Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

MR 9 best clutch for high hp? dailydriven

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2006, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MR 9 best clutch for high hp? dailydriven

I have 380 whp and 395 tourqe right now but next week 40r kit gets put on and Im curious to see what doyou guys think I drive alot I meannnnn alot maybe over 1000 miles a week

It currently has a ACT Street Clutch

I like the act but Im use to my honda days w/ a 4puck clutch I want a better clutch then the ACT

what doyou guys recommend? something I would have to worry about and something for daily driving I dont care if it takes a little getting use too. Im just that type of person that doesnt want to have to think about the clutch one bit... I slipped my act really bad the other day by accident pull out to a road cause the car was rolling a little faster than I thought and pulled out anyways and for me to get the power I needed I ended up slippin the hell out of the clutch and you could smell it for like 20minutes after words .....

what can I go with that willl last and I can drive 1000 miles a week on no problem.
Old May 31, 2006, 12:59 PM

Probably a twin disc Exedy, it will be good for your high HP but there is a thread with a man that just got one, you should look into it.
Evolved Member

ACT Extreme Duty Kit, MB7-XTSS for about $630.

Holds 636ft/lbs, what else do you need?

Last edited by BBYBruno; May 31, 2006 at 03:25 PM.
Evolved Member

6 puck or some tripple disc carbon clutch
Old May 31, 2006, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

My recommendation will be, always use the Tilton Twin-Disc with Cerametallic discs.

Darin
Old May 31, 2006, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1000 miles a week on a car that probably has a built motor and a 40R? Perhaps you should buy a Prius or something.

You're not going to get a ton of mileage out of any of these high hp capable clutches.
Old May 31, 2006, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exedy Twin Carbon or Triple Carbon, depending on your budget. 1000 miles a week on a GT40 is probably not very smart.
Old May 31, 2006, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Please DON'T buy anything with carbon discs unless it's a drag race car, always. The biggest issue is with heat. Carbon discs need a ton of heat to operate properly and in most daily driven applications you won't have the opportunity to heat the discs properly each time. That being said, you will wear the discs out abnormally fast. Stay with Cerametallic discs, they are very grippy and will last a while.

Darin
Old May 31, 2006, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

I have an ATS and drive about 300 to 500 a week and I have 458 hp.
Old May 31, 2006, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Who the **** drives 1000 miles a week in an Evo, what are you doing? Did you turn your car into a taxi?
Old May 31, 2006, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by djtmotorsports
Please DON'T buy anything with carbon discs unless it's a drag race car, always. The biggest issue is with heat. Carbon discs need a ton of heat to operate properly and in most daily driven applications you won't have the opportunity to heat the discs properly each time. That being said, you will wear the discs out abnormally fast. Stay with Cerametallic discs, they are very grippy and will last a while.

Darin
Not true, carbon clutch are good for street, autoX, and roadracing. The disc will heat up as you drive and will provide you w/ the necessary grip. These conditions does not require 100%, max grip as drag racing does. So unless you dump your clutch at 6000-7000rpm at every stop light / stop sign drag racing style the clutch does not need to get heated.
If you drag race w/ a carbon clutch it will not last long.

A 40r in a daily driver !!! I have a stroker and still think the 3076r feel kinda laggy w/ it.
You may have to rethink your choice of turbo just my .02
Old May 31, 2006, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by 600+hp
Not true, carbon clutch are good for street, autoX, and roadracing. The disc will heat up as you drive and will provide you w/ the necessary grip. These conditions does not require 100%, max grip as drag racing does. So unless you dump your clutch at 6000-7000rpm at every stop light / stop sign drag racing style the clutch does not need to get heated.
If you drag race w/ a carbon clutch it will not last long.

A 40r in a daily driver !!! I have a stroker and still think the 3076r feel kinda laggy w/ it.
You may have to rethink your choice of turbo just my .02

I cant find a 35r anywhere which is what I really want so I bought the 40r for now till I find a 35r.

stock bottom end and I just like driving alot

I frequent york, pa alot cause thats where I work and Im located in baltimore... and ocean city is allways fun put it like this I have had the car for say almost 6 months and it has 23xxx on it lol and I picked it up w/ 1xx
Old May 31, 2006, 08:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I got gt35r "s" in stock hit us up.
Old May 31, 2006, 09:00 PM

now Im pisssed GrRRRRRRRRRR

pmed
Old Jun 1, 2006, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by djtmotorsports

Darin

Ive run a carbon clutch for three years now almost, with over 50k on the clutch it self and as many hard launches as I can remember. just the same, you are correct, the carbon clutches need the heat....however, for every day use it is NOT an issue.

The only thing to remember before using a carbon clutch to its full potential is to ensure that it has enough heat....not a tremendous amount by any consideration.

An aborted launch, at around 4500-5000, slipping the clutch will do it just fine. Do that before you launch it hard and it'll be good.

On the other hand, I agree with Darin 100% when it comes to the Tilton. IMO, there isn't a better engineered clutch for the money the cerametallic costs.

Noisey, but quite the unit.

Quick Reply: MR 9 best clutch for high hp? dailydriven