Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil leak at 300 miles...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2007, 02:11 AM
Rom
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oil leak at 300 miles...

Hi all,

I just found a huge puddle of oil under my Evo IX, right behind the front passenger wheel. It's definitely oil, and the dipstick is showing the oil to be right on the minimum mark (so it hasn't run out yet, at least). I'm taking it to the dealer first thing in the morning, but I wanted to know if this might be a known or common issue. I've done a few searches and haven't found anything similar. I only just noticed it tonight so I haven't done much diagnostic work.

Any comments appreciated. I'm very technical, so don't worry about going over my head with any suggestions This is just my first IX, so you guys are far more experienced than me (but I'll be learning this model fast!).

Thanks!

S.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 02:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can you tell where its coming from?
Old Jan 6, 2007, 02:14 AM
Evolving Member

If its under warranty I wouldnt worry about it, just make sure before you start the car tomorrow you check to make sure it has enough oil to get to your dealership.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 02:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this shouldnt happen...take it to the dealer right away...and only 300 mi., you can check the car yourself...and see where its coming from...
Old Jan 6, 2007, 02:28 AM
Rom
Evolving Member

Thanks for the replies!

I will be getting it straight to the dealership in the morning (and ensuring adequate oil), but considering all the comments of incompetent Mitsubishi service technicians, I am a little worried.

I did not get a chance to lift the car up (it was past midnight when I was looking at it), so I couldn't get underneath to see where it was coming from. It doesn't look like it's leaking now, but we'll see in the morning.

Since the car is still breaking in (for the first 600 miles) I have been driving very carefully, and have not exceeded 5000RPM (as per Mitsubishi instructions). Just wanted to point out that I haven't stressed the engine at all yet.

I'll let everyone know how it goes!

Thanks!

S.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 02:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The oil filter and lines to the oil cooler are right by the fron t passenger wheel.

Maybe you hit something and it came up and made a hole in the filer or lines.

I havent heard of anything like this happening.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

300 mile oil leak.

all i know is take it right back to the dealer and get a new one. its all about warranty!
Old Jan 6, 2007, 08:21 AM
Rom
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
The oil filter and lines to the oil cooler are right by the fron t passenger wheel.

Maybe you hit something and it came up and made a hole in the filer or lines.

I havent heard of anything like this happening.
I guess that's possible, but I would have expected a LOT more oil, and most of it while driving (while the oil pump is running). I drove a few miles after the issue, and I never got an oil pressure warning, and there is still enough oil to be at the minimum mark.

Anyway, I'm off to the dealer now! I'll let everyone know what they say (and what lame excuse they come up with for not giving warranty on a 4-day old car!).

Thanks!

S.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 08:29 AM

If it was from the top of the oil filter it could be the stock oil pressure plug need to be resealed. Good luck
Old Jan 6, 2007, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Rom
I guess that's possible, but I would have expected a LOT more oil, and most of it while driving (while the oil pump is running). I drove a few miles after the issue, and I never got an oil pressure warning, and there is still enough oil to be at the minimum mark.

Anyway, I'm off to the dealer now! I'll let everyone know what they say (and what lame excuse they come up with for not giving warranty on a 4-day old car!).

Thanks!

S.
They shouldn't give you a hassle if it's a brand new stock car.

Where are you located?
Old Jan 6, 2007, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

it also happened to me on my 3000mile. When I had it checked they told me that the "oil is over flowing i the transfer case". after that no more oil leaks.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 02:40 PM
Rom
Evolving Member

Okay guys... The dealer says the oil was coming from the oil drain plug. They found that it wasn't completely tight (about a 1/4 turn loose). That would explain why it only happened overnight slowly when the oil was sitting in the sump, but that seemed like a lot of oil to have come from a 1/4 turn loose drain plug. This morning when I went down some more oil had leaked out, but much less than the night before. Oil is designed to permeate through the tiniest of gaps so I guess it is possible - I haven't personally inspected the design of the drain plug and crush washer.

Lets hope that was it. They tightened it up and added fresh oil, so we'll see tonight. I hope it doesn't leak again as I had a trip planned tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the replies!

S.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 02:49 PM
Account Disabled

How's the leak?
Old Jan 6, 2007, 03:15 PM
Rom
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
How's the leak?
Umm, see my post above I'll know tomorrow if it's still leaking (it only leaks overnight) - the dealer says it's fixed though!

Thanks!

S.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 03:15 PM
Rom
Evolving Member

Oil leak solved, I think. At least, it hasn't leaked again yet.

Thanks!

S.

Quick Reply: Oil leak at 300 miles...