Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

best intake

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2003, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best intake

what is the best intake system, performance-wise, for the evo.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 02:39 AM

I think I'm gonna wait for AEM to come out with the V2 cold air intake for the car. I know AEM already has the short ram available in the color of blue. In any case... AEM intakes rock... their reputation is outstanding.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 02:47 AM

*update*

You can just get a K&N filter and replace the stock filter that's in your car for now if you want. K&N filters are one of if not the best filters you can buy for optimal air flow without decreasing the filter capabilities.

I heard from someone although I didn't confirm that a turbo charged car can't take cold air intakes for some reason. Someone check to see if that's accurate for me ? Intake modifications are going to be in my buy list very soon and I want to make sure before I buy anything... thanks !
Old Apr 15, 2003, 03:08 AM

There is no "best" intake....almost 70% of teh intake out there are gonna perform about the same.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 03:10 AM

Originally posted by EvoCorp
I think I'm gonna wait for AEM to come out with the V2 cold air intake for the car. I know AEM already has the short ram available in the color of blue. In any case... AEM intakes rock... their reputation is outstanding.
OK!! I am stupid or was high on chocolate when I put in the first entry. AEM already has their ORIGINAL cold air intake kit and short ram kit available for the Evo VIII.
For the original cold air, the part number is: 21-435.
For short ram, the part number is: 22-435
AEM has yet to put out their V2 cold air intake kit for the Evo... YET. However, I would still replace the AEM filter with a K&N one. I "THINK"... rumored actually, that the AEM intake kits actually use K&N filters, but I have yet been able to confirm that.

Last edited by EvoCorp; Apr 15, 2003 at 03:15 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 07:33 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

There are already several threads covering this subject. Pruven Performance and Vishnu Tuning recommend that you save your money. Intake related performance improvements haven proven to be minimal.

Colder intake air temperatures do increase performance, but only if the lower temperature is still present by the time it finally arrives in the combustion chamber. Turbo cars will probably realize less benefits here than a normally aspirated engine due to the longer intake path and heat encountered along the way.

Other wise they just make more noise and some people think they look cool.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by EvoCorp

I heard from someone although I didn't confirm that a turbo charged car can't take cold air intakes for some reason. Someone check to see if that's accurate for me ?
That is incorrect... there is no reason that a turbo car or anytype of induction car can't have "ram air/cold air/fresh air" induction installed.

Infact, it is greatly prefered... the cooler the air the better the car performs (non technical explanation)
Old Apr 15, 2003, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

AEM uses KN filters. You can see this in some of the pics on AEM.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

whats aem's website again?
Old Apr 16, 2003, 06:25 PM

http://www.aempower.com/car_home.htm
Old Apr 17, 2003, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

where do we find out how much the intake is on there website?
Old Apr 18, 2003, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haven't any of you guys looked at intakes from Japan???
Old Apr 20, 2003, 01:58 AM

The best intake is the Pipercross Viper Evolution.

Race spec intake, so you will need to custom fit it... (there are no "versions" for different models of car)

It's a Ram Air system that integrates perfectly with the Evolution 6, but I'm not sure how it would look/work with the new Cedia body used in the 7 and 8.

I'll show you mine when it's finished ;-) Promise!

(btw - you would need a mappable ECU to use it though... but that's true of most "extreme" changes to an intake)
Old Apr 20, 2003, 02:45 AM

they new import tuner has an intake test, the flow benched and dynoed 12 intakes on an rsx (i know, not a lancer or evo, but it has a point), an injen short ram with a jackson racing filter flowed the most cfm, while the aem original cai made the most power. they did not test an injen cai, which imho would have made as much if not more power than the aem.
Old Apr 20, 2003, 05:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by turbofreek
they new import tuner has an intake test, the flow benched and dynoed 12 intakes on an rsx (i know, not a lancer or evo, but it has a point), an injen short ram with a jackson racing filter flowed the most cfm, while the aem original cai made the most power. they did not test an injen cai, which imho would have made as much if not more power than the aem.
Remember that all this "intake" information testerd on:

1) cars that are not the EVO

2) NA cars vs FI cars

will not necessarily pertain to the EVO and have any bearing on what the EVO would do.

In other words, disregard what you read when it comes to figuring out what will be the best for the EVO.