Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help with flywheel autopsy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2006, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with flywheel autopsy

Okay, bad pic here: http://www.imageigloo.com/viewer.php...16Image009.jpg

There seem to be three distinct rings on the disk surface area. The outer ring is biggest and has the closest to normal wear on both the flywheel and the disk. The center ring, if you could see the disk surface, seems to have very little contact. The inner ring closest to the crank bolts is very blue. I'd guess that had the most pressure. The pressure plate side is very similar looking but not quite as bad.

Anyone disagree? Think it came like that from the factory? This flywheel has about 23k miles on it and it was smoked about 3 times. Once, really bad. Could heat warp it like that?

Lastly, would this be safe to resurface and use again or should it be checked professionally for cracks first?

Thanks for any input.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 08:01 PM
Former Sponsor

I have seen a lot worse. The main question is: How flat is it? If you put a perfectly straight edge over the whole surface of the flywheel, you will notice that is is concave. How much is what will decide whether or not it is worth the trouble to resurface. If you can put a .020" feeler gauge between the innermost point of the disc surface and the straight edge, then it is questionable. Is the back of the flywheel blue? That will also give you an idea how much heat it has seen. Cracks are usually not an issue on the EVO because it is ductile or forged, not gray iron like most flywheels. In the case of the EVO, the flywheel won't blow apart so even if it is totally warped and unusable at least it is safe.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 02:03 AM
Evolving Member

Thank you, Dirk.

You were exactly the person I was hoping to hear from.

Would you think it got that way due to heat or could it have come from the factory like that?

I wasn't going to use it myself but I wanted to check that it was usable before selling it really cheap to someone.