
Old Jun 26, 2005, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

the biggest advantage of the alcohol injection is getting to run a "race gas" like tune with only pump gas....this way, if you are riding around on wednesday afternooon and you feel like stompin some *** on the interstate, you have most all of your power available to you....instead of having to dump in race gas to be fast.

if i were doing it(which i will be tuning my alky shortly...) i would tune with 93 and alky, once done with that...i would consider dumping in some race gas and tuning on the alky and race gas....for those track days that i might want a few extra ponies....but, your most important tune should be your 93/alky tune....especially if you drive your car everyday.

my .02
Old Jun 26, 2005, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsujeff55
the biggest advantage of the alcohol injection is getting to run a "race gas" like tune with only pump gas....this way, if you are riding around on wednesday afternooon and you feel like stompin some *** on the interstate, you have most all of your power available to you....instead of having to dump in race gas to be fast.

if i were doing it(which i will be tuning my alky shortly...) i would tune with 93 and alky, once done with that...i would consider dumping in some race gas and tuning on the alky and race gas....for those track days that i might want a few extra ponies....but, your most important tune should be your 93/alky tune....especially if you drive your car everyday.

my .02
Thanks, and well said! Are you comming to Dyno4mance on July 2nd also? Might have an "alcoholic" eerrrrrrrrrrrrr...........alky tuning day down there!
Old Jun 26, 2005, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

i wish, my stock clutch finally took a dump so i have to get one here and get it put in before i can go to dyno4mance.....bad timing i guess

maybe i can get your xede maps though! so i have something to try out until i can get there??????
Old Jun 26, 2005, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Like they stated... Alchy makes it much less prone to knock simply put. Racegas does as well... they both do it in two different ways but none the less that is the outcome. Straight C16 or VP Import would be better. I would guess the alchy is close to 110 range of octane but I dont really know. If I were you I would get a pump only map, pump +Alchy and a C16 Map. That way if you run out of all of it your car isnt a complete dog, and you have a race setting for the track.