Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch update.....I think I'm done with the Evo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2006, 03:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch update.....I think I'm done with the Evo

Well, I figured i'd start a new thread since this is a different situation. Ya, that's right, situation. I had the Competition stage 2 clutch put in. It was reccommended not only by a local AWD shop, but VIP garage up in northern virginia who does nothing but Evo's and DSM's. I must say...............it feels like pure ****. This is the most chattery clutch I've ever felt in my LIFE!! The engagement is HORRIBLE!! My ****ty ACT felt better than this. On a positive note, my pedal pressure feels great and there is no more vibration. I don't know what to do. I'm going to take it back to the shop.

I'm seriously getting fed up with this. I didn't plan on spending $2400 on 2 clutch jobs. I wanted to spend it on modding. I don't track this car, I don't drive it hard, I rarely every launch it. This is really about it for me. I'm going to fix this, and I'm getting a BMW or Lexus. I can't do this anymore.

PS: I know sometimes chatter is normal with a new clutch, but this thing is horrible. It's almost like the car doesn't wanna move forward at all until clutch is fully engaged. It is sooooo chattery before engagement though.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 03:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hang in there bro, they should fix it. not keep charging you too. I have been there also, you can get thru this, just relax. And YES, I know it sucks now.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 04:05 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah but the shop that did my clutch was fed up with my car. They had issues getting the throwout bearing to release. They basically said they were happy to see my car go. That's not a comforting feeling when I'm going to need to bring it back to them.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 04:44 AM
Evolving Member

dam man sorry to hear that! I remember when my exedy twin plate was first installed, The first thought that popped into my head, "was holly ****". There was alot of clucth chatter, and i had to get used to it. Good luck with your situation!
Old Aug 12, 2006, 04:51 AM
Evolving Member

yeah im really considering one of those new 3 series, i test drove one and man they are sweet.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Assassin
Yeah but the shop that did my clutch was fed up with my car. They had issues getting the throwout bearing to release. They basically said they were happy to see my car go. That's not a comforting feeling when I'm going to need to bring it back to them.
Don't worry about that either!! I get the courtesy "eyes rolling" everytime I pull up to get my car worked on also. I just leave a bottle of Tums in the passenger seat when I drop it off to get worked on!!
Old Aug 12, 2006, 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dave9172
yeah im really considering one of those new 3 series, i test drove one and man they are sweet.
Ya that's what I'm talkin about. Because I can't ****ing fathom putting 2400 into a car.....and it's not any faster. Screw this. I love the Evo, i guess i just got a crappy one.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 05:26 AM
Evolving Member

sit back and chill out! the clutch is def. a weak point in our cars but if you buy the right one the first time you shouldnt have to do it for a while. id recommend the exedy or cusco twin disk! their pricey but can launch all day and doesnt even phase it!
Old Aug 12, 2006, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Man, I don't want an exedy twin disc. It's too damn grabby. I don't really race my car at all. I can't even remember the last time I launched it. And you can count on one hand how much i have. I just want something better than stock that performs well.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

titlon baby. i love mine its grabby but like you can control it easily. only isue is on decel i get to listen to the plates chatter together and sounds like my dp or exhaust is ratteling on something like a honda haha.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 07:39 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Assassin
Man, I don't want an exedy twin disc. It's too damn grabby. I don't really race my car at all. I can't even remember the last time I launched it. And you can count on one hand how much i have. I just want something better than stock that performs well.
I've got an Exedy HD twin and it is not AT ALL "grabby". However, it does talk to you at stops with the clutch depressed (clatter). If it were not for that issue, I'd say it is perfect. Drivability is great.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 07:49 AM

Why didn't you just go back to a stock clutch or something less aggresive? If you are not planning on racing or anything like that.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Because I wanted something that would last longer than the stock clutch. I'm good at driving my car, but I'm not perfect. So I wouldn't something that could withstand any screwups that might occur.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my next clutch will be a twin organic type. Arent some of them around 2100lbs??
Old Aug 12, 2006, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

You're a good driver, and don't drive hard, yet you're on your third clutch? How many miles do you have on your Evo?
You spent $2400 on two clutch jobs!? Sounds like you need to find a new shop to do your installs. $1200 to install a clutch is insane. I'd be willing to do it for half that price
It sounds like a BMW or Lexus would be a good car for you to consider. I wouldn't buy an Evo if it was simply a daily driver. It is expensive to maintain and drive but it's worth it if you use it to its full ability...at the track.

Quick Reply: Clutch update.....I think I'm done with the Evo