Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

20G Turbo upgrade on Evo 8 possible now?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2003, 01:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
20G Turbo upgrade on Evo 8 possible now?

I was wondering if a 20G Turbo will be able to propel the Evo 8 into the low 11's high 10's?
Old Mar 24, 2003, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would think if you spend enough on performance upgrades for it, you had better be into the 10s and 11s, but I don't know enough about turbos to say that would do it. My guess is that the turbo system itself is already sufficient and replacing it would prove of little benefit. Rather than that, upgrading the engine internals and drivetrain to handle more power and increasing the turbo's boost seem more likely improvements. Obviously, the typical intake/exhaust upgrades would also be useful too.
-N

Last edited by neilscully; Mar 24, 2003 at 08:58 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 07:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have to agree in part.. However to make more power, you have to move more air.. so its not going to be just a new turbo.. Your talking eliminating restrictions in the entire "Air Pump" So cams, heads, etc.. I think just upgrading the turbo and doing nothing else will introduce more turbo lag, change the torque characteristics which will move it into the higher RPM range, AWD can benifiet most from torque.. Like the previous reply said, ones best first step would be to optimize what is already there, get more air through it by removing restrictions, optimizing cam timing and ECU mapping.. I suspect you can get this car into the 11's with mainly non-intrusive boltons.. I also think this car can get a little help with some better diff gearing, of course doing that will sacrifice drivability and top speed, but if you want a 1/4 mile burner, that could definitely help. Diff gears are probably one of the more expensive upgrades on a car like this, assuming its even an option. From studying the car, and the ECU, there's alot in there for improvement.. Its just how far do you want to go before you start sacrificing drivability and reliability.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I do understand the whole realm of doing the basic bolt-on mods first. I was thinking of a full 3" Turbo back mandrel bent exhaust, test pipe, free flow intake, Boost controller, upgraded fuel pump and injectors, cam gears, ported exhaust housing and manifold, maybe HKS 272/373 cams, upgraded headgasket and valvetrain, and maybe a good tuning ECU like AEM EMS or Power FC.

Add on top of that maybe perhaps headwork and then the 20G turbo kit, dyno tuning could turn this 4-door into a killa
Old Mar 24, 2003, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Well, yes, then... .all that and a 20G turbo above aqnd beyond you ought not have any problems getting the numbers you're looking for and I might even expect your plans are overkill for what you're expecting. If you do all you said and drop the new turbo, you may already be in the 10s and 11s. But hey, if you can afford all that, then the more the better.
-N
Old Mar 24, 2003, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by neilscully
Well, yes, then... .all that and a 20G turbo above aqnd beyond you ought not have any problems getting the numbers you're looking for and I might even expect your plans are overkill for what you're expecting. If you do all you said and drop the new turbo, you may already be in the 10s and 11s. But hey, if you can afford all that, then the more the better.
-N
Yes, thats the extent of modifications I hope to do... but I will try to do as many bolt ons as possible and go fast w/o doing major work like headwork.

My brother owned a 94 GSX that was modded and I own a 95 GSR that has been extensively modded as well.....so I have some ideas/experience as how I would like to upgrade my future Evo.
I'm not sure which 20G turbo, the Buschur Racing 20G kit or the Hahn Racecraft Super 20G turbo would be better?

All I want is a fun daily driver that can hold its own at the track as well as win 99% of stoplight confrontations. If I could achieve great gas milege (on low-boost settings) and be able to run 10.8-10.9 or even low 11's at the track, I'll be a happy camper.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 01:03 AM
Evolved Member

You should have saved yourself 15K and bought a 2G GSX or something. Sticking a 20G in there is going to ruin the EVO's rally balance by adding tremendous lag. It really isnt meant for 1/4 mile shootouts. But hey, to each is own.

As for me, the evo is very well rounded. Modding it without sticking a large new snail in it would probably make me really happy. I figure if 12 sec + 1/4 isnt fast enough for me, i'll just join the air force.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 04:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Coolguy949
I figure if 12 sec + 1/4 isnt fast enough for me, i'll just join the air force.
Trust me, "it" is NEVER fast enough
Old Mar 26, 2003, 05:10 AM
Evolving Member

Why 20G? Why not Garret series, the GT twin ball bearing give great spool times and more power than the 20Gs.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 09:09 AM
SRD
Evolving Member

I believe the turbo on there is sufficient for the motor we have.
Upgrade the turbo, when you start changing the motors internals.

Think with the setup we have, we're good for atleast 340awhp?
Old Mar 26, 2003, 09:16 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by SRD
Think with the setup we have, we're good for atleast 340awhp?
Without question. I don't think that's even beginning to stretch it. The turbo may not be as efficient (I don't have a compressor map handy), but it should handle the extra load without much difficulty.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

A big 16G will do 340 @ the wheels.. but i am not sure it can hit that on 91 pump gas.. or not really sure on 93..

I know DSMS make 300WHP with a big 16G @ 19psi on 93 octane. And i am sure there is more there. That is probably just an average.

And the turbo is efficient up to like 26PSI. so you could always run some race gas..

As for the 20G, people are saying it will not work on the evo motor. but i didnt see why. so i can't tell you more then that.

-Zach
Old Mar 26, 2003, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

I reiterate..How about a drivers school to learn how to HANDLE the car before you add more power to it. I'm sure adding those things mentioned will make the car sail, but can you really handle it? The car has so much more to offer than going straight yet that's all you choose to do. Why? If and it's a big if I were you I'd be looking at getting a set of race brake pads and going to drivers events where you can embarrass the hell outta guys with Porsche's, Bimmers and the like. What's more fun beating some goofy kid with a honda in a 1/4 or dicing it up with some hot shot that spent 60 on his M-3 or 80k on his 911 and actually beating them. Not to mention the failure rate of parts at a drag strip is pretty high vs a road course or autox.

Do what you will, but I think it's a shame to waste such a good car. Let's put it this way if you had the cash to get a 911 would you simply drag race it? Be honest with yourself. Well, the EVO falls in the same category as it's design was not as a drag car, but a vehicle that does everything well.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 11:10 AM

I heard, that some people are already getting 300 to the wheels with simple bolts on such as drop in air filter, exhaust and boost controller,

Try www.ams.com I think they have a kit out for it already, but the thing is they don't have a AWD dyno, so who knows...
Old Mar 26, 2003, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

That ams site doesnt work, its incorrect

Quick Reply: 20G Turbo upgrade on Evo 8 possible now?