Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Whats the difference between the 2005 evo turbo and evo 9 turbo?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2006, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the difference between the 2005 evo turbo and evo 9 turbo?

Whats is the difference between the evo 9 turbo and 2005 evo 8 turbo? is there one?
Old May 2, 2006, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Larger compressor cover as has been said about 100 times.
Old May 2, 2006, 07:32 AM

What did br change on the br 20g-8 to the 20g-9 to stop the surge problems? Becuase im going to buy a 20g-8 and i was wondering if theres any way to change it?
Old May 2, 2006, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

He didn't change anything. 8 means it's based off a stock 8 turbo and 9 means it's based off a stock 9 turbo.

Do not buy the 20g-8; get the 20g-9-5 only.
Old May 2, 2006, 07:44 AM

The 20g-9 ill need to buy an install kit and everything though i dont really have the money for all that..
Old May 2, 2006, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

i would wait then i really never heard anything great about the 20g8
Old May 2, 2006, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

If you don't have enough for a basic install kit, then you shouldn't be upgrading your turbo anyway. Read the other threads where people have installed the 20g-9 without the new lines.
Old May 2, 2006, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

there have been decent power gains on the 8 as well if set up properly. Al still seems to like it as well... it might not be as nice as the 9 but i made decent power off it and didnt surge all that much for me.

PJ
Old May 2, 2006, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

I liked the TME i have it worked well for me and felt a difference up in the top end...
Old May 2, 2006, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Evolution8Blue
The 20g-9 ill need to buy an install kit and everything though i dont really have the money for all that..
As mentioned before you can just bend the old water lines to make it work. The compressor outlet will be very close to the starter though.
Old May 2, 2006, 09:11 AM
Account Disabled

If you are going to do mods, do it right the first time, saves money in the long run, go with the 20g-9-5...
Old May 4, 2006, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
If you don't have enough for a basic install kit, then you shouldn't be upgrading your turbo anyway. Read the other threads where people have installed the 20g-9 without the new lines.
check speed element... apparently he's putting together kits for like 120.

i will say this for the last time as this has GOT to be the definitive thread, even tho the poster went off topic in his own thread.

the difference between the 8 and 9 turbo.

both have 10.5 hot side. both have unaltered turbine wheels. both use the same chra, this means you can swap and mix and match these two turbo's parts to your heart's content (tme9 plug inserted here).

the cold side is the only difference. cold side housing has a larger diffuser, this is the snail section, it's both longer and wider in diameter inside, this creates a faster boost up/boost production/boost response. as a result of the added length of the snail section also known as diffuser, the overall housing is larger. the exducer of the 9 turbo is larger to fill up the space inside of the 9 housing (see below for caveats). the inducer remains relatively the same size.

the reason for br moving to 9 housing is to remove all chances of surge on his and now fp's wheel, larger housing also allows more air through even though the wheel that the 20gs are using is based off the old 8 housing which would leave exducer diameters smaller!

small things that are different. the angling of the turbo oil lines is slightly off due to the 9 housing size. the angle of the coolant line is also a bit off. these two can be bent to fit. the cold side outlet pipe is much different and you can't bend this unit to fit it between the two turbos.
Old May 5, 2006, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by trinydex
check speed element... apparently he's putting together kits for like 120.

i will say this for the last time as this has GOT to be the definitive thread, even tho the poster went off topic in his own thread.

the difference between the 8 and 9 turbo.

both have 10.5 hot side. both have unaltered turbine wheels. both use the same chra, this means you can swap and mix and match these two turbo's parts to your heart's content (tme9 plug inserted here).

the cold side is the only difference. cold side housing has a larger diffuser, this is the snail section, it's both longer and wider in diameter inside, this creates a faster boost up/boost production/boost response. as a result of the added length of the snail section also known as diffuser, the overall housing is larger. the exducer of the 9 turbo is larger to fill up the space inside of the 9 housing (see below for caveats). the inducer remains relatively the same size.

the reason for br moving to 9 housing is to remove all chances of surge on his and now fp's wheel, larger housing also allows more air through even though the wheel that the 20gs are using is based off the old 8 housing which would leave exducer diameters smaller!

small things that are different. the angling of the turbo oil lines is slightly off due to the 9 housing size. the angle of the coolant line is also a bit off. these two can be bent to fit. the cold side outlet pipe is much different and you can't bend this unit to fit it between the two turbos.
Good Post.