Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

holy moly wtf ?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2006, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
Maybe he thought that the honeycomb was a restriction...

yeah i read somewhere that it was a restriction,., i thought that it was a part that came with the intake.. so i chucked it. and everything worked fine afterwards so i didnt think anything of it.

i doubt mitsu sells just that honeycomb piece.

anyone know for sure?
thanks for the help

will
Old May 9, 2006, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The honey comb smooths out the air over the MAF. Helps prevent turbulence.
Old May 9, 2006, 05:12 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is not a DSM, you cannot remove the honeycomb. They are there to straighten the air to get a precise reading on the karman vortecies. Even back in DSMs it was never the best decision to do, but more of a "riggery" attempt at leaning the car out without a fuel controller.
Old May 9, 2006, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
EDIT: Just checked, hey its been a while since I had to look into my MAF, I have one. But I think you are crazy for taking it out. Ya it worked OK in LT1/LS1s but thats just OK.

Last edited by Smike; May 9, 2006 at 05:27 PM. Reason: I am an idoit
Old May 9, 2006, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

i do believe back in the day on the 1g DSM's you were actually able to "modify" the honeycomb to produce real whp; however, due to the technology that is present on our cars i would not advise it. get a new MAF
Old May 9, 2006, 06:39 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joseph k
i do believe back in the day on the 1g DSM's you were actually able to "modify" the honeycomb to produce real whp; however, due to the technology that is present on our cars i would not advise it. get a new MAF
You never modified, only removed. Even on 1995-1999 4g63's you could remove 1-3 of 4 honeycombs, but it always had some side affects. It was all in the AFR's and was a rigged way of doing it.
Old May 9, 2006, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
You never modified, only removed. Even on 1995-1999 4g63's you could remove 1-3 of 4 honeycombs, but it always had some side affects. It was all in the AFR's and was a rigged way of doing it.

yup, i knew it was something like that. just couldn't remember exactly
Old May 9, 2006, 07:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
By removing that honeycomb, you completely threw off the ability of the MAF to correctly meter air, its 99% of your problem, but you can't resolve anything until thats replaced...

The honeycomb also sets up the ratio of metered to unmetered air passed through the MAF and when you throw off this balance, you will get all sorts of errors as turbulence and other things screw up your readings.. The least of your problems being the fuel trims being off...
Old May 9, 2006, 08:10 PM

so you think i can just get a honeycomb and it should be good again? or would i need a whole new maf setup?
Old May 9, 2006, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
Congrats, you'll probably need to buy another MAF. There was no good reason whatsoever to remove the diffuser (honeycomb) except to guarantee that the MAF won't work properly once you did.
it's more like... should i slap you. not one piece of documentation referring to evos says that you can SAFELY remove the maf screening. dunno where you get bright ideas that didn't even necessarily work on 2G dsms (they told you not to remove CERTAIN honeycombs). anyway, it's not big surprise that your maf is broken or not reading correctly now.

what i find most hilarious is, maf is reading more air than it's getting, i'm hitting fuel cut, fueling is all over the place WAHTS DA PROBLAM GUYS???
Old May 9, 2006, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

wow.......just wow. I don't understand how you would think like this.......wow.
Old May 9, 2006, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Ummmmmmmmm did anyone notice he said he is making 20psi in neutral? I don't care WTF you do to the MAF honeycomb you aren't going to do that unless the BOV is stuck shut...probably from being installed backwards or just plain stuck...
Old May 9, 2006, 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

ya i saw that but thought it would make for a really awesome launch. lol! just kidding. im just not too convinced its only the bov, because someone i know, wink wink, once installed their bov backwards and it didnt do that. but i swear it wasnt me ok.
Old May 10, 2006, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by MrMejia
wow.......just wow. I don't understand how you would think like this.......wow.
+1

and lemme see this page that told you the honeycomb was a restriction on evo's...
Old May 10, 2006, 01:08 AM
Evolved Member

Removing the honeycombs on DSM sensors would provide lower readings, and should in this case too, unless there is something specific to the path the air takes that causes acutal metering problems, not just metered:unmetered ratio problems. At any rate, they should be left in, especially since the EVO MAS is good for upwards of 60 lbs/min.

The only time I have seen a hacked MAS implemented properly is the hacked 2G MAS with DSMlink. 14% more metering capacity (upgrade from 50 lbs max to 57) with no side effects. But I still don't like the idea of it. People did have a lot of success with the Blaha MAS mod on the 1Gs waaay back in the day, but that's practically before my time

Quick Reply: holy moly wtf ?