Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

clutch vs friction plate....

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2005, 09:09 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch vs friction plate....

Ok so my clutch went out. I only have the basic bolt ons, but go to teh track bi-weekly. Now my question is this. Can I get away with losing the restrictor pill putting in an ACT 6 puck friction plate and keeping the stock PP until I change to a triple plate in FEB? I say FEb because I plan to upgrade the turbo etc around FEB...
Old Nov 13, 2005, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have ACT 6 pucks, and i loves it.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 09:19 PM
Account Disabled

But do you have it with the stock Pressure plate?
Old Nov 13, 2005, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would not recommend doing that for a number of reasons.
OEM pressure plate is worn and probably not in spec anymore.
ACT pressure plate for the 6 puck is design for it.

Number one reason though is why go through all the work to have to do it all over again if you can not get away with it and have problems? I think ACTman will tell you not to do it.
They probably change the stops based on the clutch the PP is going to mate to.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 09:46 PM
Account Disabled

I understand and see all your points. I just really didn't want to drop te 500$$ to get a HDSS from ACT just to turn around in Feb and get a twin plate. Oh well parts break...then your bank account breaks...and then the car runs again....
Old Nov 13, 2005, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Why not just drop the extra now and get the twin plate?
Also, if you are doing a turbo in February then I will assume you have another driver so realisitically you could take the car off the road now and get started on the tear down, assuming you are building up the engine for this turbo.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 10:42 PM
Former Sponsor

The puck will work fine with the stock pressure plate, but you are getting the worst of both worlds; only moderate increase in torque capacity (about 30%) and harsh engagement. No comment on the triple plate, but good luck in Feb. with it.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 06:53 AM
Account Disabled

Well I can't do the triple now because of cash restriction. I am getting an 1100 a month raise in Jan. The turbo build will be done while I'm on leave and I will probably pick up a cycle to ride.

ACT man thanks for your help, I guess I am going to bite the bullet and just get a MB7-HDSS clutch kit.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ACTman
No comment on the triple plate, but good luck in Feb. with it.
What are you implying. that he is not going to have any luck with the triple plate or twin plate? Maybe he should stick with your product that so he can deal with all he lockout issues.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 08:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by timzcat
What are you implying. that he is not going to have any luck with the triple plate or twin plate? Maybe he should stick with your product that so he can deal with all he lockout issues.
To answer your question, NO. And I said I wouldn't comment on it, but it sounds like you want me to anyway. I am not implying anything about bad luck or that it won't work. I am not trying to bash anyone's product. It is just that if our single disc $600 clutch can be reliable on Jeff Hill's 9 second EVO, I find it difficult to justify spending that kind of money and putting up with the other tradeoffs (depending on brand). Every clutch has tradeoffs of one kind or another. For what those tradeoffs might be, do a search.

I guess you are one of those people who like to listen to and help spread rumors rather than find the answers. "All the lockout issues" are not as common as you might think and for the most part adjustment issues have been found as the cause, not the clutch parts. There have been more than a few people who have come back and publicly on this forum and withdrew their complaints about high rpm lockout and our clutch.

And others who have complaints about the Exedy twin and other clutches doing the same thing. This is because it has little to do with the clutch and more to do with adjustment. Since our clutch is a popular item and it requires a little more adjustment than some and there have been negative threads on the subject, we have fallen victim to the rumor mill.

Just because you read something in the Enquirer doesn't make it true! Obviously you (our most esteemed super mod) felt the need to bash our product though... Thanks so much!
Old Nov 14, 2005, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black. You bash on the twins or triples by saying good luck with it but can't it in return. It's ironic that you would bash on the very same company that you source your parts from.

I don't care who ran what on your clutch, my concern is that a number of our members have the ACT and had a problem with it. The big thread itself grew for the longest time without any response from the "esteemed" President of ACT clutch.
When you did respond you published a paper on clutch operation which was nothing but theory and operation and did nothing but tell them to adjust thier clutch. This has worked for some but I believe in time they will be back again with the same issue, only time will tell.

Don't get angry with me because ACT gave itself a black eye. You could have avoided all the bad press if you had delt with the problem sooner.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by timzcat
If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black. You bash on the twins or triples by saying good luck with it but can't it in return. It's ironic that you would bash on the very same company that you source your parts from.

I don't care who ran what on your clutch, my concern is that a number of our members have the ACT and had a problem with it. The big thread itself grew for the longest time without any response from the "esteemed" President of ACT clutch.
When you did respond you published a paper on clutch operation which was nothing but theory and operation and did nothing but tell them to adjust thier clutch. This has worked for some but I believe in time they will be back again with the same issue, only time will tell.

Don't get angry with me because ACT gave itself a black eye. You could have avoided all the bad press if you had delt with the problem sooner.
LOL. I wish we could have this conversation over coffee or something. You totally took my comment to the author wrong. I now see why you were "ACTing out". I was being totally sincere with akunochi when I said good luck. I had to go back and see why you would take it as a bash on anyone. I was really trying to send a "fairwell and best wishes" message, as he is moving on to another product. But I usually wouldn't use those words in casual conversation. I can see how you took it that way though. The "no comment" comment was more of a feeling of discust that he didn't have faith in our product, than a bash on anyone else.

Your statement "It's ironic that you would bash on the very same company that you source your parts from" is funny too because I wasn't bashing on them at all. You are reading way too much into my statements. He didn't indicate which product he was considering. I said that there are tradeoffs to every design. What, is that not true? Is that bashing? BTW, that includes ours!

Regarding the long thread: That was about thread number 20 regarding clutch adjustment that I have seen, so I left it alone for some time hoping Warrtalon would listen to other people who posted and call us or something. But after 10 days of him complaining and others speculating, I jumped in. The "black eye" came from the customer, not me. Am I required to do customer service over the forum now? Customer service isn't even my job really. I think I do more than my part here though. This is because I enjoy it. You don't see a lot of other people in my position spending time on the forum. But there is a limit to my time too.

I made that long page you spoke of so that we could refer to it later and hopefully expand on it since I kept getting the same questions over and over. And yes, it is about engineering theory, because that is what counts, not speculation over nonsense. I am sorry it doesn't meet your standards.

If there is a problem then there is a reason for it. It wasn't meant to provide answers, but where to look for answers. I spoke in general terms in the page I made because there are several problems that have occured on the EVO and each has to be diagnosed and I am sure there will be new problems to deal with later. It is not just about the clutch. Come on now, you and I both have read all sorts of posts of shifting problems, syncro problems, tranny problems, linkage issues, release bearing issues, oil debates, etc.

Last edited by ACTman; Nov 14, 2005 at 10:59 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, I don't nearly have a response that long.

I didn't have a problem with what you had published because it was informative. BUT (and I will probably get flamed for this) for a good portion of the people on this site, it did not help them because many don't have the technical background to understand everything in it and many were simply looking for the "do this" answer.

I see your point of view, no one on this forum searches half the time. I think I was a little suprised because you guys were starting to get a lot of bad comments in that thread and you were not getting involved to put a stop to it. I think from history everyone expected more, sooner. See what happens when try to help everyone, you only have to try harder and harder to meet thier expectations. :LOL:
I agree there are certainly other issues that may be the root of the problem. For example, everyone things thier blend or brand of fluid is better instead of listening to the people like TRE who know best. I have an 03 so I think probably 90% of all the TSBs apply to it but somehow I don't have any problems. I think a lot of problems stem from the constant messing with fluid types, etc.

I hope that adjustment is/was the basis for all the issues with lockout. ACT offers a well priced option for those people who do not want to or can not jump into something like a twin disk.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 02:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks for understanding. I think you will find that I generally don't take the opportunity afforded me to bash anyone else's product. I can't say I never have. I may have had moments of weakness, but it is pretty rare. Sorry to take up the bandwidth and causing any misunderstanding.

Fairwell and best wishes!
Old Nov 14, 2005, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow this is one of the biggest misunderstanding turn into flame fest, I have read in a while ...