Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Realistic Limits....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2002, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Realistic Limits....

I'm thinking of buying a lancer evo vii when it makes it here to the states. However, I'm curious as to the limits of the engine and drivetrain of the car.

Does anyone have any experiance on what you can realistically do to the engine of the car without having to replace elements of the drivetrain. I'd love to be able to push 330-350hp out of the engine, but I'm not sure if something like that would eat the tranny and associated components up.

In addition, has anyone attempted to add a second turbo? If so, I'd love to hear how much it cost you in money, aggravation, and drivability.

By the way, I'm not too familiar with the import scene. I'm much more familiar with chevy big blocks (454s are fun) and so am a little used to having a broad range of possible horsepower.
Old Jan 23, 2002, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Well, 350 bhp is no probelm at all for the transmission, at least on a 6, but so far it doesn't look like it's a problem for the 7 either. The 6 can take up to 400 bhp with a different clutch quite easily, above that it depends how you drive it I suppose. The second turbo idea is something which I think I saw in a Japanese mag once, although I'm not too sure. anyway both turbos would have to actuator types, cause otherwise I think there will be space problems. The manifold would have to be custom-made too. If I had unlimited funds, I'd definetely build a twin-turbo Lancer...
Old Feb 24, 2002, 11:10 PM

check this....

go to http://www.itsaveryfastworld.com (sure, its a type r on the front page, but go inside!) and look at the packages they sell. These are being sold as reliable, warrented new cars. If the company is going to back it up with that kind of power, how much can we get without worrying about reselling it?
Old Mar 4, 2002, 03:23 AM

You can definately have a twin-turbo VR-4 engine fitted. I've seen that done and I know people have done twin-turbo upgrades for the WRX STi5. So a twin-turbo 4G63 is almost certainly possible.