Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Whining Noise

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2007, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whining Noise

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a whining noise which sounds like its coming from the right front. I never heard it before and along with that it almost sounds like my rear brake sticks from time to time, after it sits for a long period of time like over night in the cold I get a banging noise when backing up and even sometimes when I turn to the left. But only first thing in the morning and when its cold. But this whining thing is new, I did have a clutch put in about a month ago do you think that could be related somehow?
Old Jan 18, 2007, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Well, you do have a couple of notched belts running on the front of the engine. They will whine especially when the weather gets cold. And if you park the car with wet brakes they can freeze or rust weld and this will make a fairly loud noise when they break free.

In other words, normal.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

as for the breaks, its probably the rear pads sticking to the rotor do to using your e-brake. if you can park you car tonight without using the e-brake(just leaving it in gear, only on a level surface) see if the popping noise is still there in the morning.
Old Jan 18, 2007, 04:04 PM

Yeah I figured that much about the brakes but the Whining noise isn't a belt whine its more of a rearend gear whine. I forgot to mention that I only here it when I slow down. It does not whine at idle or under acceleration, only when I am coming to a stop and I just started to notice it today.