Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

High Velocity Exhaust Jackets (Thermo-Tec)

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2006, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
High Velocity Exhaust Jackets (Thermo-Tec)

or
Old May 27, 2006, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for a V-8...anyhting that can reduce under hood temps is good

Last edited by Jer.k; May 27, 2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old May 27, 2006, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always heard the wraps can get wet and cause the metal to degrade over time.

I got my downpipe coated by Performance Coatings in Auburn, WA. and they did a fantastic job. The entire pipe was covered inside and out with the 2000 degree stuff. If I ever take my manifold off or O2 housing, its definately going back to get the treatment. http://www.performancecoatings.com/

They also have the shiny coating crap (Chromex I think) that the V8 guys usually like

**edit** forgot to mention, it was only $60 for the dp coating. They measured it right on the counter to come up with the pricing. It was a 2.75" (Blitz) and such and such long...

Last edited by boostedwrx; May 27, 2006 at 05:18 PM. Reason: forgot to mention price!
Old May 27, 2006, 05:20 PM

Metal will degrade whatever you do...

Turn your car on... let it heat up, heat will dry out wrap every time you start the engine.
Old May 28, 2006, 08:39 AM

actually if you soak the wrap in water b4 you apply it,you don't breathe in fiberglass, and once it heats up it'll contract,
Old May 28, 2006, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VIIII
actually if you soak the wrap in water b4 you apply it,you don't breathe in fiberglass, and once it heats up it'll contract,
Exactly.

You wet the wrap before you wrap it around the piping, and then wen it dries, it actually tightens around the piping even more.

Once it's dried, it will pretty much last for a long time.

I've done my downpipe and testpipe and recommend it to everyone.

Those jackets, however, are pretty much pointless. They're not tight enough around the piping to insulate the heat as well as traditional wrapping which completely encloses around the piping instead of leaving open gaps for the heat to radiate out from.
Old May 28, 2006, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VIIII
damn i didnt know that, i just wrapped it dry and hose clamped it (talking about my DP)