Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

valve adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2005, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
valve adjustment?

hi every one i got my cams (HKS 272-272) put in a while ago and ive always had a weird ticking from a cold start. i was talking to the guy that did them and he said that he bleed the lifters and that its normal. i then talked to my friends and they told me that my valves need to be adjusted to compensate for the higher lift. is this true or were the lifters not bleed correctly. just trying to make sure my **** is ok
Old Aug 28, 2005, 12:44 AM
Evolved Member

It's normal during cold starts, but it should go away after the car reachs operating temp. You can't adjust the valves on your evo.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

the cam profile on the HKS 272's is more prone to valvetrain noise...... as long as you have good oil and everything is installed correctly I wouldnt worry
Old Aug 28, 2005, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

cool i always just trying to make sure i keep up with proventive maint.. the noise does go away once temp.. goes up but i just wanted to make sure i wasnt hurting anything that could bite me in the *** later. thanks once again
Old Aug 28, 2005, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Easy way to check the lash adjusters is to pop the cam cover off and try to push each on down. If you can then it is bad. Your most likely area of failure will be on the intake cam.

I don't agree with the belief that the HKS cam profile causes the ticking noise because there are many people out there that properly bled thier lifters and they have no noise issues. The lash adjuster is there to prevent the noise.